Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rain!!!

Re: Rain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Prayers for all the families effected, it's not over! New evacs for Longmont this morning. Feel so bad for folks in Lyons and other severely fucked areas. Hope everyone got to safety, and their pets!! Forget material possessions, all can be replaced.
    It started raining AGAIN!
    I've been riding up into the mountains the past few days, and I noticed the emergency road crews clocked out at 4-5PM, and left the roads closed. 400+ missing, thousands cut off, and the warning of more rain on the way... Is it not possible to open up secondary pathways for the locals and have them monitored by LE and relief crews while it's raining?
    Doc, riding IS my physical therapy.

http://www.dailycamera.com/breaking-...ers-not-needed

Yeah that makes sense, it's not like there are a ton of houses that are under water, levies that need to be built up, and drainage ditches that need to be dug.

My friend Emily's Sister's family live up on Gold Hill. Helicopters are dropping them food/water but they don't know how long they'll be stranded! That would suck.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    My friend Emily's Sister's family live up on Gold Hill. Helicopters are dropping them food/water but they don't know how long they'll be stranded! That would suck.
    I was thinking about going from door to door asking them if they needed anything, and running supplies on the WR back from town. I don't mind putting myself or the bike on the line, so if they (or anyone else you know) still need help, let me know.

I heard they were using ATVs and dirt bikes to get people out of Carter Lake area.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duelist13 View Post
    http://www.dailycamera.com/breaking-...ers-not-needed

Yeah that makes sense, it's not like there are a ton of houses that are under water, levies that need to be built up, and drainage ditches that need to be dug.
    It makes a lot of sense actually. The Nat'l Guard and other agencies are in life-protection mode currently. Adding a lot of well-meaning but basically untrained volunteers to the mix not only means that many more potential victims, but puts their own lives at risk having to save you when the waters rise too fast to escape - even a crew of NG soldiers and other responders got stranded by the floods themselves. Especially this weekend and through today, they are concerned with getting people out of the dangerous places, period.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of opportunity to put your sweat into recovery efforts if so desired.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    It makes a lot of sense actually. The Nat'l Guard and other agencies are in life-protection mode currently. Adding a lot of well-meaning but basically untrained volunteers to the mix not only means that many more potential victims, but puts their own lives at risk having to save you when the waters rise too fast to escape - even a crew of NG soldiers and other responders got stranded by the floods themselves. Especially this weekend and through today, they are concerned with getting people out of the dangerous places, period.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of opportunity to put your sweat into recovery efforts if so desired.
    +1 The last thing you want is more people getting involved that have no idea what they're doing and getting themselves into trouble. Dunning-Kruger effect.

Consider helping the first responders and emergency personnel too, or go to the evac shelter and see if they need stuff.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Flood Assistance Resources

1-800-621-FEMA or DisasterAssistance.Gov
    Over the weekend, President Obama declared a Major Disaster Declaration for four counties in Colorado including Adams, Boulder, Larimer and Weld. This declaration extends FEMA's Individual Assistance programs to assist individuals in their recovery from the disaster. This means Adams County residents may now apply for federal assistance for damage and loss incurred as a result of flooding, severe storms and landslides that began September 11, 2013. Although Jefferson County is not currently included in the individual assistance program, residents are still encouraged to register online in case the declaration is expanded to include Jefferson County. There are ongoing damage assessments by officials from the Colorado Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to evaluate additional areas to be included in the declaration.

FEMA aid is designed to help meet emergency needs not met by insurance or other forms of assistance. There is no cost to register for these programs. Anyone who was impacted by the floods should register with FEMA to learn about what assistance might be available to you. There is no obligation to use these services if you are approved.

What assistance for qualified applicants may include:
    • Grants to rent temporary housing as needed.
    • Grants for home repairs not covered by insurance.
    • Grants for serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance—such as medical or dental expenses, moving and storage fees, and personal property replacement.
    • Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) forhomeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private nonprofit organizations to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance.

How to apply:
    • Apply online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov.
    • Apply via smartphone at m.fema.gov.
    • Call the registration phone number at 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

What info you will need:
    • Social Security number
    • Address of the damaged home or apartment
    • Description of the damage
    • Information about insurance coverage
    • A current contact telephone number
    • An address where you can get mail
    • Bank account and routing numbers if you want direct deposit of any financial assistance.

For more information on the Colorado disaster operation, visit fema.gov/disaster/4145.
    John
    KTM Duke 690