Thread: Motorcycle Hitch Carrier Help

Question Motorcycle Hitch Carrier Help

I'd like to buy another trailer, probably a 2-3 place flatbed. The problem is I really don't have room to store it. I'm thinking about going with a hitch carrier. Mostly for a MXer but would still like to have the option to load up the Sumo or Superbike for the occasional track day. The hitch carriers look flimsy and just unsafe but then I've never used one.
    Are they ok and safe?
    Are some brands/models better than others?
    Should I just rearrange my garage and make room for a trailer?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Re: Motorcycle Hitch Carrier Help

I would figure out a way to store the trailer. That said, there are hitch carriers strong enough for a sportbike but the standard carrier you see in stock at a store is only suitable for the dirt bike. You also need a truck capable of handling a 500 lb tongue weight which rules out most compacts.

If you still want to go the hitch carrier route, I would recommend Moto Tote

I have used my hitch carrier for years on dirt bikes and just love it. There is no way I would put a sport bike on one. JMHO:

But then I have only used the lighter ones designed for dirt bikes.
    Last edited by Lomax; Mon Jul 15th, 2013 at 06:32 AM.
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

I had the same problem with storage and got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/ALEKO-600Lb-Mo...e+hitch+hauler

600# capacity and has worked great for 15+ trips with my r6 as well as hauling around some people 1000s. I was also tying it down with 8 straps... just in case. If it happens to fall over or off, you are fucked... unlike with a trailer where it still ends up in the trailer bed and not flying down the road at 75mph.

The biggest problem with hitch haulers is that that heavily loads the rear end of the vehicle and raises the front up. Makes driving a bit odd. I have air ride on the SUV which compensated for the weight, but I have seen other SUVs/Trucks almost dragging hard parts on the rear end.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Another option is a foldable trailer. We have them in stock at Fay Myers, unfolded it is a regular 2 place (I think, maybe 3) motorcycle trailer. Folded it is only about 2 x 8 feet and about 6' tall. It sits on casters when folded so moving it into the corner is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Another option is a foldable trailer. We have them in stock at Fay Myers, unfolded it is a regular 2 place (I think, maybe 3) motorcycle trailer. Folded it is only about 2 x 8 feet and about 6' tall. It sits on casters when folded so moving it into the corner is easy.
    Ive given that some serious thought as well but I think they have a max recommended speed of 45mph. Any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Ive given that some serious thought as well but I think they have a max recommended speed of 45mph. Any truth to that?
    That does not sound right to me but I will check tomorrow with sales.

I use the harbor freight foldable 4x8 trailer

It folds up so small that it takes up the same exact amount of room along the wall as my R6

It's actually a pretty good trailer

If you're willing to spend the money, there's the Kendon line of trailers. We have one of the 3 rail folding ones. Fits on end inside a garage with an 8ft ceiling.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    I use the harbor freight foldable 4x8 trailer..
    I've seen folks with HF trailers out at HPR, surely they didn't drive at 45mph to get there. IIRC Foolds on CSC had one I think, ask him if there's a towing speed limit. IMO as long as you use the 12in wheels and not the little 10 inchers it reduces wear on the wheel bearings.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I have 12" wheels on mine. I don't go more than 70mph with it. It's stable at highway speed. Not much of a concern

I plan to take the wheel bearings out at the end of the season and re pack them. i'll see how they hold up

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I've seen folks with HF trailers out at HPR, surely they didn't drive at 45mph to get there. IIRC Foolds on CSC had one I think, ask him if there's a towing speed limit. IMO as long as you use the 12in wheels and not the little 10 inchers it reduces wear on the wheel bearings.
    That is exactly my concern, Im not going to go 45mph from Parker to HPR, IMI, Watkins, PPIR, etc.
    Thanks for the input. The folding harbor freight might be the ticket.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

I have one of the harbor freight fold up 4x8 trailers and it has worked out great for me for the last 5 years or so. Tows great with the upgraded wheels. Even my old Audi A4 (1.8T) towed it great. I usually try not to do sustained high speeds with it, but I did 80+ all the way through Kansas when I moved out here and it didn't miss a beat. Take care of the wheel bearings and you should be good to go. I also have one of the HF hitch racks as well that I purchased specifically to tow a new dirt bike back from Ohio....I didn't want to tow my trailer all the way there and back. The rear of my FX35 squatted down a bit when loaded up, but it did great for the 1,400 mile trip back, and it almost paid for itself with fuel savings vs. towing the trailer.