Thread: Dual Sport (ADV) glove?

Dual Sport (ADV) glove?

My Google-fu is weak. Is there such a beast as a practical adventure touring glove? I have street oriented road race gloves, and some all leather street shorty gloves like this ->

But they are all leather and get hot on the trails, not to mention slippery when wet / muddy. Then I see MX style textile gloves which are great for the MX track, but don't offer much protection on the pavement. Might as well get padded work gloves from Home Depot. I also have a pair of mesh Alpinestars shorty gloves that I've been using.

Is the only solution to bring two pairs? One for the road part and switch when I hit dirt?
    Last edited by asp_125; Wed May 29th, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Re: Dual Sport (ADV) glove?

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Is the only solution to bring two pairs? One for the road part and switch when I hit dirt?
    That is usually what I do, but I am pretty new to dual sport riding. I usually use Alpinstar GP Techs or GPXs on the street and then switch to a pair of Oakley Assault gloves that I still have hanging around from my time in the army once I get to the trail. They are very comfortable, have some decent protection, and have turned out to be damn good woods gloves. ~$40, but you have to have a Military/govt ID to buy them from Oakley.

https://www.oakleysi.com/Product_Detail.cfm?id=66

Jeffe- my philosophy was always two pairs of gloves. But it wasn't for street and dirt, it was for rain and dry. Rain doubled as warmer gloves too. Since I was doing multi-day trip, you never knew what you were going to get, especially at higher altitudes.

Rain- I used Joe Rocket ballistic gloves. I didn't love them, but they were okay. Not much protection. The nice thing about a rain glove, is that if it gets chilly, just turn on heated grips and the gloves block the wind.

Dry- If I knew I was going to be doing just street, I'd take the leather gauntlet gloves. Otherwise I'd use these LINK. They were pretty good IMO.

Also check out Klim (pronounced climb) and KTM actually makes some really nice DS gloves. Although they are orange and pricey.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatRR View Post
    That is usually what I do, but I am pretty new to dual sport riding. I usually use Alpinstar GP Techs or GPXs on the street and then switch to a pair of Oakley Assault gloves that I still have hanging around from my time in the army once I get to the trail. They are very comfortable, have some decent protection, and have turned out to be damn good woods gloves. ~$40, but you have to have a Military/govt ID to buy them from Oakley.

https://www.oakleysi.com/Product_Detail.cfm?id=66
    Actually the eligibility is somewhat expanded: "The program is for US active duty military, reserve, federal and local law enforcement, fire, EMS and those holding military retiree credentials."

Which is nice for me being EMS, as those gloves look great. I think I may try a pair out.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I use some Alpinestars SMX-2 gloves. I also have some pretty good heated grips though. I used some warm waterproof Alpinestars (I think I still have them) but really hated them, too thick and uncomfortable.

My buddy has some Klim gloves that he really raves about. Not sure what the name of them is.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

I use FOX Thermal paws for cooler weather and Klim gloves for warmer weather. There is a ton of stuff out there depending on what you need and want to spend.

Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/