Thread: Tire changing kit on the trail.

Tire changing kit on the trail.

I was at Fays over the lunch hour picking up some bolts, and looked at putting together a tire changing kit for the trail. Remember, dirt noob here.

What kind of tire irons (spoons) are easiest for a noob to use on the trail? There were simple ones that looked like bent pieces of steel bar, and other longer ones that were spoon shaped and had a screwdriver handle. I suppose the longer ones have better leverage but are bulky to carry on the trail. Also, should I get 2 or three of them? Are rim protectors really needed? Worse case, I bought a bunch of industrial zip ties so at least I can limp back to the trailhead.
    Last edited by asp_125; Wed Jul 3rd, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Re: Tire changing kit on the trail.

Yeah I was just looking at Rockymountainadv.com and wanted to pick up a nice tire changing trail kit. I just don't know what to get. I think I'm going to go with a bigger Mtn Bike setup that i'm used to.

3 irons - the simple ones that are flat and have a little bead lip
    Rim Protectors - cheap
    Patches/some sort of sewing string and material
    Bicycle Pump or Co2 cartridge

I want to be able to fit all of this into a little tube or fender bag
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

The ones we use in the shop are the long Motion Pro curved irons, but they are about 16 inches long and darn heavy. The most popular ones I sell for trail use are about 8.5 inches long and basically straight. Rim protectors are cheap and light. Carry a spare front tube, which can be used in the rear in a pinch, a decent tube patch kit, and a CO2 inflator with extra cartridges. You should also have a small plastic squirt bottle with some soapy water in it to lube the beads coming off and going back on, which makes the process infinitely easier. Practice at home, because it's no fun climbing the learning curve at dusk on the side of a trail 30 miles from pavement.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I suppose it's only slightly more complicated than changing a tube on my MTB. But yeah, probably some practice in the garage (with a beer) might help.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I would not remotely compare it to changing a MTB tire/tube. Motion Pro = FTW http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...ry/tire_wheel/
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Also the YouTube vids that Bueller posted a while back are excellent. Technique is everything!
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Can't find his post but watch some vids for technique tips.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    for trail use are about 8.5 inches long and basically straight. Rim protectors are cheap and light. Carry a spare front tube, which can be used in the rear in a pinch, a decent tube patch kit, and a CO2 inflator with extra cartridges. You should also have a small plastic squirt bottle with some soapy water in it to lube the beads coming off and going back on, which makes the process infinitely easier. Practice at home, because it's no fun climbing the learning curve at dusk on the side of a trail 30 miles from pavement.
    I had 3-8.5" irons. 2 is probably enough, but 3 is pretty handy. I was also wrestling a bigger tire then yours. I didn't carry rim protectors cause the rims were already marked up. It's up to you, not a bad idea though. I never carried soapy water but that's not a bad idea either. It really helps pop the seal back on. You could also ride it for a little bit if it doesn't seat and then try again.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Technique is everything!
    This.