Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Plasti Dip

Project Plasti Dip

Having heard about this from a friend of mine and then seeing Ezzzy's thread about it in the "Wheel Deals" section. Figured I'd post up some pics of what I've done to some wheels of mine.

Before:

After:

It's pretty cool stuff, just waiting for the first coat to cure a bit and then do a second. Stuff looks really good and will be interesting to see when it comes time to change them paint or touch up, how it will peel off like I've seen on YouTube.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Fri May 3rd, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Re: Plasti Dip

That's 1 coat? I'm messing around with this and found you need like 6-7 coats.

Yeah I went pretty thick I think. I guess it was more like two coats in one, as I was spraying and filling in the areas I just kept adding a little more to even things out. But yeah, basically one coat lol!!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Is this from a spray can or sprayer? I found if you spray too thick it gets really textured. I covered the tail of my bike with the flat black and it shows scuffs every time something touches it and I even peel some off with my boot. I don' t know if I didn't prep it right or didn't wait long enough to fully cure. If you don't put enough layers on, I know it won't peel.

I thought about removing it but yesterday as I was going for a ride, 2 people had to yell at me to tell me what a sick bike I had. I've never gotten compliments on the street like that before! So now I'm thinking I should do the tank and front fender as well!

It's spray can. I do have a paint sprayer but it makes a huge mess and I haven't used it in years. Last time I did, I painted my Gixxer Thou after my crash at a track day. Ended up doing a good job as far as paint goes, just got everywhere.

Yeah I'm doing layers now, I just did another coat and have about 1/3 of a can left. I already burned up can #1 so I'll just see how far can #2 gets me. If I need more I'll go get some. I'm going to let the wheels sit all week before I throw them on the car.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

The wheels will be going on this:

and of course in keeping with tradition of myself and the love of all things black. I test drove a Orange one, then immediately asked the salesman if they had it in Black
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Looks good!

My experience with it is that you need NEED 4-5 coats if you want that stuff to be durable and come off without a problem.

This stuff looks good but it has to be thick or its to thin to pull off.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Looks good!

My experience with it is that you need NEED 4-5 coats if you want that stuff to be durable and come off without a problem.

This stuff looks good but it has to be thick or its to thin to pull off.
    Yeah I'm about to do the fifth coat right now and then I think I'm done. It's pretty thick right now so one more and I think it'll be good to go.

Yeah this stuff does look great and I'm happy with it. Really a great product and you can't beat it for what it is. $6.50 a can and if you want to change colors just peel it off and put on a new one.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Good good. I read though the rest of the post and it sounds like you are on the right path.

We dont use that many can because the sprayers that we use do make it smoother but they say to use anywhere between 1/2 can and a full can per wheel (depends on the size of the wheel).

Believe it or not the thicker you spray the smoother it will finish but its hard to do that with the fan of the cans because the bulk of the plasti is at the top and bottom of the fan and it tends to cause terrible drips and runs.

I have clear if you dont want the matte look. FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Good good. I read though the rest of the post and it sounds like you are on the right path.

We dont use that many can because the sprayers that we use do make it smoother but they say to use anywhere between 1/2 can and a full can per wheel (depends on the size of the wheel).

Believe it or not the thicker you spray the smoother it will finish but its hard to do that with the fan of the cans because the bulk of the plasti is at the top and bottom of the fan and it tends to cause terrible drips and runs.

I have clear if you dont want the matte look. FYI
    Yeah I believe sprayers are better and give you a better product. But I went with what I had and figured I'd give the ole rattle can route a try. I just got done with the last coat and you're right, all four wheels took both cans. So I averaged the 1/2 can per wheel objective. Now for them to cure all week and then I put them on at some point during the week and get some pics back up here.

FWIW, I managed to use two cans on four wheels, sizes 17''(two fronts) and 18''(two rears). Just to give anyone an idea of how far the paint can go. I put on a total of six coats and sort of a seventh coat just to finish off the last can for good.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Holy shit 4 rims with only 2 cans! That's great newz! My wife has been wanting her wheels blacked out. Hers are 18 inch wheels. Do you know if they make a glossy version? I have my forks done and they're somewhat dull if you touch them too much they lose their luster
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Check with Ezzzzy on the clear coat. That's what you apply to help get the shine on the paint.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Where can you buy it? I'm guessing you didn't take the tires off to do it?
    too swift on my toes to get caught up wit chyou hoes

Home Depot. No I left the tires on and just masked off some areas.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

How long are you waiting between coats? I did a Plastic piece that came out looking awesome but i should probably do more than one coat as Ezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz suggested to make it more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    How long are you waiting between coats? I did a Plastic piece that came out looking awesome but i should probably do more than one coat as Ezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz suggested to make it more durable.
    I waited between 30-45 mins per coat. Mainly let the previous coat sit get tacky and then re-apply.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

I keep getting texture to mine. How far are you holding the can? I wonder if I should put the cans in warm water like the dip your car forum suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    I keep getting texture to mine. How far are you holding the can? I wonder if I should put the cans in warm water like the dip your car forum suggested.

I quickly figured out you actually need to keep shaking the can, after you have sprayed for a second or two shake the can again and start spraying, I got texture issues until i did that then everything went on nice and smooth.

I quickly figured out you actually need to keep shaking the can, after you have sprayed for a second or two shake the can again and start spraying, I got texture issues until i did that then everything went on nice and smooth.
    ^^^^^
    This..

Also my wheels have cured to a very smooth finish. Very minor texture to it.

P.S.
    I'm holding the can about 12" away.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

OK got me to wondering. I might need a couple of extra coats because the grill turned out to be a bit textured. Will it still work since it's been a couple of weeks when I first dipped it and it's cured now?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    OK got me to wondering. I might need a couple of extra coats because the grill turned out to be a bit textured. Will it still work since it's been a couple of weeks when I first dipped it and it's cured now?
    You can always add but it will only add not bond. If you add more within a few hours it actually reactivates the coats that you have already sprayed and they all become one essentially. Since its been a few weeks the new coats that you will spray will only add to the top of the old ones.

Typically the two biggest contributors to texture or "orange peel" is 1. not spraying thick enough coats and 2. temperature being low.

^^^

Good info to know!

I shook like crazy. Last night the temp was around 70. I think I am spraying too light on the first or second coat or holding the can too far because I'm afraid of it running.

I got it smooth last night. Man, you have to almost kiss the nozzle to the surface you're painting. I put the can in hot water too, that really helped.