Thread: Weight loss & buying gear

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Weight loss & buying gear

So I'm about 5'10" and about 225 which puts me roughly 40 lbs overweight. Six weeks ago, I was about 50 lbs overweight. At this rate of weight loss, I won't be at my target weight until around September which, for me, is only 6-8 weeks before I typically put my bike up for the winter. So my dilemma is whether to buy a leather suit now knowing that it won't fit next year, or hold off. Part of what makes this a tough decision is that right now, most sizing charts suggest that I am going to have a hell of a time finding a suit that will fit reasonably well because most of my extra weight is around my waist. So if I go by my chest size (48 in) then the shoulders will likely be too loose and the inseam will be 3-4 inches too long. I can't be the only moderately tubby rider here who has made this decision, so I was hoping for some input on the matter before I just give up on all hope of getting any track days in this year. For reference, my budget is ~$1,000 for a one-piece suit and I have no particular preference on manufacturers. Any suggestions?

Re: Weight loss & buying gear

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
    ... . For reference, my budget is ~$1,000 for a one-piece suit and I have no particular preference on manufacturers. Any suggestions?
    At that price point, you could almost go for a full custom made to measure suit.
    http://www.spartanleathers.com/motorcycle-leathers
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Why not buy a 2 piece until you hit a weight loss plateau?
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

I would hold off. Sometimes weight loss comes faster at begging then can taper off and you hit a plateau (then people get personal trainers to help figure out that science). It doesn't always happen, but I have seen it with people since everyone is different; you shock your body and it responds and then it finds new way to store fat. Not to mention losing the weight is only the first step and keeping it off is the next. Just my .2 cents as fitness is my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Why not buy a 2 piece until you hit a weight loss plateau?
    Better option IMO since you said most weight is centered around waist; better to buy new pants than an entire new suit
    Last edited by bulldog; Fri May 3rd, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I would hold off. Sometimes weight loss comes faster at begging then can taper off and you hit a plateau (then people get personal trainers to help figure out that science). It doesn't always happen, but I have seen it with people since everyone is different; you shock your body and it responds and then it finds new way to store fat. Not to mention losing the weight is only the first step and keeping it off is the next. Just my .2 cents as fitness is my life!
    This is the 3rd time I have lost significant weight. I'm familiar with how my body responds and as long as I maintain proper habits (which I typically have no trouble with) I lose pretty consistently. Either way, the 2 piece is something I can look into. Although Im pretty sure that, no matter what, I am going to have to replace both items in the end because my chest size at my goal weight is between 40 and 42 so I will end up with a very loose fitting jacket too. I am looking into the products at Spartan as recommended by asp_125, maybe they will have the answer.

This is the 3rd time I have lost significant weight. I'm familiar with how my body responds and as long as I maintain proper habits (which I typically have no trouble with) I lose pretty consistently. Either way, the 2 piece is something I can look into. Although Im pretty sure that, no matter what, I am going to have to replace both items in the end because my chest size at my goal weight is between 40 and 42 so I will end up with a very loose fitting jacket too. I am looking into the products at Spartan as recommended by asp_125, maybe they will have the answer.
    Hmmm..3rd time, but this time is different..ok...

just trying to help save you some money by going with a 2 piece just in case. Plus improper leathers can be dangerous and defeat the point of leathers. They need to be skin tight!
    Last edited by bulldog; Fri May 3rd, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

TBH it will probably be a LOT easier to piece out (or whole) a 2 piece once you want to get rid of it as opposed to a custom tailored 1 piece.

I have crashed in my 2 piece on the track a few times and it held up pretty well.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Even if you choose a custom Spartan, the 2pc would be easier to sell or simply have them make you an different sized jacket later.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Even if you choose a custom Spartan, the 2pc would be easier to sell or simply have them make you an different sized jacket later.
    Good point; I am sure it is easier to alter a 2 piece than a 1 piece.

Same as Zack I have crashed at the track with a two piece and been fine; hell mine didn't even zip in middle.

Hold off, even when not losing weight it's hard to find things that fit you exactly right. If you're fluctuating (either direction), it's only gonna piss you off down the road, after spend $1k or whatever on some nice gear. Get used or cheapie gear for now.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Hold off, even when not losing weight it's hard to find things that fit you exactly right. If you're fluctuating (either direction), it's only gonna piss you off down the road, after spend $1k or whatever on some nice gear. Get used or cheapie gear for now.
    Plus what better reward for yourself for losing that weight than a nice new leather suit; plus then it will be so nice it will motivate you to stay at that weight!

Hmmm..3rd time, but this time is different..ok...
    I don't recall saying this time was different...? I was saying that it should be the same as in the past, I've never really hit a plateau, I've always lost weight consistently throughout the process.

For a 2-piece, are the standard sizes still going to be as problematic as standard one-piece sizing? For example, at Alpinestars, my size based on each of my measurements would be as follows:

Chest - 3XL (62)
    Waist - 3XL (62)
    Hip - 2XL (60)
    Thigh - Med (40)
    Inseam - SM (38 )
    Arm - XL (46)
    Height - Med (40)

Its so all-over-the-board, I have no real idea of which size would be appropriate. At this point Im leaning towards a cheaper standard size 2-piece that I could maybe have altered once later in the season and then replace next year.

I don't recall saying this time was different...? I was saying that it should be the same as in the past, I've never really hit a plateau, I've always lost weight consistently throughout the process.
    Thought we were talking about if it was worth you getting a new leather suit, so was commenting that your past has seem to show you gain it back and maybe to wait on the suit.

I really do commend you though if you are able to drop 10lbs in six week for that long a period consistently. That is about 1.6 pound a week, which is above normal as most people average 1 pound per week. I don’t know what methods you are doing to accomplish this, but if you are exercising (which you should) then weight is a horrible way to measure a goal because you generally will lose fat and replace it with muscle which weighs more. Everyone I have helped lose weight I tell to not even step on a scale and measure it by how your clothes fit. I just hope you are not losing weight by the Atkins way (no carbs) as it does drop tons of fat, but 95% of the people gain it back once carbs are put back into body since we cannot live without carbs. If doing it the healthy way; diet and exercise, you should expect to gain muscle weight.

Thought we were talking about if it was worth you getting a new leather suit, so was commenting that your past has seem to show you gain it back and maybe to wait on the suit.

I really do commend you though if you are able to drop 10lbs in six week for that long a period consistently. That is about 1.6 pound a week, which is above normal as most people average 1 pound per week. I don’t know what methods you are doing to accomplish this, but if you are exercising (which you should) then weight is a horrible way to measure a goal because you generally will lose fat and replace it with muscle which weighs more. Everyone I have helped lose weight I tell to not even step on a scale and measure it by how your clothes fit. I just hope you are not losing weight by the Atkins way (no carbs) as it does drop tons of fat, but 95% of the people gain it back once carbs are put back into body since we cannot live without carbs. If doing it the healthy way; diet and exercise, you should expect to gain muscle weight.
    No Atkins, no fad diets, they're all unnecessary. I don't technically exercise outside of walking alot for work and drumming in my free time. I just stop eating crap foods and stop overeating. Both times in the past I regained the weight because something bad happened (lost my job first time, then my GF cheated the second time) and my fucks-given meter dropped to zero for awhile and I got depressed and went straight back to bad habits without caring. I just don't bullshit myself, I know that I can't expect to lose weight without a real lifestyle change, so I commit to it fully (once Im in the proper state of mind) and the results come on their own. For me, the proper state of mind just didn't come until earlier this year lol.

And I don't really know how much I've lost, I don't own a scale. I just know that I dropped a notch in my belt and, factoring in initial watershed from cutting down on salt and sugar and drinking more water, I estimate I've probably lost around 8-10 lbs so far. I'll probably start hitting the gym around 3 times a week when I start to feel the slowdown.

No Atkins, no fad diets, they're all unnecessary. I don't technically exercise outside of walking alot for work and drumming in my free time. I just stop eating crap foods and stop overeating. Both times in the past I regained the weight because something bad happened (lost my job first time, then my GF cheated the second time) and my fucks-given meter dropped to zero for awhile and I got depressed and went straight back to bad habits without caring. I just don't bullshit myself, I know that I can't expect to lose weight without a real lifestyle change, so I commit to it fully (once Im in the proper state of mind) and the results come on their own. For me, the proper state of mind just didn't come until earlier this year lol.

And I don't really know how much I've lost, I don't own a scale. I just know that I dropped a notch in my belt and, factoring in initial watershed from cutting down on salt and sugar and drinking more water, I estimate I've probably lost around 8-10 lbs so far. I'll probably start hitting the gym around 3 times a week when I start to feel the slowdown.
    Hell yeah man, great job then

Hit me up if you ever need help

Bulldog is apeshit fuckjacked
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd