Thread: New helmet coming - Shoei RF-1100

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

New helmet coming - Shoei RF-1100

So, apparently my helmet was made 11/25/04, right after moses came down with the stone tablets. I called Shoei, told 'em that, and told them it'd never been in a crash, not even dropped, and that everything inside looked to be in great shape. The guy was really cool and knowledgeable, but said that though they'd be happy to look at it for me for free, that simply because of the ancient datecode that it'd fail their testing criteria. So, looks like I'm gonna need to spend about $400 on a new lid. This is especially important in light of what just happened to my good friend.

He said that the RF-1100 isn't an exact replacement as far as fit, but it should be really close, and the same size should work. A guy here at work bought one and loved it....except he bought one size too small. I'd have bought his off him for a good price but it was too small. I've also heard nothing but good reviews, as I'd expect from a Shoei, a band I've used exclusively for the street for almost 30 years.

I'm looking at a plain white one, for cooler summertime running, and, more importantly, to keep up my "The Stig" personna!

Anyone got an RF-1100? Likes/dislikes?

Thx!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Re: New helmet coming - Shoei RF-1100

Dunno how old this is and what size you need, but http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3785015239.html
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I had a matte black one for about a year and really liked it. They fog up easy, so I just put some anti-fog stuff on it to minimize the issue.

I was wearing it during my first motorcycle crash at HPR. It was very low speed, but I did bounce my forehead off the ground about 4 times while sliding. I was totally fine without damage or ANY head pain, so that counts for something in my book.

I just picked one up on Saturday. So far I really like it. A lot quieter than my old crappy icon as to be expected. Yes they do tend to fog up quickly which I was annoyed with seeing as my old visor was antifog and I guess I took it for granted. I've noticed the aerodymanics are stellar at highway speeds. Very comfortable.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Go see my gf, Faith, at Performance. She'll set you up with one.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=306103

.......but really.... sign up for those boards and contact TJ in the riders discount section....not sure if signing up gives you a discount from the actual site but they've always have gotten me the best prices on my AGV helmets and everything else i need after those special bonding moments i have with the pavement at the track
    When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left that I could say, "I used everything that you gave me."

RIDES:
    2011 GSXR 750(track)

2007 GSXR 600(street)stolen

2005 GSXR 600(track)

2005 Honda 600rr(track)

Quote Originally Posted by ticktock4792 View Post
    http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=306103

.......but really.... sign up for those boards and contact TJ in the riders discount section....not sure if signing up gives you a discount from the actual site but they've always have gotten me the best prices on my AGV helmets and everything else i need after those special bonding moments i have with the pavement at the track
    Thanks. I looked at the X-Twelve, and they're too much $$ for me. I think the RF-1100 is a lot cheaper. They have them at performance cycle for $396.95.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Go see my gf, Faith, at Performance. She'll set you up with one.
    ....at the "Wicky" discount?

I've actually been dealing with Paul for the last few years, so, while thanks for the tip, gotta support m' man who's hooked me up on the parts before.

I'll make sure to tell her hi for ya (and tell her what a douchebag you REALLY are....)

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Dunno how old this is and what size you need, but http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3785015239.html
    Crap! Need a "L". Ah well, thanks for the info Jefe!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    ....at the "Wicky" discount?

I've actually been dealing with Paul for the last few years, so, while thanks for the tip, gotta support m' man who's hooked me up on the parts before.

I'll make sure to tell her hi for ya (and tell her what a douchebag you REALLY are....)
    Oh she knows.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Putting my new Bell Star Carbon RSD up for sale. $450 for members....just throwing it out there.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

I have an RF-1100 Chroma, love it. Great helmet. The white has a beautiful pearl and there is red metallic in the black. You will not be dissapointed.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado S14 View Post
    I have an RF-1100 Chroma, love it. Great helmet. The white has a beautiful pearl and there is red metallic in the black. You will not be dissapointed.
    I have the same in blue. Such a wonderful helmet.

Sounds good, glad y'all like 'em. I'm going after work tonight if they have my size in stock. I had no idea my RF-1000 was that old. Time flies!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado S14 View Post
    Yeah, but they stuck the labels on backwards.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Yeah, but they stuck the labels on backwards.
    Hah! Yeah, I noticed that too. Funny (but not surprising) that the marketing people couldn't figure that out.......

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I just picked up a Shoei RF-110 in white, from Performance Cycle, for $374.95. If you like 'em, go see Paul and tell him I sent ya.

They had a scheme, either the Chroma above, or something like it, for about another $30 cheaper, but it was just a little too large, dammit!

I replaced mine after my friend's accident, and after finding out my old RF-1000 was made 11/25/2004! I guess I've had it so long, and it's been such a trusty, trouble-free companion, I'd never given a thought to how old it was. I mean, everything works great, nothing's coming apart, and there's not a scratch on it. Oops!
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Fri May 10th, 2013 at 05:51 PM.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Well, put on about 175 miles with the new helmet. Love it. it does seem a good bit quieter than the old RF-1000 I had. The cheek pads are a little too tight still, and the helmet needs to break in a little more in general (but I had no headache from wearing it), but it seems to work like a charm. I highly recommend one. It's not EXACTLY the same fit in the same size as the RF-1000, but it's really close and I was able to keep the same size.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian