Thread: Picked up a pair of riding jeans

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Picked up a pair of riding jeans

I'm not sure how many of you will care, but I was looking for comfortable, safe jeans for around town.

I went by Erico last night as they are the only place in town that carries any type of higher end riding jeans. I had shopped the Rev'its online and decided I liked the Lombard but Erico only has the Campo currently. I put them on for sizing and decided I really liked the look and fit. $300 and some armor later I walked out the door with them on and road home. I'm wearing them again today, I really like the fit and feel.

I'm in a 32x32 which leaves room for the knee and hip armor where I wear a 33-34x34 in regular jeans. As I'm tucking these in and they are narrow (not skinny) legged I didn't want a bunch of extra material at the ankle to try and stuff them in my boots. I now feel like I can ride to work or dinner and not look odd wearing overpants but still feel safe.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-campo-jeans

Poor photos that I snapped for my fashion consultant (Cat)

34x32 to start

32x32 I ended up with

2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Picked up a pair of riding jeans

I've always wanted a pair of armored jeans, haven't been able to stomach the price yet though

I've found they are about same protection as textile...not good enough for me....I will always use leather now.

I can already see them bunching up and that is not something leather will do if properly fit....meaning tight! So basically when they bunch up like that, you are going to get rash still most likely.

Sorry not trying to bag on your purchase, just people should know these protections are nowhere as good as leather so don't get too much confidence with them! This is why you see most people still in uncomfortable leather even on street rides....

Mythbusters did a piece on them http://www.superstreetbike.com/how-t...sh-mythbusters

Myth: Busted
    Each crash is different and it’s impossible to plan for everything so as our parents used to say, “it’s better to be safe than sorry.” From our testing, we found that an everyday pair of denim pants, when dragged on smooth asphalt at a low speed, won’t rip into shreds immediately but will rip faster than a bong on 420 when met with gravel, rocks or road debris. The Draykos saw similar wear to the Levis in the first drag test but left the rocks in much better shape—where the denim ripped, the underlying protective lining stayed strong. At riding speed, jagged edges rip denim in the blink of an eye but knitted Kevlar and Dyneema fabrics withstand much higher levels of abrasion and don’t tear or blow out as easily. We didn’t test at speeds greater than 35 MPH so imagine what would happen at 80 MPH. What’s guaranteed in every crash is that your legs will hit the deck so shouldn’t they be protected? Riding jeans might cost you an extra $100 dollars over what’s already in the closet but that’s a fair trade to limping around with serious leg road rash if things go wrong.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I've found they are about same protection as textile...not good enough for me....I will always use leather now.

I can already see them bunching up and that is not something leather will do if properly fit....meaning tight! So basically when they bunch up like that, you are going to get rash still most likely.

Sorry not trying to bag on your purchase, just people should know these protections are nowhere as good as leather so don't get too much confidence with them! This is why you see most people still in uncomfortable leather even on street rides....

Mythbusters did a piece on them http://www.superstreetbike.com/how-t...sh-mythbusters

Myth: Busted
    Each crash is different and it’s impossible to plan for everything so as our parents used to say, “it’s better to be safe than sorry.” From our testing, we found that an everyday pair of denim pants, when dragged on smooth asphalt at a low speed, won’t rip into shreds immediately but will rip faster than a bong on 420 when met with gravel, rocks or road debris. The Draykos saw similar wear to the Levis in the first drag test but left the rocks in much better shape—where the denim ripped, the underlying protective lining stayed strong. At riding speed, jagged edges rip denim in the blink of an eye but knitted Kevlar and Dyneema fabrics withstand much higher levels of abrasion and don’t tear or blow out as easily. We didn’t test at speeds greater than 35 MPH so imagine what would happen at 80 MPH. What’s guaranteed in every crash is that your legs will hit the deck so shouldn’t they be protected? Riding jeans might cost you an extra $100 dollars over what’s already in the closet but that’s a fair trade to limping around with serious leg road rash if things go wrong.
    I realize I'm trading some risk for styling. These aren't denim, they are Cordura with a liner underneath, similar to the jeans in the test above, the ones that they liked "Riding jeans might cost you an extra $100 dollars over what’s already in the closet but that’s a fair trade to limping around with serious leg road rash if things go wrong"

For me, on my commute to work where I have 35-45 roads or when going out to an event I'm willing to make the trade of comfort for not wearing double layers I have to manage or not sitting in leather all day long. I won't be out in the Canyon's in them, I have leather for that.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Cool...thanks for taking my post as just advice...I was worried I was going to offend you when I was just trying to help in case you didn't know. Appears you understand though that there is some risk with them for the comfort; I'll be honest and say I have a pair of summer textiles for same reason, but I know if I go down on them it won't be the same protection as leather.

And that is true...yours may be better technology since that article...changes so fast!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I made the switch awhile back from Textile Riding pants to Kevlar jeans. Love em. Super comfortable and the knee pads and kevlar are a nice touch.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...1393_200503_73
    Mike
    USAF
    '10 Kawasaki Z1000

I could care less about the type of motorcycle or brand, as long as it gets me to my destination with a smile on my face.

303 carries a bunch usually.

Here is a great read about jeans.

A Kevlar lined denim is stronger than light weight leather and thats most of your off the shelf suits, jackets and pants.
    Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Fri Jul 18th, 2014 at 02:00 PM.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    303 carries a bunch usually.

A Kevlar lined denim is stronger than light weight leather and thats most of your off the shelf suits, jackets and pants.
    303 and the other shops don't carry the ones *I* consider more fashionable, the Rev'it or Dainese lines, I called around to check. I have have no ass, skinny legs and I don't have a large build. So jeans like AStars, Icon and Bilt or S&S look like just tents on me, it's not the look I want.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Carhartts.. their canvas double front work pants are great. I cross shopped them against the so called 15oz denim riding jeans (sans kevlar), and the Carhartts offer similar protection at half the price. They are my go-to pants for cruising and commuting. For anything else it's ballistic nylon with armor or leather. YMMV.

Glad you found some kevlar ones you like.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Can you provide a link to the carhartts you're talking about?

I have leathers for long rides, but back and forth to work I wear jeans, but wouldn't mind more protection.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...harttSearchCmd

I think these might be the ones...
    05 SV 650-New baby
    01 Buell Blast-1st bike

I wear Aerostich Arborwear jeans for most street rides. They are heavy canvas and have pockets for knee pads. $87

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/cl...ants/2814.html
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Oh the riding jeans mythbusters post above are they still telling you to pay $100 for riding jeans even tho they said they will still rip? If anythign they should say not to buy riding jeans and just buy leather. Im confused or I'm reading that wrong.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

If you can between jeans or leather always leather.
    I went down here in Saint about two weeks ago doing a quick run to the store, ended badly. I was wearing riding jeans and they did not tear got a carpet burn on knee. The impact is what I hurt from.

Not saying they are not good, just be prepared for good or bad.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post

Nice read! Thanks EJ

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    Oh the riding jeans mythbusters post above are they still telling you to pay $100 for riding jeans even tho they said they will still rip? If anythign they should say not to buy riding jeans and just buy leather. Im confused or I'm reading that wrong.
    They wrote their conclusion poorly, this is the important part and then I'll break it down:
    "From our testing, we found that an everyday pair of denim pant, when dragged on smooth asphalt at a low speed, won’t rip into shreds immediately but will rip faster than a bong on 420 when met with gravel, rocks or road debris. The Draykos saw similar wear to the Levis in the first drag test but left the rocks in much better shape—where the denim ripped, the underlying protective lining stayed strong. At riding speed, jagged edges rip denim in the blink of an eye but knitted Kevlar and Dyneema fabrics withstand much higher levels of abrasion and don’t tear or blow out as easily."

That first section is refering to basic jeans, Levis, Wranglers, what have you.

The next line about Draykos indicates their liner survived the drag test just fine, the denim outer layer was destroyed but the Kevlar/Dyneema liner survived and did it's job which is to protect your legs.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    They wrote their conclusion poorly, this is the important part and then I'll break it down:
    "From our testing, we found that an everyday pair of denim pant, when dragged on smooth asphalt at a low speed, won’t rip into shreds immediately but will rip faster than a bong on 420 when met with gravel, rocks or road debris. The Draykos saw similar wear to the Levis in the first drag test but left the rocks in much better shape—where the denim ripped, the underlying protective lining stayed strong. At riding speed, jagged edges rip denim in the blink of an eye but knitted Kevlar and Dyneema fabrics withstand much higher levels of abrasion and don’t tear or blow out as easily."

That first section is refering to basic jeans, Levis, Wranglers, what have you.

The next line about Draykos indicates their liner survived the drag test just fine, the denim outer layer was destroyed but the Kevlar/Dyneema liner survived and did it's job which is to protect your legs.

Thats what I was figuring I just thought it was worded poorly, I'll be the grammar Nazi for this. Sounds like they say you already have BASIC jeans in your closet, and that riding jeans are $100 more and worth it to protect from rash, then they stated before that normal jeans held up in one situation and that riding jeans did as well. Moreso that on smooth pavement jeans will be fine but once in rocks thats when they tear, the Draykos held up in the gravel up to 35-45mph.

I may have to youtube a video of these, I think its interesting to see how some tear and some don't. That article EJ posted (very good read btw) mentioned the "drag behind the truck" test. I'd like to see what that looks like.

Ive been wanting jeans for a while, I came close to buying the BILT Iron Workers jeans from Cycle Gear that someone posted earlier. They had them on special for $59 but now are up to $79. I went to a cycle gear in Austin during the MotoGP and tried them on and they fit way too tight, not even able to move comfortably at all so I didn't get them and they only had what was in stock on the floor nothing in the back. I did not want to risk ordering the next size and pay shipping to be disappointed. But motorcyclegear.com has some AGV sport Kevlar jeans on clearance for $84 tho same thing it seems better to at least try on in person first. I'd still like to get some as they appear to be better than my basic Target thin ass jeans, perhaps not by a whole ton per the tear article but still a little bit better could mean the difference.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Basic jeans over Bohn body armor is a very good compromise.

https://www.bohnarmor.com/
    John
    KTM Duke 690