This August my lovely wife and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. Traveling on the motorcycle has become somewhat of an anniversary tradition.

This year we want to hit up the Pacific Coast Highway.

Here's where I need help planning.

I'm not familiar with any motorcycle roads west of Moab, UT. I've never been on the PCH so I don't know where I should start the PCH and where I should end it.

Here's a rough route I drew up: http://goo.gl/maps/Y3cgp

Basic trip rules:

• The trip is more about the ride then the destination.
  • Starting and ending location is Colorado Springs, CO.
  • We have 1 week to complete this trip.
  • Prefer to avoid interstates.
  • First or second week of August depending on weather and work.
  • Bike is a Gen 2 set up for touring. Will also have Justin's LED Rider LR4 auxiliary lights so some night riding is possible.
  • We can comfortably cover 500-700 miles a day, maybe more 700 miles in a single day has been the most we've previously done.
  • No camping planned (but could be open to it). Only the finest 2 star motels for us
  • I kind of like the idea of going to Santa Monica in one shot, would be a SS1000 for both of us.

Questions:

1) Is the PCH better riding south to north or north to south?

2) Where should I enter and exit the PCH? Right now I'm thinking Santa Monica in the south and Eureka in the north. Should I go further south to San Diego? Further north past Eurka?

3) Any routes to avoid the boring desert highway sections in Nevada?

4) Must see sites along the way?

And lastly... With Colorado Springs being the starting/end location... any other trip suggestions? Basically anything up to 3500 miles is game.

Thanks!

Justin