Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI - Cardo Scala Rider refuses to warranty their products

FYI - Cardo Scala Rider refuses to warranty their products

Scala boast how their products have a 2 year warranty.

Unless you buy directly from them or a "brick and mortar" store they will refuse to honor their 2 year warranty.

One of my G9 units (nearly $300 in 2013) died, won't charge, ect. I emailed their support. They requested my contact info, proof of purchase, ect.

Sent that to them and got this response.

Why on earth would the average consumer not expect there to be a warranty because they buy it online? All I can say is I am returning the new G9x powerset I just bought yesterday, ditching all of my scala rider stuff and switching to SENA!

Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting the Cardo Systems Support Center.

Unfortunately we cannot provide direct assistance in this case as we do not provide warranty support for Amazon purchases and we do not authorize any of our resellers to sell products on Amazon. You will need to contact the reseller that the product was purchased from and work directly with them in order to obtain support. If the reseller isn't willing to provide assistance but didn't list that the product warranty is void if purchased on eBay, Amazon, or other similar online sites, you may want to consider contacting Amazon or your credit card company about a fraudulent sale.

To avoid potential problems and to receive our support and warranty coverage, we strongly recommend buying our products only from authorized Cardo dealers. Your favorite brick-and-mortar store, or if authorized, the store's own website is always your best bet. Generic online resellers such as Amazon or online auction sites such as eBay are not among Cardo's authorized dealers, and purchasing our products from such sites will be at your own risk.

Cardo strives to provide quality products and exceptional customer service. We select dealers who share that vision. Buying grey market items from unauthorized dealers on the Internet is counterproductive and also adversely affects unsuspecting online consumers who may be purchasing used, counterfeit or defective products or devices whose warranties are void. Protect your investment by purchasing genuine Cardo and scala rider® products only from authorized dealers.

http://www.cardosystems.com/us/where...ortant-message

Please feel free to contact us if we can assist you with any other questions.

Best Regards,

Geoff Grey
    Customer Service
    Cardo Systems, Inc.

+1 412.788.4533
    +1 800.488.0363
    support@cardosystems.com

"If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Re: FYI - Cardo Scala Rider refuses to warranty their products

Sena is the way to go for sure
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

So did you contact the amazon seller? They are legally obligated to warranty it for at least a year (google warranty of merchantability)

Yep Cardo sucks.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I contacted the seller (about 10 minutes ago). Haven't heard back yet... don't really expect to.

I replied to the Cardo guy to have his supervisor call me.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Sena is the way to go for sure
    Speaking of Sena..

I have a Sena SM10 that I picked up recently for my radar detector. Works great. Wish I had all Sena units...

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Speaking of Sena..
    I haven't forgot I swear lol, I got you this Friday metz. Thanks for the patience breh
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

No worries man.

Good to know! I know who I'm switching to when our Scala units expire.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Anyone have a Sena that they want to get rid of?

Metz, what were the ones you group bought? Model number
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Ordered a pair of sena headsets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Anyone have a Sena that they want to get rid of?

Metz, what were the ones you group bought? Model number
    The SMH10's, if there is interest I can look into another buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Why on earth would the average consumer not expect there to be a warranty because they buy it online? All I can say is I am returning the new G9x powerset I just bought yesterday, ditching all of my scala rider stuff and switching to SENA!
    You should always check to see if you are buying from an authorized dealer or reseller. The internet is full of 'grey market' items. Buyer beware, buyer be smart and make sure you're buying from an authorized dealer. I ALWAYS check before buying ANYTHING on-line!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting the Cardo Systems Support Center.

Unfortunately we cannot provide direct assistance in this case as we do not provide warranty support for Amazon purchases and we do not authorize any of our resellers to sell products on Amazon. You will need to contact the reseller that the product was purchased from and work directly with them in order to obtain support. If the reseller isn't willing to provide assistance but didn't list that the product warranty is void if purchased on eBay, Amazon, or other similar online sites, you may want to consider contacting Amazon or your credit card company about a fraudulent sale.

To avoid potential problems and to receive our support and warranty coverage, we strongly recommend buying our products only from authorized Cardo dealers. Your favorite brick-and-mortar store, or if authorized, the store's own website is always your best bet. Generic online resellers such as Amazon or online auction sites such as eBay are not among Cardo's authorized dealers, and purchasing our products from such sites will be at your own risk.

Cardo strives to provide quality products and exceptional customer service. We select dealers who share that vision. Buying grey market items from unauthorized dealers on the Internet is counterproductive and also adversely affects unsuspecting online consumers who may be purchasing used, counterfeit or defective products or devices whose warranties are void. Protect your investment by purchasing genuine Cardo and scala rider® products only from authorized dealers.

http://www.cardosystems.com/us/where...ortant-message

Please feel free to contact us if we can assist you with any other questions.

Best Regards,

Geoff Grey
    Customer Service
    Cardo Systems, Inc.

+1 412.788.4533
    +1 800.488.0363
    support@cardosystems.com

Their response sounds extremely polite and to the point. Not their fault you didn't check to see who they authorize...

For those of you who care about warranties, just about anything bought on-line and coming from New York is most likely 'grey market'. No warranties and usually it's a refurbished item.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

I'm an authorized dealer for both Cardo and Sena. They both have policies in place to protect brick-n-mortar retailers including Minimum Advertised Pricing policies, so if you see products like this discounted more than 10% online, you're either buying from an unauthorized dealer, a dealer that is in violation of their MAP agreement and most likely NOT going to be a dealer much longer, or buying a discontinued item that is no longer subject to MAP. Note that the MAP policies don't restrict what the dealers can actually SELL the items at, they just can't advertise the item below a certain price, nor can they use language like "call for best price" in their advertising. That being said, there's nothign to prevent one from contacting an authorized dealer to see if there's some wiggle room...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Update:

I get the reason for a policy... to protect the brick and motar retailers but (and correct me if I'm wrong) a company can't refuse to warranty a product it makes just because you bought it online, right? That would be like GM having a policy that a warranty only applies if you buy direct from the factory. As a consumer, how would you reasonably know this is their policy? All they have is an obscure link on their website (now "Important Message") that I had never seen until the rep referenced in the email above.

Bottom line, it's their product, they manufactured it. They can check the serial number to confirm, heck I even registgerd the headsets when I purchased them.

Update: So a supervisor called me. Very rude and combative. Basically he told me to pound sound and actually taunted me that he wasn't going to do anything. I was stunned.

Apparently this guy has no manager, he runs the show!

So I asked for his legal corespondance address. He wouldn't provide to me at first but then reluctantly gave me the corporate address. He refused to to tell me who the CEO of the company is let alone a phone number.

So I went to the PA Sec of State and looked it up.

I'll pull a Hans Blix from the UN and write him a very angry letter.

Business Name History

Name Name Type
    Cardo Systems, Inc. Current Name

Business Corporation - Foreign - Information
    Entity Number: 3902199
    Entity Creation Date: 8/27/2009
    State of Business.: DE
    Registered Office Address: 100 High Tower Boulevard, Suite 101
    Pittsburgh PA 15205
    Allegheny
    Mailing Address: No Address

Officers
    Name: ABRAHAM GLEZERMAN
    Title: President
    Address: STE 101100 HIGHTOWER BLVD
    PITTSBURGH PA 15205-1155

Name: ABRAHAM GLEZERMAN
    Title: President
    Address: STE 101100 HIGHTOWER BLVD
    PITTSBURGH PA 15205-1155

Looks like they're incorporated out of Wilington, DE... like 90% of the credit cards out there.

Entity Details

THIS IS NOT A STATEMENT OF GOOD STANDING
    File Number: 4672348 Incorporation Date / Formation Date: 04/02/2009
    (mm/dd/yyyy)
    Entity Name: CARDO SYSTEMS, INC.
    Entity Kind: CORPORATION Entity Type: GENERAL
    Residency: DOMESTIC State: DE
    REGISTERED AGENT INFORMATION
    Name: CORPORATION SERVICE COMPANY
    Address: 2711 CENTERVILLE RD SUITE 400
    City: WILMINGTON County: NEW CASTLE
    State: DE Postal Code: 19808
    Phone: (302)636-5401

Their written warranty doesn't specifies that it has to be purchased from a registered seller for the warranty to be applicable; it only specifies a receipt from your store and it not be from an online auction. I don't think they can exclude you from warranty service.

This is what I get from their warranty on a Scala Rider (not sure if this is your exact model or not):
    This warranty also becomes void if:a. any of the seals on the case or battery are broken or Product or battery show signs of tampering,
    b. the battery is used in equipment other than the equipment for which it was intended.
    c. the Product is used in contravention of its intended purpose
    d. the Product was purchased from online auctions
    Last edited by birchyboy; Wed Jun 18th, 2014 at 10:35 AM.

I do warranty law. I have to run out but I'll look into it later. Anyone have a link to Cardo's written warranty?

I found this on google. Product is registered btw.

http://www.cardosystems.com/user_fil...d_warranty.pdf

Prior to contacting us, make sure you have the product serial number available.This can be found on a white sticker on the back of your product. The serialnumber consists of a single letter followed by nine digits. Service is provided underlimited warranty. To receive warranty service, your Product must be registered.Please present the Product, along with your serial number, bill of sale (receipt) atany authorized Service Center or at the store from which you have purchased theProduct. Cardo Systems, Inc. will only accept Products returned in compliance withour Warranty Provisions and submitted with a Return Authorization Number issuedby a Cardo authorized service department. The Company retains the right to return all
    shipments not in compliance with our Warranty Provisions.

Yeah this is pretty common for Amazon and Ebay. You always have to look for a authorized dealer if not they will not honor it. I swear I looked at these before and no only did it say Cardo does not warranty units bought on Amazon, it even states you cannot return to Amazon because it contains flammable gas and liquids

Yup, here is the one I read: http://www.amazon.com/Scala-Rider-G9.../dp/B007Y8XZ58

Special Shipping Information: This product cannot be returned to Amazon.com because it uses flammable liquids and gases, is classified as a hazardous material, or meets other criteria.

Does Cardo honor warranty with you selling units? Dec 26, 2013
    No. Cardo does not cover units sold by amazon

I'd still check with seller though as they are usually down to honor it themselves. I have had them cover me before on a similar issue
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I called agian. Asked for the CEO by name. Guy wouldn't transfer me so he took down my name and number.

I sent an email to the likely email addresses of the CEO as well. We'll see if he responds.

In either case, I'm done with Cardo. My new G9x unit will arrive today but it's going right back. I ordered a pair of Senas that will come tomorrow.

Sena has a 2 year warranty as well but they don't try and pull the grey-market purchase BS.

Quote Originally Posted by koop View Post
    I do warranty law. I have to run out but I'll look into it later. Anyone have a link to Cardo's written warranty?
    http://www.cardosystems.com/user_fil...d_warranty.pdf
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by koop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Their written warranty doesn't specifies that it has to be purchased from a registered seller for the warranty to be applicable; it only specifies a receipt from your store and it not be from an online auction. I don't think they can exclude you from warranty service.

This is what I get from their warranty on a Scala Rider (not sure if this is your exact model or not):
    My search gave me this http://reseller.cardosystems.com/

Welcome to the Cardo Systems Dealer Registration Program

To ensure end users purchase only from Authorized Dealers capable of delivering our unique benefits, all US Direct and Indirect Dealers are required to complete this Dealer Registration Program process and execute a revised Dealer Agreement in order to be considered for authorization with Cardo Systems.

Only Authorized Dealers will be allowed to purchase Cardo Systems products effective June 1, 2012. In addition, certain products introduced in 2012 will only be sold to authorized dealers who have registered and been approved by Cardo.

http://www.cardosystems.com/where-to...ortant-message

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO END-USERS ABOUT
    PURCHASING FROM AUTHORIZED DEALERS

Cardo strives to provide quality products and exceptional customer service. We select dealers who share that vision. Buying grey market items from unauthorized dealers on the Internet is counterproductive and also adversely affects unsuspecting online consumers who may be purchasing used, counterfeit or defective products or devices whose warranties are void. Protect your investment by purchasing genuine Cardo and scala rider®products only from authorized dealers.

Sorry Clovis, not trying to be a dick, just showing you what I saw and pretty sure this is why Cardo will not warranty it. Although per this statement sounds like the issue is with the seller doing this when they know they are not authorized...which kind of seems Cardo does not authorize. Again go after the seller!
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Jun 18th, 2014 at 03:32 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!