Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WEAR YOUR HELMETS!!!!!

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

WEAR YOUR HELMETS!!!!!

One of my best friends, a guy on here who shall remain nameless (by his request) almost died Friday afternoon. He has 2 broken vertebrae in his neck, 3 in his back, couple broken ribs, a nose broken in 3 places, and had some internal bleeding (from smashing his ballz and guts on the tank - thankfully that stopped). Sounds like he went helmet-to-car, but luckily didn't break his jaw or lose teeth too. He's in a full-body brace now, and still in the ICU. Some 72 yr-old lady left-turned him and totalled him and his bike. The helmet saved his life.

Spare a thought or best wishes for him if you have a spare minute and want to.

We saw a ton of Hardley guys riding without helmets yesterday before we visited him in the hospital again. Don't be an idiot like them.....

Stay safe people, and ever vigilant........
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: WEAR YOUR HELMETS!!!!!

Yeah, gear is good. Wishing him a full recovery...
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Oh no! Best wishes for a complete recovery. If it's one of "us" we'll see what we can do to help out.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Wish him a speedy recovery, gear is definitely a must.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

A helmet saved my life too. I hope your friend recovers both his health and his nerves quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    The helmet saved his life
    reading between the lines here, no head trauma?

We saw a ton of Hardley guys riding without helmets yesterday before we visited him in the hospital again. Don't be an idiot like them.....
    As did I, un-believable...

Quote Originally Posted by 3point5 View Post
    reading between the lines here, no head trauma?
    No more ugly or traumatized than he was before the accident, we told him!

As did I, un-believable...
    Yeah, he's lucky in that he can move everything ok, no paralysis, not even temporary. He should make a full recovery.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
    A helmet saved my life too. I hope your friend recovers both his health and his nerves quickly.

Ouch! Been there, done that, years ago. Glad you're ok.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I forgot to mention, no brain injuries, no paralysis either. I forgot to mention, he said he has a couple broken ribs too.

He's in a full carbon fiber back/neck brace. We're gonna get him a bunch of Ducati and other racing stickers to customize it!

Generally, it's not advisable to go 12 Championship rounds with a Buick......

Thanks for the well wishes guys, I'm sure he'll appreciate when he gets back here.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I forgot to mention, no brain injuries, no paralysis either. I forgot to mention, he said he has a couple broken ribs too.

He's in a full carbon fiber back/neck brace. We're gonna get him a bunch of Ducati and other racing stickers to customize it!

Generally, it's not advisable to go 12 Championship rounds with a Buick......

Thanks for the well wishes guys, I'm sure he'll appreciate when he gets back here.
    Christ I am glad he didn't get his life ended by that old lady. More power to him on his recovery!!!!

omg! I hope he has a speedy recovery! I'm hoping the old lady is fully at fault and will pay for all damages?
    I'm glad he was wearing gear. I just made the switch to a leather jacket (from textile) for rides to work and canyons (along with leather pants).
    Sweating for a small amount of time is worth wearing full gear and being alive.
    Last edited by Rabbie303; Mon Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

. I forgot to mention, he said he has a couple broken ribs too.
    In all of my small handful of get-offs, I have never walked away without some sort of injury to my ribs. Even the low speed dumps. It seems inevitable for most crashes. And they take FOR-E-VER to heal, omg!

I think i've seen 2 cruisers with helmets out of the 80+ ive seen in the the past week. Just makes me mad. especially when there's a lady on the back..
    06 GSXR 750

I too never understood why guys on cruisers won't wear proper gear. My dad told me when I was young that skin is the first thing to hit the ground if you wreck. That made an impression on me at a young age. I don't wish any hard to cruisers, but is your ego that big you throw caution to the wind? It's not just the bikers you have to worry about, it's the idiots that don't see us that can change your entire life.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Well wishes for a speedy recovery.

As far as the no helmet cruiser crowd goes, maybe their bandanas, long hair, and black sunglasses are DOT/Snell approved?

I saw so much douchebagery on sportbikes this weekend too. A helmet is a good idea, but if you have a helmet on and no other gear (ie you are wearing gym shorts, tank top, running shoes), the only thing a helmet might do is keep you alive too feel shattered bones and how horribly painful it is to scrape asphalt/sand out of your wounds.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Best wishes, hope for a fast recovery. Glad he didn't die, stupid blind senior citizens!

Harley guys think helmets make you a pussy. What kills me is the same guys will continue to ride with no helmet for that "free feeling", even AFTER one of their buddies almost dies. *facepalm*

A helmet saved my jaw & teeth I'm sure, when I got rear-ended by a blind bitch in her Accord not seeing a red light. Totalled my 929RR.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I always wear one. He had little (if any) road rash, and was probably wearing his leather jacket and jeans. I don't think he slid, but instead came to a very sudden stop, unfortunately. He was just running from his office (coupld blocks from home) to lunch when he got pasted.

I'll pass on the well-wishes, thanks guys!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post

I remember that..crazy raccoon lol

Once upon a time I was one of those morons out riding my cruisers with no helmet. Living in Vegas for 5 years where there is a helmet law and getting into the sportbike world I feel completely naked without a helmet and gear now. It was so weird after I moved back to Denver to see bikers without helmets on. Saw several sport bike guys this past weekend with just sunglasses, along with the dozens of Harley guys. It's mind boggling. I'm against helmet laws and daddy government deciding what's best for me. But I do get it.

Good luck to the downed rider.
    Last edited by Chaos; Mon Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Dang, hope your buddy heals up fast.

So crazy to me people would even take this risk as I am pretty sure a helmet has saved my life more than once; busted two of them in crashes and couldn't imagine how I'd of been without one...really wish it were a law
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Best wishes hope he's recovery go's well
    "Gun's don't kill people, ape's with Gun's kill people."
    Robin williams

Fack, that's terrible. So glad it wasn't any worse for him. Prayers and best wishes for your friend.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    I think i've seen 2 cruisers with helmets out of the 80+ ive seen in the the past week. Just makes me mad. especially when there's a lady on the back..
    Yeah…I've noticed the 'sheep' phenomena…I'll see a group of cruisers where 100% everyone has either a half, 3/4 or full face helmet among other measures such as jackets, chaps and even high-visibility vest…then a complete 180 where a group has minimal protection (gloves, leather vest, eye wear) and I just shake my head...