Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tow vehicle / toy hauler thread

Re: Tow vehicle / toy hauler thread

Like Ralph said, the trailer weight is probably not the issue, the pin weight is.

Toyhaulers are front heavy to counter the toys in the back. Also, they are usually built on a thicker frame.

Take the pin weight plus 2-300 lbs for the actual hitch and stuff in the bed and compare to the specs on the truck you are considering.

Payload is approx 2700 for trailer, 300 for hitch, say another 500 for people and gear.. over 3500 lbs - so yeah, thinking even a 3/4 ton isn't enough.
    Man these luxury toy haulers are heavy!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Payload is approx 2700 for trailer, 300 for hitch, say another 500 for people and gear.. over 3500 lbs - so yeah, thinking even a 3/4 ton isn't enough.
    Man these luxury toy haulers are heavy!
    That's why I got such a small ToyHauler. I had to keep it under a certain length, so I wouldn't be over with the boat. No slides, so it wouldn't be over weight with the boat. And, it had to fit in my driveway. Mine is 30' long and 11,000# empty and can carry an additional 3,500#. 3,000# on the pin. If I remember right, I'm 500# overweight on the truck rating and four inches over the legal length for double towing. Don't tell anyone!!!!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    That's why I got such a small ToyHauler. I had to keep it under a certain length, so I wouldn't be over with the boat. No slides, so it wouldn't be over weight with the boat. And, it had to fit in my driveway. Mine is 30' long and 11,000# empty and can carry an additional 3,500#. 3,000# on the pin. If I remember right, I'm 500# overweight on the truck rating and four inches over the legal length for double towing. Don't tell anyone!!!!!
    Always pushing the limits...

Sure, I see the convenience of having the truck for general transpo. I plan to have at least one motorcycle and two bicycles in the back, so no real need for additional local transpo. This is my retirement plan and I will be living in it full time.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Sure, I see the convenience of having the truck for general transpo. I plan to have at least one motorcycle and two bicycles in the back, so no real need for additional local transpo. This is my retirement plan and I will be living in it full time.
    John,

One of the advantages a trailer often has over the motorhome counterpart is tank capacities. The toy hauler motorhomes I've seen "fun mover" class C types often have fresh water capacity around 30 gallons, where the trailers like Jeff is considering have tanks nearer 100 gallons. This can greatly extend your stay time in a place that doesn't have water that is easily accessible.

Okay, good point Scott. I've done zero research since retirement is way off....unfortunately.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    John,

One of the advantages a trailer often has over the motorhome counterpart is tank capacities. The toy hauler motorhomes I've seen "fun mover" class C types often have fresh water capacity around 30 gallons, where the trailers like Jeff is considering have tanks nearer 100 gallons. This can greatly extend your stay time in a place that doesn't have water that is easily accessible.
    We've made it five days with this setup, two of us:
    126gal fresh
    45gal grey
    45gal black
    30gal fuel for toys & generator
    Kim & Dean

Gold Member

Man you are asking for trouble. Would be a shity day if dot nailed you. I'm sure the few inches would slide but the weight..... can't you figure out a way to remove some of that? Well actually let me ask this. Are you over the actual truck weight or the rear axle weight?

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Man you are asking for trouble. Would be a shity day if dot nailed you. I'm sure the few inches would slide but the weight..... can't you figure out a way to remove some of that? Well actually let me ask this. Are you over the actual truck weight or the rear axle weight?
    The company that fabed the hitch for the RV said that they only care when you wreck it. I've seen tons of forty-foot 5th wheels with twenty-four foot pontoon boats on the back. Always wondered how they got away with it.

Total GVW
    Kim & Dean

Gold Member

What they told you is false.... well kind of. Used to be that way but they are starting to crack down because of fatalities. Just so you know not only do you face a fine but they won't let you move until you are under.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I know CHP (Cali) has started pulling over light truck / 5th wheel combos they think might be over gross or length, taking you to a weigh station and making you prove you're legit. Pushing it a little bit is one thing, but some people were being so blatant about it that the cops have started to take note. I haven't heard about CSP doing it here, but I think it's a matter of time really.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I'm just glad that nobody is going around willy-nilly, admitting it. You know... egging on the authorities, so-to-speak.

