Thread: New to track days, any suggestions on instruction?

New to track days, any suggestions on instruction?

Hi everyone. I'll be here in Colorado for a couple of years and would like to do some track days. I've never done a track day on a motorcycle, so could anyone recommend any classes I can attend before I hit the track? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Re: New to track days, any suggestions on instruction?

I don't know how much coaching Rybo is looking to do, but he is VERY knowledgable when it comes to the track. He has a good price and helped me out a TON

Nick Ienatsch is running a program at Pueblo as well.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    I don't know how much coaching Rybo is looking to do, but he is VERY knowledgable when it comes to the track. He has a good price and helped me out a TON
    Does he teach a class or is it on-on-one?

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Nick Ienatsch is running a program at Pueblo as well.
    What's the best way to get in contact with these guys? Thanks for the help!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Thanks Joe!

I work 1-1 with riders at open lapping days. I'm primarily focused on the open lapping days preceding the MRA rounds, but can arrange to meet you at open lapping events most weeks.

My program is really simple. I meet you at the track on the day we agree to. I provide for my own fees / fuel / tires etc and you provide yours. My fee is $75 an hour and I recommend that you spend at least 2 hours working with me. If the track is running sessions that day it's really difficult to get much done in one hour, but two is really useful. I also recommend about a maximum of 4 since at some point we reach saturation and can't really learn any more.

If this is an intro class I'll spend some time before we go riding discussing track rules / etiquette / good form vs. bad form. Then we will go and do some riding . I use a camera to film our sessions and will provide you with the video when we're done.

If you're interested PM me here and we'll get something worked out!

Scott

p.s. I don't know who this "Nick" guy thinks he is, coming to Colorado and playing on my turf. (Aside from one of the best instructors in the country. If you can get some time with him I highly recommend it)

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    p.s. I don't know who this "Nick" guy thinks he is, coming to Colorado and playing on my turf. (Aside from one of the best instructors in the country. If you can get some time with him I highly recommend it)
    Nick can be reached through Vanmar Racing. vanmarracing@mindspring.com
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I did the 1 on 1 with Rybo. It wasn't my first time out there. We started with a quick convo on what we were looking to work on then a few laps. After that we looked a film and he had advice for me all over the track, race advice and regular track advice. We also worked on race starts (which by the way improved a ton that weekend).

It was great to have constant 1 on 1 time and to hear a little bit of a scientific point of view as well. Very good stuff for sure

PM sent. Good to hear. 1 on 1 instruction is very good and sounds like it would benefit me greatly. I've done a couple track days but it was on 4 wheels. I don't know how motorcycle track day sessions differ from cars. I just don't want to be that guy riding around like an ass and having multiple middle fingers pointed at me because I lack the etiquette or worse yet caused an accident.
    Last edited by Klaiceps; Fri Jun 14th, 2013 at 08:55 AM.