Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chased by a Road-Raged Vigilante!

Chased by a Road-Raged Vigilante!

I would have never expected this to happen to me.

Trying to get down to the Berthoud Dirtbike Track on my F800GS from Fort Collins today around 330pm. I25 is a parking lot. I jump off I25 at the Harley shop to check my google maps and find the frontage road. I notice that if I exit at Loveland I can take some back roads to the track. So I get off at Loveland and get to the light that I have to take a left at. The stoplight had already went through two different sets and I noticed the guy in front of me in a Black Nissan Altima is just not paying attention to anything and is swerving in and out of his lane as we inch forward. The turn lane is a single lane with a car in the front, the Altima, and then me. When the light turns green the Altima cuts hard right, completely out of the turning lane, and is about to go off the road. I take action and notice that there is no on-coming traffic and pass both the two cars over double yellow lines. *I ride with the goal of not getting killed and will do whatever I deem necessary to avoid all situations that put me in any threat. As I look in my rear-view I notice the Altima is riding the guy in front of him hard. The Altima is going in and out of the oncoming lane as well. I put a little distance in-between me and the two trailing cars. At this point I don't know where I am but know I need to head south. I end up at a round-a-bout and take the exit that goes south, watching as the Altima continues west, still tailing the car in front of him. Half a mile down the road I pull off onto the shoulder to check my phone map and see where I am. There are no cars and only a house here and there. I see that I'm in the middle of nowhere and need to con......WHAT THE FUCK?? As I'm looking a my phone a guy walks up and knocks on my helmet!! I look up and see this guy yelling at me. I look forward and see a Black Nissan Altima parked 20 feet in front of me on the shoulder. I shove my phone in my pocket, put it in first, and take off. I had no idea what this guy was doing. But..in my rear-view mirror I see him run to his car and take pursuit after me!! I speed up to about 60 mph and am approaching a T. I decide to slow down and make the left. Now this guy goes flying around the corner wayyy too fast for his car. At this point I'm pretty freaked out and am in full blown survival mode. I gun it and see a right hand turn that I decide to take. This guy can't make the corner and locks up his brakes almost sliding off the road. I gun it again heading south and am looking for anywhere safe to go. I probably hit 110mph and he's still keeping up with me. But I'm in the middle of no where and don't know what to do. This continues on for a couple miles of turns. I finally make a left onto a road that is heading to I25. I pass a few cars on the double yellow to put space in-between us, and I can see I25 ahead. But, I didn't want to have this guy trying to chase me down I25. As I'm getting ready to enter I25 I notice a Loaf-n-Jug on the left that I passed. I decided to make a quick u-turn (no traffic behind me or in the oncoming lane) and head to the gas station. The guy see's me doing this and goes at me head on into the gas station. I make it around him and floor it to the doors of loaf-n-jug knowing that there were a lot of people there an cameras everywhere. I jump off my bike and see him lock up his brakes at on of the gas pumps. He jumps out of his car and starts coming at me. But Luckily out of the corner of my eye I see a CO State Patrol Officer at one of the other pumps and I yell at him. The Guy looks at who I'm yelling at and goes into this weird panic mode and walks right into Loaf-n-jug like he was going in to buy a soda. I ran over the Officer and told him what was going on. We go over the whole situation and the Officer is being great. Then the Officer looks at the store and asks if the guy hiding behind the stacks of soda who is spying on us from inside was the guy that chased me. I looked and sure as shit this guy is inside the store trying to hide. I continue my talk with the Officer and decide not to do anything because it would only be my word against his (stupid me for forgetting to my gopro!!). The Officer tells me how to get to the Berthoud Track and tells me that he'll take care of the Guy. I'm fine with that. As I pull out and head towards I25 I see the Officer call the guy out of the store and I continued to the track to have some fun on my new bike.

The scariest part was that I didn't see the guy pull over and approach me. This psycho could have gotten out with a tire iron or gun and done whatever he wanted.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Re: Chased by a Road-Raged Vigilante!

Holy shit...
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Jesus! And here I thought sitting at the airport for 7 hours only to have Frontier cancel my flight out of Fresno was a shitty start to the holiday weekend. Glad you got away clean, that is scary as hell.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post
    Jesus! And here I thought sitting at the airport for 7 hours only to have Frontier cancel my flight out of Fresno was a shitty start to the holiday weekend. Glad you got away clean, that is scary as hell.
    No that's still shitty lol.
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Wow. Good thinking and a good job. If I were in your shoes I'd have put distance between me and him after the first stop and if he continued to pursue and i couldn't get away or felt threatened, he'd have been staring down the barrel of my .45....

Not that I'd have been in the right....
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

Chill out. Find the inner Zen.

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie675 View Post
    ...Black Nissan Altima...
    I don't suppose you got a plate?

I think situations like this these days are valid reason to start posting up plate numbers so people can be on the lookout for psychos and asshats
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Quote Originally Posted by BushyAR15 View Post
    Wow. Good thinking and a good job. If I were in your shoes I'd have put distance between me and him after the first stop and if he continued to pursue and i couldn't get away or felt threatened, he'd have been staring down the barrel of my .45....

Not that I'd have been in the right....
    Theres the catch. I have 4 years of military police experience and other 3 years of international police work. That being said - I'm not a cop and I don't want to be a cop. I don't act like one, and I sure as hell don't think that I can pull off any stunts and use the whole "I'm one of you guys" lines. I actually suck at being a cop, but I'm damn good in crazy situations. So the whole time I was trying to make sure I didn't do anything stupid that could have landed me in court.

