Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 600cc... Useable?

600cc... Useable?

I feel conflicted! Help!

I'm shopping for a new bike for the street [here we go again]. I've spent a lot street/track of time on 250s and while I'm not intimidated by a 600 I have to wonder: are they really useable off a racetrack? On the one hand, you can break every speed limit in second gear, there's little riding that gets up to requiring-knee-down speeds in your favorite canyon and more cylinders + more power = higher operating costs. On the flip side, inline fours stir the soul in a way that parallel twins really can't. Add to this that $4k can net you a good used 600...

A 250-500cc bike seems to touch all the logical bases (I'm very short, light, slow AND cheap) but I love supersport engines and I am over cleaning/syncing carburetors (but I'm so damn CHEAP!). For some perspective, I liked fairly tight roads when I was riding street: Morrison, Deer Creek, Squaw Pass. I like pushing a bike near its limits. My girlfriend also cannot ride so if we go 2-up, some extra go would probably help. And I've managed to keep a clean license in my wallet - a trend I'd like to continue but I'm not sure I can with triple-digit power.

The new Ninja 300 and CBR500r seem expensive to me given the price of used supersports. That said, they seem to suit my style.

Thank you!

Re: 600cc... Useable?

The bike will only go as fast as you make it as you well know. And, no one sais you need a brand new hardcore 600. There's some really nice older 600's that would be great for 2 up, handle the tight stuff, ride comfy, and do that all while being cost effective. And if you wouldn't mind a carbureted bike, you can find the super super cheap. Bikes like the Honda F4i, Kawasaki ZZR600, Yamaha YZF600R. Killer 600 bargain bikes that can do it all.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Go find the cleanest ZRX1200 in the state. You can thank me later.

John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDeadman View Post
    On the one hand, you can break every speed limit in first gear
    corrected for you, unless you're in Texas

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Are you set on a sport bike? I am such a huge proponent of naked bikes for the street, they are way more comfortable and fell more nimble under most circumstances. Americans are stupid about the amount of power you need, I think if you rode my Aprilia Shiver, a Triumph Street Triple, Ducat Monster you would fall in love and go that route. I would look at an FZ-09 too.

Have you thought about an sv650?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Go find the cleanest ZRX1200 in the state. You can thank me later.

this

if you doubt the capability of this motorcycle I'll say that it is the exact bike we used for two full seasons of track laps two-up for. Racing 2 Save Lives. Incredibly competent and fun to ride with power everywhere.

Ill post photos later.

What ever happend to the racing to save lives anyway Scott?
    +one on bikes only go as fast as you make umm. If your two up alot I wouldn't go sport bike though. Yet to see a seat that even looked like you'd wanna be sitting on for very long on the back on any of them.
    The vfr would be a good one. More of a sport tourer but not as big as a fjr.
    Some of the naked bikes would be good. I like the look of the fz8 over the 9 but that 9 is a good deal. Just wish it had at least a Lil fairing around the light and gauges and didn't have the seat like that and the suspension was better.

And here I thought a rider would be trying to justify their purchase of a literbike. Best of luck OP! I'm trying to get my sister into the sport, and maybe a few of these recommendations could be saved for later use.

A 600 is definitely useable for the streets. Obviously not just for knee down speeds.... but for the power to get up to speed and also at times to avoid trouble. Its not an every ride occurance around town but when it happens.... you will be glad to have that get up and go.

Great feedback, guys! I'm definitely on the sportbike route as I like the way they look and feel. My last bike was a WR250X and while it was totally functional, I preferred the geometry and appearance of my old ninja 250 (I have to hem 30" inseam pants).

That said the fz8 and street triple are pretty sexy. A little spendy though...

Great feedback, guys! I'm definitely on the sportbike route as I like the way they look and feel. My last bike was a WR250X and while it was totally functional, I preferred the geometry and appearance of my old ninja 250 (I have to hem 30" inseam pants).

So what bikes are you thinking of?

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

How bout a buell there small and look fun as hell

Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    How bout a buell there small and look fun as hell
    yeah here's one in the Springs for what looks like a good deal.
    http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/4208816273.html
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

If you are that tight on the budget then go use JDM 600 and call it a day. Honda gets my vote.

I love the way the Buell's look, and I'm not sure what it is because they're very different, but something does it for me.

However, their performance is par at best. The partnership with Harley Davidson meant that a very standard HD twin found it's way into the Buell's, which resulted in a sportbike with the engine from a cruiser, and the two never got along. The 9r makes about 75hp, roughly what you'd see from an SV650, but it does so in a way that will leave you wanting more all the time, whereas the SV650 does so in a way that you never feel out-gunned. Back when I first got my first sportbike, an SV1000S, I rode a friend's XB9r for a couple hours, and was happy to give it back. The bike was slow, sounded identical to a Harley, and the the power curve was straight boring.

I'm with Colorado S14, you really can't go wrong with any of the big 4's 600s. Go ride all 4 and see which one looks the best, and feels most comfortable to you.

I loved my 07 Yamaha FZ6. Regret selling it last summer.

Sport bike (vs "super" sport).

600cc -- same engine as the R6 but detuned for greater mid-range usage.
    Standard riding position.

Every bit as fast in the twisties but comfortable for all day riding. I did a ton of 500 mile plus day rides on that bike.

Cheap insurance - $80/yr in my case with full coverage, $250 deductible.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

yeah id say an fz6 sounds right up your alley. more tame 600 for your license status and wallet. the ergos of your previous rides with the buttery inline 4 smoothness you desire.

i came into this thread with "just get the 1000" on the tip of my tongue though lol
    ~Scott #119

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Cheap insurance - $80/yr in my case with full coverage, $250 deductible.
    I am still 23, so I paid more than $80 a year for liability on my 250's with any major insurer (progressive, geico, allstate...)

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    So what bikes are you thinking of?
    Small and usable but comparatively expensive and not as exciting:
    CBR 500
    Ninja 300
    FZ6R (sounding better and better)

High performance but maybe not as usable:
    Triumph 675
    CBR600rr (04-06)
    Kawi ZX6 (05-0

The more I contemplate, the more I think the 600s make sense. You only live once, right? The price jump to a supersport isn't so great in the used market (1-2k tops). If I cannot everything out of it on the road, I can always hit IMI pr HPR with it and just try not to throw it on the ground!

Yeah the FZ6R is a nice bike. Out of the ones you listed, that sounds like the one that would most meet your needs. Good luck on the hunt!!!

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Might just have an FZ6R (09) for sale. You say you're very short, this one's lowered (correctly) already.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

ha yep. If you're thinking a Yamaha, I have both an 07 R6S and 06 R6 (newer version) available. I know I shouldn't keep both, can't decide which one to keep so someone should just take one off my hands

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

I think you should also look at a second gen and newer SV650. Plenty of power, great Vtwin sound, comfortable(ergos similar to your wr) and generally inexpensive to purchase on the used market. Just something to think about.
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250