Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Textile vs. Leather?

Textile vs. Leather?

I'm working on accumulating the proper gear and have some tough choices. I've done a fair amount of research but am torn between getting full on leather and textile jacket and pants. If money were no object, I would get both. As it is, I can't spend that much so I want the best overall usability. I am leaning leather simply for the fact that it's the highest level of protection, I could use it for track days, and leather just rules. But I'm concerned that even with the thermal liner out of the jacket, it will be too hot for summer. Same for pants.

Thoughts?

Re: Textile vs. Leather?

I have a textile jacket, and took out the lining when it got really warm (Sunday) and still got balls hot in it. Could of just been me though.

I always wear textile pants, and a textile jacket in the canyons, i've gone down my fair share while wearing textile and it has protected me very well, i have no complaints. But it is also you get what you pay for scenario. I wear Joe Rocket textile pants and have both a Scorpion Jacket and Icon Jacket. I imagine if you buy cheap textile over the web it may not hold up as well if you go down.

I also have a one piece leather suit for the track in which i have gone down in once at IMI that did its job as well, walked away without a single scratch.

As far as venting my leather suit vents like crazy, I cannot wear it in the winter at all because of how much air gets in it. I tried once and made it about 3 miles before I turned around and went back home. But my Textile all has removable Liners so I don't get terribly hot.

It's really your choice in degree of protection, some will say Leather is better, some will say Textile nowadays will hold up just as well. My suggestion is don't buy the cheap stuff.

Hope this helps and good on you for getting proper hear though

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

I have a Scorpion textile jacket and Joe Rocket textile pants that I wear in the canyons. I have not gotten out to a track yet (this year should be the year) but I plan to get leathers for that. Speed is my primary factor in choosing what type of gear to wear. In the canyons, I rarely ever get beyond 70mph or so. But if I was running up to 100+ on a track, I wouldn't trust textile to hold together in a crash/slide. Although I have worn leather suits before and honestly I prefer leather for all applications simply because I feel more confident knowing Im well-protected. I've crashed in textiles before and while they've done very well, they still wear through the shell from abrasion. There's also the risk of the jacket riding up in a slide and leaving my midsection exposed to some degree.

Not sure of your budget, but you might look into an Aerostitch suit, specifically the Roadcrafter. Ive never owned one but a lot of road warriors swear by these suits as an all-purpose, all-weather option. They run around $800-$1000 last time I looked.

Here's another option- perforated leather jackets & pants. The ones with all the holes in the front panels. They are almost as nice as mesh in summer when you're moving; stuck in traffic.. not so much. Of course the downside is they let in so much air in winter that you can't wear it without a thermal liner and a hoodie.

I would say except for a week or two in August, you can wear regular leather here year round.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I bought this jacket last year works well. leather hybrid

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Here's another option- perforated leather jackets & pants. The ones with all the holes in the front panels. They are almost as nice as mesh in summer when you're moving; stuck in traffic.. not so much. Of course the downside is they let in so much air in winter that you can't wear it without a thermal liner and a hoodie.

I would say except for a week or two in August, you can wear regular leather here year round.

I bought a perforated leather jacket and it flows a ton of air. Even with the liner in, I can't wear it in temps below 60 or it gets too cold without a lot of layers under it once you hit highway speeds. As far as in traffic when temps are over 90, perf leather or textile, I am uncomfortably hot so I go with the perf leather for extra protection. I don't wear either of my Joe Rocket textile jackets anymore because compared to the perforated leather it feels like I am wearing nothing but a long sleeve shirt. I have textile pants that i wear for canyon rides and just layer up underneath if it is going to be cool.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

another vote for perforated, but as has been said, can get chilly in lower temps.

If you are worried about perforated flowing too much cold air in the winter look for a jacket with zip close air vents. I have a Speed and Strength jacket that flows a lot of air with the vents open and in winter I put in the liner and close the scopes and I'm nice and toasty. When I was ready for my first track day I picked up a pair of S&S leather pants, zipped it to the jacket and voila, instant track suit.

If you may end up doing track days, forget textile. Look for a leather jacket with a 360 degree zipper that you can eventually add a pair of pants to.

Now that I have one of each, I'm going to say pretty much what everyone else said. Leather jacket for the canyons and cooler days, but when it's really hot textile all the way.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Get both in one jacket! But keep in mind you need something with a 360 zipper for the track.

Depends on how safe you feel.