I had a knife available in my tank bag, and wasn't carrying. But I know that if at any point I would have pulled over and drawn any sort of weapon I would have immediately escalated the situation. At that point he would probably have decided to ram his car into me. Either way that would have been a very hard explanation once the police arrived.

When I finally got to the gas station - If I was carrying - there is no way I would have drawn my weapon unless I seen him get out of his car with a weapon. Since I didn't see him have a weapon, which could have been concealed, there was no point in grabbing my knife and having a crazy throw-down on cameras without any evidence of him trying to use his vehicle as a deadly weapon. I was planning on going inside and telling the register worker to call 911 and I was going to lock the front door or move to a place where I could remain safe until the police arrived.

I'm lucky that CSP just happened to be there and the situation immediately diffused.

I did not get the plate #'s. I had the chance before I left but really didn't have any use for them. Here's he description of the guy and the vehicle.

2002-2004 Black Nissan Altima
    Looked lowered
    Gloss black and Silver wheels

The guy
    6ft
    Big gut but muscular build
    Approximately 40 years old
    Mustache - dick tickler
    Cowboy boots
    Obviously some form of a Psychological Disorder

In lucky that CSP just happened to be there and the situation immediately diffused
    Rare, but lucky
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

I am glad you went to a place with cameras and witnesses! Pretty damn funny how that guy acted when you called him on his shit in front of the HiPo! It sounds like that guy was mad enough he might have tried to hurt you. Asshats.

I have had a few people do this to me while I have been riding, although I am mostly on the ZX14. If they get all in my riding space I usually just walk (go fast) away from them and forget about it.

That's why I said, I wouldn't necessarily have been in the right. Obviously drawing a firearm is the last resort. But if you feel you life is in eminent danger and you feel there are no other options...

Of course I understand that I'd be arrested and unless I can prove to the police I was out of options and acted out of fear for my life and in self-defense.... they may present to the DA for prosecution.

And each situation is unique and playing the what if game would result in a myriad of possibilities....

Thats why I say he/you did good by doing what you did....
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Gloves with those carbon/kevlar armored knuckles can also help level the playing field when someone decides to physically assault you on a bike. You will do significant damage and have the defense that you were assaulted in your gear, and had to react right away with whatever you had on.

Glad things didn't escalate and CSP was around to educate the asshole in any event. I wonder what he'd have done at the gas station if the officer wasn't there, maybe you'd be the next youtube star.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Gloves with those carbon/kevlar armored knuckles can also help level the playing field when someone decides to physically assault you on a bike. You will do significant damage and have the defense that you were assaulted in your gear, and had to react right away with whatever you had on.
    A helmet could be a great weapon too along with the protection it provides
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Yet another reason why I don't even want to ride street anymore. Cagers are more aggressive than ever... glad you walked out all good man, finally a cop in the right place at the right time.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie675 View Post

The guy
    6ft
    Big gut but muscular build
    Approximately 40 years old
    Mustache - dick tickler
    Cowboy boots
    Obviously some form of a Psychological Disorder
    I think its clear why he was following you.

Im sure the 9 in my waist band would have been itching to come out...
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

funny, girls do the same thing when i approach them to get their phone number. you people and your crazy over-reactions.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

The guy just wanted to talk to you about recommended usages of the paragraph.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Maybe it's the heat. There was a crazy lady on the way back from Deckers to day. We were just following behind this Subaru on Foxton Rd for a few miles, when she starts throwing the finger at me and shit. I thought to just get out of there and passed her, as did the rider behind me, when the third guy in our group tries to go around, she swerves out and tries to run him off the road. Bat shit crazy bitch!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Do you think open-carrying may have scared him off?

I'm a pretty big proponent of open carry, I think it prevents a lot of situations like this one. People are scared of guns. And a gun on the waist isn't menacing. GoPro and an open-carry can save your bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Do you think open-carrying may have scared him off?

I'm a pretty big proponent of open carry, I think it prevents a lot of situations like this one. People are scared of guns. And a gun on the waist isn't menacing. GoPro and an open-carry can save your bacon.
    I just had this discussion with my wife tonight. I was telling her we should both start open carrying when we ride. But, I was worried about how other LEO's looked at that type of practice. I didn't want to cause problems that were not there.

Now I can't speak for all cops, but I'm all for responsible open carry. All I ask is that no matter what you keep your hands away from the gun. If it's on your right hip and your wallet is in your back pocket, ask the Officer what to do. Once you ask, I'd tell you to get your wallet slowly. Other than that I don't really make it a point of conversation. It's your right, and I think it makes the world a safer place. And for me, I'm a lot less likely to write you a ticket also

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Now I can't speak for all cops, but I'm all for responsible open carry. All I ask is that no matter what you keep your hands away from the gun. If it's on your right hip and your wallet is in your back pocket, ask the Officer what to do. Once you ask, I'd tell you to get your wallet slowly. Other than that I don't really make it a point of conversation. It's your right, and I think it makes the world a safer place. And for me, I'm a lot less likely to write you a ticket also
    Thanks for the point of view Aaron!

This situation has been going through my mind a lot over the past 24 hours. I decided that my best option was to place a weapon in my tank bag. No, I didn't put my gun in there, and my knife is only part of my multi-tool, but instead I went and picked up a little can of OC spray. I would have had no issues spraying him when he knocked on my helmet, rode away, and immediately called 911 to inform them of the situation. I've been through OC training enough times to know that it will stop almost any person dead in their tracks.

Tell me about it, I hate that shit with a passion. It is very effective, and easy to justify use. Just be sure and call 911 like you said, and be calm and respectful with the cops. Your demeanor with them plays a huge role in your likely demeanor with the other guy.