Thread: Pirelli Scorpion Trails

Pirelli Scorpion Trails

I've had a set of the Pirelli Scorpion Trails on the Multi since it was new. No complaints on the street, after about 4800 miles. They were a little flat spotted in the rear, but still had probably 1000 more miles before hitting the tread wear indicators.

Yesterday, I went out on my first dirt road on this bike; it was the 2 miles or so of dirt on the 285 side of Guanella pass. And wouldn't you know, the tire got punctured (I think from a rock), and slow leaked down to flat over the next half hour or so. Ugh.

I was actually planning to buy another set of these prior to this...but after this incident, and having found a thread on a Ducati forum talking about how puncture prone they are, I'm out. Switching to a set of Pilot Road 3's tomorrow. Hoping they'll be ok for the occasional dirt road...

Re: Pirelli Scorpion Trails

I have been running the Heidenau K60 scouts on my Moto Guzzi Stelvio since new. The first rear tire lasted 11K miles with 6K of that two up and loaded, the first front lasted 13K miles. They seem to do very well in the dirt and handle just fine for me on the pavement. I also hear that the Anakee 3 is a long wearing tire with great wet handling and is supposed to do just fine in the dirt. I have never tried them however. I think they would be a good choice for occasional dirt as they are supposed to be better off road than the Anakee 2. The Pilot road 3 trail looks like a decent 90/10 tire but the Anakee looks more like a 80/20 ???

The Pilot road 3 is supposed to be a great tire but is probably strictly pavement.

Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Anakee 3's have been getting good reviews. Friend of mine says they're find on street and dirt on his Triumph Tiger 800.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

After riding back from Grand Mesa with 2 plugs in the rear tire on my Strada, I did the same thing.

Swapped out for the PR3s. Problem I found when looking for tires was finding something that could perform DS duties, street duties and came in the Strada sizes.

So, out of curiosity, did you use the plug kit that came with your bike, or did you make it home without having to break it out. Reason I ask is that we went through that whole kit trying to get the plugs to work and they just fell apart. I ended up paying a local bike shop to tow my bike to their shop in Delta and plug the tire.
    Last edited by salsashark; Sat Jul 6th, 2013 at 06:08 AM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    So, out of curiosity, did you use the plug kit that came with your bike, or did you make it home without having to break it out. Reason I ask is that we went through that whole kit trying to get the plugs to work and they just fell apart. I ended up paying a local bike shop to tow my bike to their shop in Delta and plug the tire.
    I did use the kit that came with the bike; seemed to work ok. I've only had it for 6 weeks or so though - maybe the plugs dry out after a while? They were in a blister pack.

Turns out my plug wasn't great - lost 6 psi overnight. Good enough to limp home and then to the tire store, though.

It got you home, that's all it's meant to do.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.