Thread: Thoughts about group rides/sweepers.....

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Thoughts about group rides/sweepers.....

Ok, I don't usually go on group rides. It's usually solo, or with maybe 3 friends tops. I find it to be much more cohesive because it's easier to get 4 people of about the same speed, riding style, and temperment, than a big group. Add to the speed and style difference, the issues of everyone having to piss or eat or whatever at different times, and you get the picture.

Recently, I had the pleasure of going on a group ride with Jefe and Anne (Thanks!), Chris and Bonnie, and Bill and Suzy (if I remember correctly, sorry, I'm TERRIBLE at names!), and a bunch of other people.

My suggestion for sweepers is this: People that organize rides, should have everyone chip in and buy a couple florescent safety vests, in 2 or more different colors if possible. The sweeper for each group (fast, medium, slow, etc.) wears the vest. That way the leader of the group doesn't have to try and count heads, they know that the last person in the group is ALWAYS going to be the rider in the (whatever color) vest. They see all the colored vests, and they know everyone is accounted for.

Thoughts? Discuss!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Re: Thoughts about group rides/sweepers.....

Not a bad idea. I agree with you on smaller groups. 4 bikes is my ideal number.

Looking for the guy with a vest through your side mirrors isn't as practical as you might think. I can't tell which bike is behind me, the head lights all look the same.

So here's what I do.

I count how many bikes we have and then count head lights to see if we've lost one. The guy riding sweep rides with his high beams on. That makes him easy to spot. Everyone else has their low beams on.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

I agree. For small groups, < 6 or 8, keeping track is pretty easy. In large packs however, the sweep using high beams or in a hi viz color helps me personally, from having to keep count of stragglers. I know if I see the sweep coming up the road I can keep going. Avoids having to stop and count heads.

HOWEVER, that doesn't relieve the ride leader from coordinating with the sweep as on all rides.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

This sounds way too military for me...where they shuve reflective belts amd vests onto us as a mandatory safety tool.
    Logistically, how would you dispurse the vests?
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Quote Originally Posted by Airreed View Post
    This sounds way too military for me...where they shuve reflective belts amd vests onto us as a mandatory safety tool.
    Logistically, how would you dispurse the vests?
    Doesn't necessarily have to be a reflective vest. Newbies on the track usually wear bright colored shirts.

You give them out at the beginning of the ride..... when everyone meets up and talks about the rules and discusses which riding group they belong in.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Not a bad idea. I agree with you on smaller groups. 4 bikes is my ideal number.

Looking for the guy with a vest through your side mirrors isn't as practical as you might think. I can't tell which bike is behind me, the head lights all look the same.

So here's what I do.

I count how many bikes we have and then count head lights to see if we've lost one. The guy riding sweep rides with his high beams on. That makes him easy to spot. Everyone else has their low beams on.
    I rode sweep on most rides that I did in Texas, mainly because I tend to ride slower than most and don't want to get in anyone's way. I would ride with the high beam on and when the leader stopped to wait for the group I would flash the hi/lo until he gave me a signal (raise left hand or start going again).

No, the prospects have to wear hi viz vests. It's how we roll.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    No, the prospects have to wear hi viz vests. It's how we roll.
    Prospects are always at the back... and hang arounds. Everyone knows that!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

This is a great idea! I have a reflective vest anybody can borrow at any time, just send me a PM.... I will be bringing it to the next group ride I go on, that's for sure!
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post
    This is a great idea! I have a reflective vest anybody can borrow at any time, just send me a PM.... I will be bringing it to the next group ride I go on, that's for sure!
    I'd say simply looking for the presence of a certain brightly-colored vest would be way easier than trying to count headlights. And everyone's highbeams are gonna be different. This is foolproof. Either it's there, or it isn't, something easily noticed at a glance. The whole idea behind warning lights. I don't look in the mirrors while I ride, but I know we could have really used one on the last ride when we were at a stop. Thankfully Ann actually HAD a vest on, that's what gave me the idea.

I thought that for people who organize group ride on a regular basis, with a known (say, a Meetup) group, it could simply be part of "dues" or a donation. The vest is either worn by one of the organizers, or, brought to the first meeting place and given to the designated sweeper for the group(s).

I hear ya on the military thing, I stopped working at China Lake CA (Navy) right as they implemented the vest thing. If you don't want to wear a vest, don't sweep......simple!
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Wed Mar 27th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Prospects are always at the back... and hang arounds. Everyone knows that!
    ......until they pass the initiation!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian