Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow vehicle / toy hauler thread

Tow vehicle / toy hauler thread

So we've been looking at toy haulers and tow vehicles. Not the 8x12 track trailers & 1/2 tons, ...the bigger stuff.

Right now leaning towards the trailer / truck combo rather than a motorhome / trailer combo; mostly so we can have an around town driver when we're at our destination. I'm guessing the trailer (~25-30ft) with the toys loaded will be ~9000lbs, and thinking F250 or Ram2500. I don't think the Tundra / Titan is up to pulling that amount of weight even with 5th wheel.. are they?

Then there's gas vs diesel? Pros and cons? I've read the thread about avoiding the 6.0 and 6.4L diesels.

Figure some of you here have pretty stout race rigs and might be able to weigh in.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Gold Member

Re: Tow vehicle / toy hauler thread

I have a 6.4 and a 7.3. The 6.4 has had some slight issues nothing tooooo bad. Both times was the high pressure fuel gasket and being a f450 it was a cab off ordeal. Warranty covered both times. Ha went heard much about the new 6.7. Sounds like a beast but that's about it. The 6.4 has tons of power but still doesn't feel like my 7.3. I have put thousands upon thousands of miles on both. 100kish on both. Both towing. As for trailers if you want to get a camper/toy hauler one I can speak for is the raptor.

http://www.keystonerv.com/mobile/brand/Raptor

I have repod a bunch of these. They are amazing. Also seem to hold up nicely. I often repod trailers and could spend forever documenting the damage to them that was from being cheaply made but the keystone trailers seemed to hold up better. Also the space inside with the pop outs you would never know you basically had a single car garage on the back of the damn thing.

I also like 5th wheels over bumper. Sure you loose bed space on the truck but the weight is a little more even on the frame. That helps if you get stuck in some bad weather. plus I hate balls. Lol. All in all whatever you look at just remember the most important part. Do you like it? Lay on the beds. Remember you will be sleeping and eating and basically living in it when you are out. So comfort should be a big concern with it.

Have you seen the Tundra ad where they haul the space shuttle around? Seems pretty capable to me!

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Have you seen the Tundra ad where they haul the space shuttle around? Seems pretty capable to me!
    I've seen the ad. But I've heard it's recommended to stick to no more than 75% of the max towing capacity in the mountain west. I think the Titan is right at 9500lbs and the Tundra at 10K. Plus there's the issue of braking .. would not want to have 1/2 ton brakes coming off Eisenhower.
    Last edited by asp_125; Sun Nov 24th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I've seen the ad. But I've heard it's recommended to stick to no more than 75% of the max towing capacity in the mountain west. I think the Titan is right at 9000lbs. Plus there's the issue of braking .. would not want to have 1/2 ton brakes coming off Eisenhower.
    I was joking My towing experience is very limited.

Diesels are more expensive to buy, but will last longer and pull better. If you're contemplating towing anything more than 6K lbs I would really go diesel.

My Dodge Ram has treated me well. It's an 05, I bought it in 05 with 9k on the clock. It just turned over 234,000 and the grand total of repairs to date are:

- U-joints at 140k
    - Water pump at 170k
    - Fuel injector at 198k

Gets decent mileage (20mpg highway unloaded) and pulls my 14k lb 5th wheel with no issues at all.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I've been looking at basically the same situation. I also concluded that the truck/trailer setup was the best answer. I settled on an F350 dually with the 7.3 because it was a good deal and the reputation of the 7.3 is pretty good. And I picked up a fifth wheel hitch from Ralph. For pulling stuff as big as you're talking about, you definitely want a diesel. I prefer a 5th wheel for big loads like that, but you'd probably be ok with a weight distributing hitch.

Townie, thanks for the input on the Raptor. That's the one that had risen to the top in my search.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    Diesels are more expensive to buy, but will last longer and pull better. If you're contemplating towing anything more than 6K lbs I would really go diesel.

My Dodge Ram has treated me well. It's an 05, I bought it in 05 with 9k on the clock. It just turned over 234,000 and the grand total of repairs to date are:

- U-joints at 140k
    - Water pump at 170k
    - Fuel injector at 198k

Gets decent mileage (20mpg highway unloaded) and pulls my 14k lb 5th wheel with no issues at all.
    +1. My grandpa's 1997 dodge cummins (diesel) has 237k miles on it and he pulls a 40ft RV up the mountains all day. (5th wheel) He lives in Steamboat and brings it over Eisenhower every couple of months.
    06 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    Yup!!!!!!

Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Jeff, you're right about taking the Tundra/Titan out of the equation. To pull that kind of weight with the Tundra, it's possible, but then your talking about adding a weight distributed hitch, and also a brake controller of some sorts, not sure if the 2014' Tundra has it built in. But either way, you are close to maxing out recommended towing capacities, and also need to watch tongue weight which isn't much to max out on the Tundra.

13-17 mpg around town/highways driving really slow, but towing, expect 6-8 mpg at best for the Tundra. For lighter loads, Tundra is great, but for pulling 9k lbs, definitely look into something else. Distance range will be a factor as well with the tundra, gas light comes on after 19 gallons used.

Just remember - anything townie recommends because he likes it MAY be easier to repo . But, pay your bills and that isn't a problem.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    Just remember - anything townie recommends because he likes it MAY be easier to repo . But, pay your bills and that isn't a problem.
    Hahaha that is awesome!!!!

Yup, leaning towards a 5th wheel & diesel kinda like Kim'nDean's setup minus the boat.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Gold Member

It ain't no joke if you don't... yeah I hate that show. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Yup, leaning towards a 5th wheel & diesel kinda like Kim'nDean's setup minus the boat.
    If you're looking for used of any brand, or a new ford, I HIGHLY recommend starting at Courtesy Ford and ask for Kristian Strub (Kristian on this board). He's their (25-year) sales manager. Forget four hours of haggling, you'll know in a few minutes if he has something for you.

Tell him Dean sent ya...
    Kim & Dean

Ditto on Kristian at Courtesy (maybe GO now) at south Broadway and C470. I could have saved hours of BS by going there first.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Mon Nov 25th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

+more on Kristian, have bought my last two trucks from him. No bullshit is an understatement. I had a 6.0 previously and let's just say I had some disagreements with it on various topics (especially those pertaining to running like it was supposed to). The new truck is a '13 F350 6.7L and is a f'n beast pulling a trailer. Almost half of the 11k on it now are with a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler behind it - actually just got back this weekend from a 3000 mile trip around the western US.

If you're going to tow regularly or spend time in the mountains with it, IMO diesel is the way to go. 3/4 ton is fine for the trailer you described, but figure out what sort of trailer type/features you want first and then buy the truck to pull it. At least with Fords the 250 and 350 are the same truck with some added weight capacity on the 350 (larger axles, sits 2" higher in the rear, overload spring, different badge), otherwise will ride/drive exactly the same. Where I'm going with this is if you are borderline on a 3/4 ton, or think an even larger trailer is in your future during your ownership of this potential truck, get a 1-ton and just be done with it.

Lastly if you're contemplating a new truck or couple years old, give the 2012+ F-series serious consideration. There were some upgrades from the 2011 in 2012, so if you're going 6.7L aim for that MY or higher. If you're looking older then don't test drive a new one, because you will wind up spending more money than you planned on - they really are that good.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Well.. the shopping has moved upmarket to a 31 footer, 12000 lbs dry. Guess we're looking at the serious haulers, 3/4 or 1 ton dually.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Gold Member

That's a good size trailer.

31'/12k you don't necessarily need a dually; mine is SRW and would handle that trailer just fine. Whether you can go 3/4 ton will depend on the truck and whether that's bumper pull (about 10% of trailer weight on the tongue) or 5th wheel (about 20% on the kingpin). The payload capacity of the truck will factor in more than tow capacity, since that's still within the trailer pull capacity of most 3/4 or 1-ton pickups, at least assuming diesel engine. If you go gas you will likely have a lower tow rating, payload is probably going to be about the same.

What specific trailer (make/model) are you considering?

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    What specific trailer (make/model) are you considering?
    He was thinking of the Ralph Forsythe Custom Special...

Kim & Dean

Man I forgot all about that picture.

than sincere ignorance

Assuming you don't need the haul truck for anything else, what is the good/bad of an RV?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Assuming you don't need the haul truck for anything else, what is the good/bad of an RV?
    That's just it, we want to park the rig somewhere and use the truck to explore or drive to town for groceries, etc. Beats trying to get a motorhome through side roads and mountain roads.

Good of an RV, you can pull a longer enclosed toy trailer = room for more bikes. Which is missing in a toy hauler with only a 10ft garage.

We're looking at a double slide, 31ft Raptor 5th wheel with the 10ft garage. Looking at the RAM 2500 Cummins it looks like it has the balls to pull that kind of weight.
    Last edited by asp_125; Tue Nov 26th, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots