Thread: ABS vs non-ABS..

ABS vs non-ABS..

Is it necessary to get ABS? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on it, so I'm debating whether or not I should. Would like more thoughts.

Re: ABS vs non-ABS..

I dont feel it is necessary but I also dont see it hurting anything. The only thing it will prevent (other than locking up a wheel and crashing) is stoppies. One negative I have seen (and this is not relevant to bikes) is that in my truck on ice I am less cautious with the brakes knowing ABS is there to save my ass.

Might as well get it, it's really nice knowing when you're on the street you're able to slam on your brakes and not flip over. But you'll almost always be able to disable ABS, so you might as well have it.. Just to have it. I love having ABS on my bike.

There are some who think ABS becomes a crutch, that it prevents a rider from fully developing a feel for threshold braking. I kind of see that, if you don't have the finesse you might ham hand it or are abrupt with the brakes. If your ABS ever fails you're SOL. But honestly, how many street riders have ever braked at the limit? The flip side is if you hit some oil or a slick patch ABS may save your ass. So maybe for the street ABS has some value. On the track with a good rider, is ABS necessary?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

A number of endurance race teams run the OE Honda ABS, because it reduces rider fatigue. Systems vary in their intrusiveness, some are very annoying, cutting in abruptly and far before most riders would expect, others are utterly transparent to the rider.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I've been riding and for over 29 years (also raced for a bunch of those) and only my most recent motorcycle, a 2012 Diavel has ABS. Being old-school I was very hesitant to have ABS on my bike. But after a couple years with it on my bike its no big deal. And what I mean is I thought it would be intrusive and would come on too early, stop me from threshold braking, etc. But again, its not. I can adjust mine to the point where its almost off completely (Don't know if you can turn it off, never tried). Only once in "Touring" mode when I had to stop quickly did it come on. I thought it was a bit early as I did not think it was necessary…

Now this just may be the Ducati, but I do notice when you are decelerating and almost at a stop like at a light, you can feel a very slight pulsing on the lever. No biggie, but different…

I'm not saying I'm the best rider ever and don't need any riding aids, but if there was a price difference to have ABS, I'd have passed on the Ducati… But it wasn't an option...
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

I say get it, it may save your life or prevent serious injury that one time when you really need it. I don't consider it a crutch and as they said, on the track just disable it.

-Murdock

Not sure what manufacturer you're looking at, but I've ridden Triumph, Kawasaki, and BMW bikes with ABS and the BMW to me seemed the most polished, followed by the Triumph and then Kawi. Either way, it's not going to 'hurt' anything, especially the newer bikes/systems.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

I have ABS on my VFR and I'm glad I do. It has never activated (except a few practice times on dirt), but I know it's been close a few times. I have seen plenty street videos of guys low-siding from too much rear brake in a turn. Plus, as mentioned earlier, it could save your ass if you happen upon something slick on the road. For riding on the street, I honestly don't see any negatives to having ABS.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Is there a difference between ABS and linked brakes? I know that the VFR has linked brakes, that activate the rear brakes in conjunction with the fronts. Does the BMW system activate the rears as well or just the fronts?
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

There is no connection between linked brakes and ABS. All 6th gen VFRs had linked brakes (I dont know about earlier) but ABS was an option.

Some of the modern ABS systems are partially linked, in that applying front brake in a panic situation will also trigger the rear to give maximum braking potential. Applying rear brake only won't have the same affect however.

On the '10+ C14, the rear brake activates part of the fronts (maybe a piston or 2) and the front brake activates the rear at some sort of percentage. I've heard that most are linked front-back and only a few back-front on most ABS equipped bikes. I do know on the connies the amount of linking can be somewhat modified in a menu on the dash. I believe on some of the adventure/supermoto bikes the linking and/or ABS can be disabled totally for rear or both wheels for off road/street hooning.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

I have no experience with ABS on bikes, but after reading multiple crashes resulting from too much front brake, if it was my dollar I would get ABS. As much as we all like to think we are more skilled than we are, it's called panic braking for a reason. If ABS can prevent a simple too much brake induced low side, I say it's worth the money.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

The ABS on my BMW enduro could be switched off. I think any dual sport with ABS should have it disabled; ABS is useless on gravel, dirt and other loose surfaces. Which brings up the question .. what if you suddenly hit gravel? LOL..
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Thanks all. I'm looking at Triumph and it looks like it can be switched off. I guess it doesn't hurt to have it then.

I've braked to the limit on the street without ABS. Knowing how to use both brakes in full panic mode saved me from t-boning a Jeep. I like ABS on a street bike just fine, but you still need to learn how to brake without it.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    The ABS on my BMW enduro could be switched off. I think any dual sport with ABS should have it disabled; ABS is useless on gravel, dirt and other loose surfaces. Which brings up the question .. what if you suddenly hit gravel? LOL..
    http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/01/17...ainst-ktm-abs/
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

Impressive test. One of the reasons I want to buy a new bike is for the electronics. I'm all for it and think it makes street riders of all levels safer.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Interesting find. Still maintain that purely off road ie going down a loose rock trail and not some hard packed dirt road, that ABS is pretty useless.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by biikChiQ View Post
    Thanks all. I'm looking at Triumph and it looks like it can be switched off. I guess it doesn't hurt to have it then.
    Good call on Triumph, I love mine!

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Impressive test. One of the reasons I want to buy a new bike is for the electronics. I'm all for it and think it makes street riders of all levels safer.
    Exactly! If you're able to turn it off, why not have it. Blows my mind how many people are so against new technology.

A lot of the adventure bikes have a TC and ABS setting for offroad that adapts for loose sand and gravel, allowing the sliding you wouldn't expect and need in those situations. They mostly all have the "off" option also though.

I have crashed on the street three times in my life, all a while ago and all were minor. ABS would've prevented 2 of the crashes, fuel injection the third. I swear by electronic aids.

I would be venture to say 75% of the people here have had a street crash that would've likely been prevented with ABS. There is no downside to having it. The systems weigh about 4 lbs, most can be turned off (Mine can), and mine is not intrusive at all (Can't comment on the others).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I would be venture to say 75% of the people here have had a street crash that would've likely been prevented with ABS. There is no downside to having it. The systems weigh about 4 lbs, most can be turned off (Mine can), and mine is not intrusive at all (Can't comment on the others).

Sure everyone should pratice and know how to threshold brake, but what happens when you threshold brake on the streets and there happens to be a little sand, your tires are new or almost done, there is an oily spot, or the ever present painted lines? Everyone one of those things can alter just how much braking power you have. Practice all you want, but any one of the conditions I mentioned or hundreds of others can alter your stopping power that you have practiced. ABS can help eliminate most or at the very least minimize the effects of those conditions.

Like Aaron said, if it adds 4lbs, big deal most bikes have shaved so much weight in the last 10 years, 4lbs isn't going to matter unless you are a MOTO GP star. I see no reason not to get ABS if it fits your budget.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]