Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can anyone explain why......

can anyone explain why......

OK, so I'm still new at this. I'm pushing myself and the bike a little more every time I ride. Anyway, while braking into a turn from another turn it feels as if the new direction I'm going in gets very heavy (Or wants to pull in to the new direction) in the steering. I'm not trail breaking very much at all. This is just the transition between left to right or right to left.
    I thought it may be the brakes but it is pretty constant when I'm going through "S" type turns.
    So with some positive type feedback..... What am I doing wrong or right? Could I actually be fighting the bike?
    Sorry it's the best way I can explain it.
    Thanks

Re: can anyone explain why......

Don't brake. Enter the chicane at the speed you want to go through. Try to start concentrating on maintaining a speed entering corners that doesn't require much in the way of braking. Setting up for a corner properly will make your cornering much easier than trying to correct mid corner. Corner speed is where the fun's at.
    There is a good trick to shifting back and forth, it is the "knee to knee" weight transfer. I'll show you when we ride again.

Oh and your geometry on the bike might be off if it is fighting you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Don't brake.
    What he said!

Getting your suspension dialed in also helps out a lot!! But ya listen to Bueller.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Not knowing the roads makes it a tad difficult to know how fast to enter in the first turn to enter into the second. Going from a 50mph turn to what looks to me as a 30 mph in a distance that seems short to me I pull some brake. I'm not yanking on it a ton just scrubbing some speed off. I'm not super confident in my downshifting skills to drop a gear without trying to skid the rear.

I'm trying!!!!!

Anytime you're ready Bueller. I'm game.

If it's the geometry then well..... I'll have to talk to Irdave.
    I've scrubbed off the tires to 1/4"or so to the edge without scaring the shit out of myself. It just seems like the bike wants to turn deeper into the corner.

Also, hitting the brakes in a corner raises your bike up.... which is bad!

Downshifting once is not going to skid your tires, especially with a little rev matching. You can't memorize all the roads so you need to judge from what you can see. Slow in, fast out.

I'm starting to think that I'm finding some of my bad habits that I've developed at slower speeds.
    Damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Also, hitting the brakes in a corner raises your bike up.... which is bad!
    Actually hitting the brakes drops the front if you're using the front brake only. If you get on the gas it will raise the bike. Which is the reason you want to be braking into the corner to help the bike the bike turn and on the gas as soon as possible
    If You Can't Ride It or Take it to Bed. It Ain't Worth Having!

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    "knee to knee" weight transfer.
    Bueller showed me this one at the track one day. My wrists wanted to say "thank you". It also keeps me planted very firm on the bike while leaving my hands free to steer and flick off photographers

+1 to what's been said. but especially to "knee to knee" or weighting the pegs in the left to right transitions. If it's not a suspension issue you may be putting too much weight on your hands - resulting in you fighting the bars instead of riding the bike.

How fresh are your tires? I just replaced a set of tires because the old ones developed a wierd flat spot on the sides (previous owner) that made holding a line in the corner difficult. Made a world of difference now that I'm on fresh tires.
    Last edited by asp_125; Mon Jun 24th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by matt2778 View Post
    Actually hitting the brakes drops the front if you're using the front brake only. If you get on the gas it will raise the bike. Which is the reason you want to be braking into the corner to help the bike the bike turn and on the gas as soon as possible
    Mashing the rear brakes is what I was thinking of, but you are right about the front brakes and speed in a corner.

Are you countersteering.?

Quickest, easiest way to change direction is with the bars.
    Assuming you have good body position and aren't weighting the bars.

Without bar input, you can weight all the pegs and shift all the weight you want, it ain't gonna snap into a turn

Changing direction with the brake on also makes the front end feel heavier, as you are loading the tire more, plus slowing the gyroscope effect of the wheel.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
    Changing direction with the brake on also makes the front end feel heavier, as you are loading the tire more, plus slowing the gyroscope effect of the wheel.
    OP,
    Be extremely careful if you are turning the bike and using the brake at the same time. This is an advanced technique and a very good way to wreck

Yeah I did some experimenting today. I'm still not able to judge my speed and given corners that are somewhat blind. I believe that I'm stiffening up more in the right hand turns than left. But I seem to be entering left turns faster and then I'm trying to brake into the corner late which is bad, and causing what I'm feeling with the steering. I'm getting there. Moving my ass around a bit and it is definitely getting easier.

At a reduced speed (cruising), are you able to remove your left hand from the bars? ie wave? If you can't you are 1. using the bars to hang on, or 2. tensing up and not trusting the lean. If you are relaxed and have proper body position, you should have a light grip on both bars. Another trick is to be able to wiggle your fingers while cornering. Hard to do if you're tense.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

At a cruising speed I am able to pick my nose..... With either hand. As I get faster I tense up in right hand turns where I'm not confident enough to wave. I know/feel I'm not tucking my head down enough and relaxing. I'm going to find a parking lot and drive around a light pole for an hour or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    At a cruising speed I am able to pick my nose..... With either hand.
    If you are wearing gloves your nostrils must be HUGE!

Sometimes.... You have to dig for it.

Can anyone go a little further in depth on the "knee to knee" technique? Thanks!

PS - longtime lurker, first post!

When entering a left hand turn, plant your right thigh/knee into the gas tank. As you tip in, your leg will grip the bike. When you're in the lean, your left leg can be free to drag, while your right leg is holding you on the bike.

If you're in an "S" turn, you can transfer quickly from leg to leg as you flick left/right. To do this, you bring the bike back up with countersteer, put your other leg firmly on the tank as the bike approaches upright, then lean over to the other side and allow the inside leg to now come off and drag on the ground

you don't HAVE to drag knee for this either, it will still work if you are not all the way leaned over

Using your legs like this will free the weight from your hands, keeping you loose on the controls and conserving energy

This is all drastically easier with tank grips

Thanks!