Thread: Why Do Electric Motorcycles Weigh So Much?

Why Do Electric Motorcycles Weigh So Much?

Good read on electric bikes. I can't wait for one of these things to make a competitive value proposition. They are going to be epic.

Electric motorcycles like the Mission RS are now achieving performance parity with their Internal Combustion Engine counterparts in every metric but one: weight. Wes asked Derek Dorresteyn, Chief Technology Officer at San Francisco start-up BRD Motorcycles: Why do electric motorcycles weigh so much? — Ed.

Electric motorcycles are heavy first, because they choose applications with high energy demands and, second, due to batteries with low energy density.

Electric motorcycles (EVs) are being built now that deliver on power, weight and range, but not every type of motorcycle or use is appropriate for electric drive. To understand the weight differences between the EV and the gas bike, let’s start by breaking it down to basic systems: chassis, drivetrain and fuel/energy source.

Gas or electric, a motorcycle chassis for a given application has the same structural and ergonomic requirements and should weigh the same. Electric drive (motor, controller and gear reduction) has a massive power density (kW/kg) advantage over ICE drive (motor, transmission, air/fuel intake, exhaust), not to mention superior power delivery and throttle response. Not surprisingly, that leaves most of the difference to the extra mass of the EV’s battery pack.

Today’s best battery tech (lithium chemistries) stores significantly less energy (power x time) per unti mass (kWh/kg) than gasoline. So, while EVs get more power out of less weight, they get less energy (i.e. range) out of more weight. How that balances out depends on the vehicle you’re trying to build. But, the general rule is that electrics are going to excel when the energy demands are relatively low and be heavier when the energy demands are high.

The energy needs depend on the use and rider expectations of a given category. A scooter rider and a touring rider expect different things from their equipment; one is light, used at lower speeds over relatively short distances (low energy), the other is large and built for driving long distances at high speeds (high energy).

Electric Motorcycle Weight

An example of a good fit being met now by an EV is the comparison of a Zero S or Brammo Empulse to a Honda CB500F. The EVs have similar power (~50 hp), weight (~225 kg) and ranges (~160 km) that falls within the expected use of many CB500F riders (commuting, light sport riding). Matching consumer expectations becomes more difficult in an EV for the liter class sportbike rider. They aspire to 300 km days, with a lot of that spent at extra-legal speeds. This takes a lot of energy; somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25 kWh given average sportbike aerodynamics.

Even with the superior energy density of gasoline, this usually means a midday fill up. Despite the huge mass advantage an electric motor has, there is no way with current battery technology to fit that much battery on a sportbike within the typical wet weight ranges (~210 kg) of the ICE sportbikes. Electric sportbike manufacturers then have to balance the compromise of range vs. weight.

Electrics benefit from a large reduction in gyroscopic forces coupled with smooth power delivery, so these bikes can “feel” lighter than equivalent ICE bikes, with their large rotating crankshafts. The examples in the market and on the track (Energica Ego, Mission RS, Lightning Superbike and Brammo Empulse RR) seem to all be converging around 275 kg as that balance point.

So, you could say the short answer as to why electrics weigh so much is, “liter class sportbikes.”

The choice to build an EV for a market with difficult-to-meet range expectations is the reason some EVs are heavier. For the EV motorcycle designer, it boils down to identifying the right factors to balance (mass, power, range and cost) to deliver a product that meets consumer needs. EVs are finding their niches in these places consumer needs can be met now with good choices and technology.

The second part of the answer can be found in the different choices companies make around battery technology. This will take another article to really dive into, but not all EV battery strategies are the same. For example, the A123 battery cells (121Wh/kg) like those used in the Fisker Karma have far less energy than the Panasonic cells like those used in the Tesla Model S (240Wh/kg). For a given range, the Tesla batter is going to weigh 40 percent less. On a 15kWh motorcycle, this would be a 150 kg difference.

My company, BRD Motorcycles, has made a similar choice to Tesla, developing a proprietary, high-energy battery platform to keep weight low and deliver the range customers demand while also providing a great power-to-weight ratio.

In the coming years, EVs will see ranges increase, mostly driven by improved batteries, helping the market for EVs to expand into more segments. That said, don’t plan on replacing your Gold Wing with an EV just yet.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Re: Why Do Electric Motorcycles Weigh So Much?