I know that when I'm in the canyons I'm not being a dbag or riding above my limits so if I go down in a corner it should be relatively slow. Speeds less than 40. I don't see any reason why my textile wouldn't hold up to this. I've seen textiles hold up to worse than that for other people. If you hit the guardrail or a tree then having leathers versus a textile won't save you from breaking bones. Ensuring you have a good back protector and sufficient arm protection in your textile is key though.

I also have leathers. But after becoming severely dehydrated, on the brink of passing out, on a hot day in the canyons, I prefer only to where my leathers when I am on the highway or when it gets cold.

If you treat the canyons like your own personal track then I'd probably recommend getting full leathers. You'll need them when you go down.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

On a budget, you must choose wisely. I'd say a good textile with CE armor would be the best bet. I have 3 different sets of gear:

1. Mesh jacket with liner and partially-meshed pants (use with either mesh or textile jacket).

2. Textile jacket with liner (Belstaff - LOVE it!).

3. 2-pc Alpinestars racing suit. I'd NEVER get a 1-pc unles it was for track only, and even then I still probably wouldn't. I can wear the leathers and not sweat too bad.....unless I'm stuck in traffic. Once you're moving, it's ok, especially up in the mtn's. Depending on what you wear underneath, the leathers can be used from almost the hottest days, to the coldest days. My suit is somewhat vented, and I can wear it in an amazingly wide variety of temps.

Best of luck!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Thanks for the input, guys! I've finalized my decision. Leathers all round it is! This is the jacket I'm looking at and will upgrade to the CE back protector.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...leather-jacket

Now to decide on pants...

This jacket is awesome, it is a ridiculously good deal and is perforated leather from a legit website for a legit brand. But they don't have it in my size or I would be all over this. Hopefully someone on here scoops one of these up:

2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    This jacket is awesome, it is a ridiculously good deal and is perforated leather from a legit website for a legit brand. But they don't have it in my size or I would be all over this. Hopefully someone on here scoops one of these up:

Damn, that is a smoking deal. I'm a 48......might pick one of these up for 100 bucks!
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Dude Chaos you better! I'm a 40-42ish and that jacket has been on closeout for months I would love the blue one! But I can't rock a 46 that'll be too baggy. Looks like they only have Blue 46 and 48, and red 46 left. But for a Joe Rocket perforated leather for $99 and free shipping thats a deal!

Yeah, just saw that....not sure I want to be rocking a bright blue jacket!! damn..
    2006 R1 "Raven"

looks like I was mistaken, the red is also in a 48. Depending on your bike you could get red or blue in 48

It's black, with red accents. I'm not a big flashy colors kind of guy. If they still had the black or gunmetal one, I'd be all over it.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

For all but the most extreme speeds that you will see on the street you would be fine with either textile or leather. Most accidents would happen below 60mph and both will do their job there. Crashing on the highway leather would protect you better but when it comes to blunt force trauma you would be served equally by both. When it comes to brands I think there is a huge difference in quality between the lower tier and the upper tier stuff. Having worn a variety of jackets and tried lots on I have found that typically the Joe Rocket, ICON and AGV Sport along with the like will protect you just fine but do fit nearly as well or have the same quality as the higher end stuff. They use thicker cheaper leather and as such weigh more and are bulkier for equal protection. Cortech and Technic tend to sit slightly higher then them. Alpinestars strikes a nice middle ground. Spidi, and Rev'It would be upper end along with Dainese. And for me the ultimate is RS Taichi.

Sub $200:

Sub $300:
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/j...leather-jacket

Sub $400:
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=13994

Sub $500 (and fucking awesome):
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=11496

Over $500:
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=11494
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=14677
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=27500
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=13111

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Fay Myer had some nice jackets for sale on closeout for a lot less, I'd stop by there. they had some nice Dainese and a-stars jackets. I don't need one and they were too small for me, but you might find something you like and that fits.

Me, I'm not too keen on Icon stuff. I'll take the established brands like those I mentioned, and Belstaff, over Icon, any day.

Best of luck.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I have both leather and textile, and never wear the leather. The textile is lighter, more adaptable. The leather looks better, but that's it. Could be warmer than the textile in the cold. Just my 2...

I wear a leather jacket 100% of the time. Sure it sucks at times when stuck in traffic but who cares. If its balls hot outside I drench my tshirt in water and within 50-60mi it's all gone. Air conditioning. Learned that from my dad. Same thing with my helmet, hold it under a sink till everything is soaked and put it back on.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!