Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Textile vs. Leather?

Re: Textile vs. Leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddibe View Post
    I have both leather and textile, and never wear the leather. The textile is lighter, more adaptable. The leather looks better, but that's it. Could be warmer than the textile in the cold. Just my 2...
    Leather is slower to get cold, but stays colder longer, also stays wetter longer when you get soaked.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

K know that we're on to leather, I hear people hating on Icon for some reason. Seems like a solid line of gear they make but I could be wrong. Anyone have experience/knowledge of AGV Sport? Their stuff is less expensive but I'd rather not compromise quality.

leather.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I believe ICON has different levels of their gear... their higher end $$ items are supposed to hold up well as opposed to their less expensive line of gear. I haven't tried their gear, so I cannot compare.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnzy View Post
    K know that we're on to leather, I hear people hating on Icon for some reason. Seems like a solid line of gear they make but I could be wrong. Anyone have experience/knowledge of AGV Sport? Their stuff is less expensive but I'd rather not compromise quality.
    I hate the word "hating" or "hater". They're not even words. So, having an educated opinion is "hating"?

Ok, from what I've seen over 30+ years of riding in all conditions, gear from the established players is better in MOST cases. The a-stars, Dainese, AGV, aerostitch, etc. I think Icon plays more to the "urban crowd", stunters, etc., not the real riders or racers. I've had Belstaff and a-stars, and even Kushitani gear over the years, and loved it. I have some Joe Rocket stuff now (mesh), and it's definately more cheaply made.

Your choice.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

AGV is the better gear, the AGV sport stuff is a step down from the straight AGV though, AGV helmets are some of the best you can buy. ICON stuff is just generally not that good, yes I know that if you spend $400 they are pretty good but a $450 ICON jacket is still not nearly as good as a $450 Alpinestars or Rev'It jacket, not even close. Same goes for Joe Rocket.

They use cheap stiff leather, they are not cut nearly as well usually, have less innovative features, etc. If you ever get a chance to really look at them side by side with an A-Stars or the higher end brands even a layman would be able to pick out the better jacket. For my money, I would get that AGV Sport I linked or something else on sale for less than $225 or bump up to $399 and go with that Alpinestars or above.

That in between range is better served by textile in my opinion. A $275 Alpinestars textile is a better jacket than your run of the mill leather ICON jacket for the same price.

Throw all of this out the window if you like the helmet mohawks and stunting, then ICON and Speed and Strength are right in your wheel house.
    Last edited by Colorado S14; Thu May 2nd, 2013 at 03:42 PM.

I crashed with a Joe Rocket jacket on, the leather is thick, it didnt even look like it had any damage, held up nicely! Also had speed and thrength gloves on and they didnt take a licking.

I really like all the Joe Rocket stuff that I own (3 jackets and 1 helmet) as well as all my Speed and Strength gear (3 gloves and 1 jacket). Even if it may be hooligan or squidish to rock those brands
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

It's easy to tell good from bad. Compare the quality of the stitching and seams (double stitched, folded over seams, thicker thread), the kind of armor and zippers used (larger industrial zippers or metal zippers, hard CE armor vs foam), and the thickness of the leather (1.4-1.5mm+ cowhide or kangaroo leather vs thinner 1.2-1.4mm cowhide).
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I hate the word "hating" or "hater". They're not even words. So, having an educated opinion is "hating"?
    Regardless of their presence in a legitimate dictionary, you get the meaning. Having an educated opinion is great. I was merely pointing out that I've not heard good things. Here, let me rephrase for you:

In my recent discourse with other, like-minded riders, my inquiries have returned with consistently negative remarks regarding Icon's equipment. Rather than relying solely on speculative conjecture, I would ask for the practical and real world experience of those who have purchased and/or frequently used said equipment in an attempt to bring into juxtaposition other, similar equipment for the purposes of comparison and ultimately, effective and appropriate decision making.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Regardless of their presence in a legitimate dictionary, you get the meaning. Having an educated opinion is great. I was merely pointing out that I've not heard good things. Here, let me rephrase for you:

In my recent discourse with other, like-minded riders, my inquiries have returned with consistently negative remarks regarding Icon's equipment. Rather than relying solely on speculative conjecture, I would ask for the practical and real world experience of those who have purchased and/or frequently used said equipment in an attempt to bring into juxtaposition other, similar equipment for the purposes of comparison and ultimately, effective and appropriate decision making.
    Excellent! Much better.

Yeah, homie, I be all, like, hatin' on the Icon stuff and shit, YO!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

By the way I'm taking donations because this stuff is friggin' SPENDY!

Don't know if you'd consider Cortech or not, but I love this jacket. They haven't made it in a couple years and it may be a bit flashy, but it's inexpensive and well made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251262920411?redirect=mobile
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

By the way I'm taking donations because this stuff is friggin' SPENDY!
    Perhaps. But a $400 Alpinestars or Vanson leathers will last you many years given proper care and feeding. That's one advantage of leather, it develops a patina and softness that outlasts textile. I have textiles (worse, mesh) that look faded and tattered after two seasons and leathers that still look new.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Perhaps. But a $400 Alpinestars or Vanson leathers will last you many years given proper care and feeding. That's one advantage of leather, it develops a patina and softness that outlasts textile. I have textiles (worse, mesh) that look faded and tattered after two seasons and leathers that still look new.
    With that being said, there is no reason you cant go used if you find something you like. My buddy got an amazing Alpinestars leather jacket in perfect shape slightly used off of Craigslist for $125 locally.