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I'm just glad that nobody is going around willy-nilly, admitting it. You know... egging on the authorities, so-to-speak.
    Right? It'd be even worse if they were posting pictures of their rig on a public forum...

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Right? It'd be even worse if they were posting pictures of their rig on a public forum...
    So, I probably shouldn't mention that I always have a joint in my hand and a beer in the cup holder while dragging that thing down the road.

Since some seemed concerned, I dug up my paper work and I'm actually 100# underweight. Still 4"over length, buy I knew that was correct. Sold the boat, so it doesn't matter anymore, anyway...
    Kim & Dean

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Ralph may not be up on current affairs.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Ralph may not be up on current affairs.
    I see what you're doing there.

And Ralph its not just state patrol you have to watch out for. Its also the sneaky bastards in white vans with mobile scales. Also they are starting to make it so you need a cdl for diesel pushers for the airbrakes. That I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Also they are starting to make it so you need a cdl for diesel pushers for the airbrakes. That I agree with.
    I am glad to hear that too and I honestly hope they go further. As a former commercial driver it always bothered me to see what RVers could get away with on just a class C. I am not saying a full on CDL test but once you get beyond say a 25' RV or a single trailer you should have to show you are qualified to drive it.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    I am glad to hear that too and I honestly hope they go further. As a former commercial driver it always bothered me to see what RVers could get away with on just a class C. I am not saying a full on CDL test but once you get beyond say a 25' RV or a single trailer you should have to show you are qualified to drive it.
    Agreed 100%.

Yeah, there is some dumbassery that goes on with inexperienced/unqualified drivers for sure. As for towing in general, I've noticed that bigger trailers don't necessarily create the problem for people, they just compound pre-existing knowledge gaps. I wish there were some basic level of knowledge required first, even just a written test (but a quick verification that they can actually hook up a hitch properly wouldn't be bad) that would cover the gotta-know-it stuff. I've lost count of the people I've talked to that didn't know to check tire pressures, do a walk-around, verify safety devices are actually connected, verify the hitch is actually connected and locked, brake controller working and set right, etc. The biggest one I see is the weight distribution, get that wrong and the tail will be wagging the dog at 70mph.

A simple one page DMV exam and a cheap endorsement would just about cover it. Not that I'm into paying more f'n gov't fees, but there are a lot of stupid things that happen where this might make a difference.

As for RV vs CDL, I thought past a certain size you needed one. Guess not?

than sincere ignorance

So, I probably shouldn't mention that I always have a joint in my hand and a beer in the cup holder while dragging that thing down the road.

Since some seemed concerned, I dug up my paper work and I'm actually 100# underweight. Still 4"over length, buy I knew that was correct. Sold the boat, so it doesn't matter anymore, anyway...
    I wasn't really concerned, just pointing out that they are starting to watch for the abusers on the road. Offer the cop a joint though, they love it.

And Barn, when am I ever up on current affairs? I can barely deal with my own shit, let alone everyone else's.

than sincere ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post

As for RV vs CDL, I thought past a certain size you needed one. Guess not?
    There are limits but they are so high it is extreme. A motorhome can be 45' and with trailer you can be up to 70'. You can go up to 54000 GVW. CDL starts at 26000 GVW and there are endorsements on top of that. 2 trailers is an extra endorsement, more that 15 people is an extra endorsement, if you dont test with air brakes you are restricted from using them.

Gold Member

There are limits but they are so high it is extreme. A motorhome can be 45' and with trailer you can be up to 70'. You can go up to 54000 GVW. CDL starts at 26000 GVW and there are endorsements on top of that. 2 trailers is an extra endorsement, more that 15 people is an extra endorsement, if you dont test with air brakes you are restricted from using them.
    Unless things changed in recent months Colorado does not require an airbrake endorsement for recreational vehicles. As for the motorhome and trailer the only restriction a person faces is 26000 pounds. As long as the combined weight is under that anyone with a basic license is good to go.