Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need helmets suggestions

Need helmets suggestions

The time has come. I'm not comfortable using my old helmet(Scorpion EXO700) anymore and it's so packed in anyway, it's just not safe. So...

I have a meathead, fat cheeks, and foggy breath.

Features I would like are some kind of crack-the-visor-open-but-locked thing like the Shoei 1100, but with better cheekpad options like Arai, vents that are easy to open and close at my whim, a chin vent that stays open(I'm talking to you Scorpion), no-fog visor, EMT-removable neck pads, color options other than shades of black...

Ummm...

Need it yesterday!

Shoei 1100 fit is not great, Arai Vector seemed like a good fit the last time I tried them on but it's been a season or two....

Oh, price. Price is a limiting factor right now...

Who has what in the metro that might fit a roundhead like me?
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Re: Need helmets suggestions

Shoei Quest is shaped for a rounder head, IIRC. I think ICON 'cause they were always too wide for me.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Perhaps a Suomy? Diff size cheek pads are available and their visors do not fog

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Perhaps a Suomy? Diff size cheek pads are available and their visors do not fog
    +1 for Suomy.

Have you looked at the helmet shape review at webbikeworld? http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm

Go down to Performance or Fays and try on a bunch to see what fits, then compare it with the ones on the list. ^
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

All the reasons I upgraded to the Bell Star from my X11.

Flows tons of air.

The crack latch actually works and is incredibly easy to use.

The pads are plush as can be.

And yes I have a medium one for sale. I picked up a different design so I need to sell it. Check it out on the for sale section.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

I run a Bell Star Carbon, fantastic lid and the best shields money can buy. But mine runs fairly narrow in the cheek area, moreso than my last helmet (Shoei RF900).

I picked up a Bell Star for $300 online.
    1998 Kawasaki ZX6R
    1973 Honda CL350 Cafe
    sold- 1978 Honda CB750 SuperSport
    sold- 2004 BMW R115R

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I just picked up a Shoei RF-110 in white, from Performance Cycle, for $374.95. If you like 'em, go see Paul and tell him I sent ya.

I replaced mine after my friend's accident, and after finding out my old RF-1000 was made 11/25/2004! I guess I've had it so long, and it's been such a trusty, trouble-free companion, I'd never given a thought to how old it was. Oops!

Best of luck!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Bell star is a nice helmet, but the latest one doesn't fit me. I really like the AGV GP-Tech I have now.

Dropped by Colorado Powersports on the way home. Tried everything they had. Seems like the Shoei Quest size L fits pretty good. I didn't give any helmet the full 1/2 hour though because there wasn't time. Going to check out some other helmets tomorrow. Hopefully, by the end of the day, I'll have a lid again.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Still looking.

Arai helmets have a weird fit. They're too loose or too tight. Shoei RF-1100 also a weird fit. Qwest still the frontrunner. Gotta try a few more; Bell included.

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    Bell star is a nice helmet, but the latest one doesn't fit me. I really like the AGV GP-Tech I have now.
    AGV GP-Tech is a great helmet. I own two Rossi replicas and I love them, but he said cost is a factor.

Try the Sharks too. I love my Suomy, but their fit seems to be off. I owned two Spec-1R, but on one i couldn't squeeze a large over my head. The next one,the large was a little loose. Try them all on and see which one works best for you. I own Shoeis, Arais, AGVs, Sharks, you name it. They all got my head well enough.

People like to give ICON a hard time. I currently have a Shoei RF1000 and the ICON Variant. However, one of my older lids was the ICON Alliance i believe, and it was super comfy. That and i took a pretty gnarly crash to the head with it on and obviously im still around and the helmet held up flawlessly.

Honestly, most upper-end lids are pretty close nowadays. Just find one that fits your head best and then go with the options, ie. more airflow, weight, etc...
    Last edited by Matty; Thu May 16th, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    AGV GP-Tech is a great helmet. I own two Rossi replicas and I love them, but he said cost is a factor.

Try the Sharks too. I love my Suomy, but their fit seems to be off. I owned two Spec-1R, but on one i couldn't squeeze a large over my head. The next one,the large was a little loose. Try them all on and see which one works best for you. I own Shoeis, Arais, AGVs, Sharks, you name it. They all got my head well enough.
    I loved the look of my Suomy Spec-1R, but the fit was not right for me. I have a longer shaped head (see: cone head) and it would press on my forehead and give me a headache, even in an XL w/ XXL padding. My Shark RSI fits me perfectly. Faith keeps trying to get me into an Arai, but my Shark is like a cloud on my head.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    .. I love my Suomy, but their fit seems to be off....
    Suomys do fit kind of different, on both of mine I had to get different cheek pads to get the correct fit.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Suomys do fit kind of different, on both of mine I had to get different cheek pads to get the correct fit.
    Same here and it's been by far my favorite helmet!

Altho, I was at Performance and they suggested I try on the new Arai rx-q and it fit my round melon just perfect.. I'm just having a hard time with the new price of it

So, got my melon covered again.

Tried...
    All Arai models from Corsair down to Vector in both XL and L: No chance they are made for me at all. XL felt great but gap on forehead was there. L, even without cheekpads, would not fit my crown.
    Bell Star and RS-1: Both sizes too narrow.
    HJC: Nothing at their higher end stocked anywhere.
    Scorpion: Felt heavy and wanted to try a new brand if possible(retiring the EXO700 I used for last 5 years).
    Shoei: RF-1100 and Qwest in size L fit like a dream every time. Went with Qwest(Storm Trooper graphics) because the FZ-1 is upright and venting will be fine that way... and like that it's less expensive and 5 dB less sound pressure than the RF-1100.

Shops...
    Colorado Powersports, Sun Honda, Fay Myers(free food and Jason Britton day), Grand Prix, Performance Cycle. Gave Performance my money.

FYI, Performance told me Suomy is out of Business, I could not find Shark, forgot to try AGV, and Icon is not on my list to try.

Next time I'll plan better...
    Last edited by CaptGoodvibes; Sun May 19th, 2013 at 11:04 PM.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    So, got my melon covered again.

Tried...
    All Arai models from Corsair down to Vector in both XL and L: No chance they are made for me at all. XL felt great but gap on forehead was there. L, even without cheekpads, would not fit my crown.
    Bell Star and RS-1: Both sizes too narrow.
    HJC: Nothing at their higher end stocked anywhere.
    Scorpion: Felt heavy and wanted to try a new brand if possible(retiring the EXO700 I used for last 5 years).
    Shoei: RF-1100 and Qwest in size L fit like a dream every time. Went with Qwest(Storm Trooper graphics) because the FZ-1 is upright and venting will be fine that way... and like that it's less expensive and 5 dB less sound pressure than the RF-1100.

Shops...
    Colorado Powersports, Sun Honda, Fay Myers(free food and Jason Britton day), Grand Prix, Performance Cycle. Gave Performance my money.

FYI, Performance told me Suomy is out of Business, I could not find Shark, forgot to try AGV, and Icon is not on my list to try.

Next time I'll plan better...
    Can't go wrong with a Shoei!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    FYI, Performance told me Suomy is out of Business, ...
    So sad, they fit me like fluffy pillows.

But, maybe that's just their distributor, because it's happened before http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=23932
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

I just called SUOMY.. and they are DEFINITELY STILL IN BUSINESS.... Performance just doesn't carry them. IIRC - 303 Cycles and Grand Prix can order them for you..

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I just called SUOMY.. and they are DEFINITELY STILL IN BUSINESS.... Performance just doesn't carry them. IIRC - 303 Cycles and Grand Prix can order them for you..
    Good news! I'll be needing a helmet with flowers and a deck of cards. Seriously, I do want to try them.

Always wanted to try a shark. Anyone in town stock them?

Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    Always wanted to try a shark. Anyone in town stock them?
    Bump - Also interested, been eyeing the speed-r helmet