Source if you want to follow up with anyone - http://rideapart.com/2013/10/why-do-...eigh-so-mucht/

The thing I think that I like most about the Mission R is that you are buying a platform, not just a completed bike that you replace when you want more power, etc. In two years time when the energy density of batteries has gone up, you take your Mission R back to them, they yank your old, heavy worn batteries and replace them with new, lighter more powerful batteries. Then to compliment that they crank up the power on the motor. You get increased range and increased power, repeat in two more years. The motor itself is capable of a 220HP and currently set at 160 to maintain range. So think about where that bike can go in the next 2, 4, 6, 8 years.

Not only that, but they said in 4 years time, they would produce a bike that exceeded the Mission R's current performance at a price point around $15k. That's a solid value proposition.

Cool info. If anyone's interested in battery technology, definitely read the multiple articles on Tesla & GM's ventures in Lithium battery research and where that's headed. Just like growing efficiency in solar panels and chip density, things are only gonna get lighter and more efficient Then you will see how amazing electric bikes will become. Just gotta have patience. But it's not a pie-in-the-sky thing, it's here and now and progressing.

Consumer-level Hydrogen fuel cells? Now that might be a little pie-in-the-sky still, heh...
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I see E bikes being in the same development cycle where Tesla was 5yrs ago. They basically took a prototype roadster with bare bones practicality and created the Model S - leaps and bounds more user friendly. Should be easier with E-bikes, much less electrical draw compared to a car. IMO the next hurdle is charging infrastructure - either high capacity plug-ins or battery swaps, because until that is in place it severely limits the range and potential of E-bikes. Who wants to ride 100mi and then have to sit an hour or more for it to charge up.

Now, E-bikes that can be programmed for different performance/ traction control levels via a smartphone app... that'll be fun!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I see E bikes being in the same development cycle where Tesla was 5yrs ago. They basically took a prototype roadster with bare bones practicality and created the Model S - leaps and bounds more user friendly. Should be easier with E-bikes, much less electrical draw compared to a car. IMO the next hurdle is charging infrastructure - either high capacity plug-ins or battery swaps, because until that is in place it severely limits the range and potential of E-bikes. Who wants to ride 100mi and then have to sit an hour or more for it to charge up.

Now, E-bikes that can be programmed for different performance/ traction control levels via a smartphone app... that'll be fun!
    The Mission R already has this feature, it's dash is an Android Tablet. It has an almost 200 mile range and the capacity to quick charge if a charging station is available. Still, 200 is limiting for sure.

E-bikes are lame to me. Part of the riding experience is just hearing that loud exhaust roar or "hum" while you're going down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by 97ThunderCat View Post
    E-bikes are lame to me. Part of the riding experience is just hearing that loud exhaust roar or "hum" while you're going down the road.
    Maybe you could choose from the noise... Ducati twin, Harley, I4, Triple, CBX-6, just with the click of a mouse. E-dirt bikes and Sumos would be fun, stealthy quiet for trails, hunting, or skate park hooning.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Maybe you could choose from the noise... Ducati twin, Harley, I4, Triple, CBX-6, just with the click of a mouse. E-dirt bikes and Sumos would be fun, stealthy quiet for trails, hunting, or skate park hooning.
    As for your idea Jeff SoundRacer

I love this sound - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnBvi8uXsq4

I want a E motorcycle, bad. I really like the Zero S, range is fine for city riding, but still too much $$ when you consider the new Yami triple is $7990...and you can tour on it.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I never thought much about electric motorcycles but when we had a electric drag bike show up at the track I just rolled my eyes and snickered. Well the current record on a Electric drag bike is 6.9 at over 201 mph in the 1/4 mile.
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles

Range and cost are still definitely limiting factors, but as a second bike, they're quickly approaching viability, especially up here at elevation where you can drop all the ICE bikes down 15%+ on the power axis of that graph. I always thought they'd be great for a track bike given the improved feel and handling combined with the fact that, short of endurance racing, you're taking range out of the equation. With Mission's charging times, I bet you could easily get a full day if you were charging during your off sessions. The BRD would be a sweet little weapon up at IMI.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    +1 They sound like a tie-fighter or something

But, but, but... loud pipes save lives and all that other stuff the leather and chrome crowd keeps saying

I see E bikes being in the same development cycle where Tesla was 5yrs ago. They basically took a prototype roadster with bare bones practicality and created the Model S - leaps and bounds more user friendly.
    Leaps and bounds indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Leaps and bounds indeed.

Details on that fire which was caused by an object in the road - http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-fire

"The nationwide driving statistics make this very clear: there are 150,000 car fires per year according to the National Fire Protection Association, and Americans drive about 3 trillion miles per year according to the Department of Transportation. That equates to 1 vehicle fire for every 20 million miles driven, compared to 1 fire in over 100 million miles for Tesla. This means you are 5 times more likely to experience a fire in a conventional gasoline car than a Tesla!"

Yeah, . and I ride with exploding gas between my legs every time I'm on the bike.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

The Tesla fire just happens to have huge publicity (Look at their stock drop!), and the nature of the fire made it dangerous and very difficult to put out.

The gas between your legs is actually extremely safe. In the tank it's hardly flammable, and outside of the tank, although it is flammable, it is not explosive. It is also easily extinguished, and if not extinguished it'll burn itself out of fuel in short order.

..., and the nature of the fire made it dangerous and very difficult to put out.

I'm curious why you say that? Most lithium ion batteries (and I assume the ones Tesla uses) are lithium intercalated into graphite, so there is no metallic lithium. This means you can use normal fire extinguishers and water on it. Tesla confirms that in their blog "For the Model S lithium-ion battery, it was correct to apply water (vs. dry chemical extinguisher)".
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Cool info. If anyone's interested in battery technology, definitely read the multiple articles on Tesla & GM's ventures in Lithium battery research and where that's headed. Just like growing efficiency in solar panel and chip density, things are only gonna get lighter and more efficient Then you will see how amazing electric bikes will become. Just gotta have patience. But it's not a pie-in-the-sky thing, it's here and now and progressing.

Consumer-level Hydrogen fuel cells? Now that might be a little pie-in-the-sky still, heh...
    Yes we need to make use of eco-friendly ways of energy production..In this way we will be able to generate clean energy and save nature
    Last edited by WilfredAlvarez; Sat Oct 26th, 2013 at 10:33 AM.

The Tesla fire just happens to have huge publicity (Look at their stock drop!), and the nature of the fire made it dangerous and very difficult to put out.

The gas between your legs is actually extremely safe. In the tank it's hardly flammable, and outside of the tank, although it is flammable, it is not explosive. It is also easily extinguished, and if not extinguished it'll burn itself out of fuel in short order.
    Yes, the fire does have huge publicity, because a huge segment of society doesn't care to do any background research on what happened, they just jump on the bandwagon of "New technology is bad, look at how bad that fire was, I bet the people died in the fire..." type BS.

Despite your assurance that the fire was "dangerous, and very difficult to put out", it actually wasn't. It took water and normal fire extinguishers, not special equipment, not special training, just normal firefighting.

Also, the way the battery packs are designed, the fire didn't spread any further than the one set of cells that it started in. It was contained, and easily extinguished.
    2005 GSXR 1000 - Not stock...
    2006 SV650S - Rebuild in progress, with some upgrades...
    1998 Yamaha WR400 - Not stock...
    2008 Dodge QCSB 6.7L Cummins - 525/1019 HP/TQ

According to a report issued by the Kent Fire Department Regional Fire Authority obtained by the International Business Times, the water initially used to put out the blaze apparently fueled the flames, which prompted firefighters on the scene to instead use a dry chemical. After finding the battery pack still on fire, the report says first responders,”had to puncture multiple holes in the pack to apply water to the burning material in the battery,” subsequently cutting open the vehicle’s frame in order to extinguish it.
    I'd call that difficult to put out. I wouldn't say the fire was contained to the one set of cells, I'd say it was contained to burning everything in front of the firewall, which is what would have happened in 95% of ICE cars as well.

I'm not saying electric is bad blah blah blah. I absolutely love the ICE, and don't see myself see going away from it, but I'm not opposed either. Just playing the Devil's Advocate, to fire up the CSC'ers who can't take jokes. So go fly on a 787. Wait, you can't because the lithium ion batteries keep catching fire.