Thread: Need route help - Yellowstone and Black Hills - 4 day trip, 2 up.

Need route help - Yellowstone and Black Hills - 4 day trip, 2 up.

Planning a 4 day 2 up trip with my wife in celebration of our 10th wedding anniverary.

Leaving Saturday August 16th and returning Tuesday August 19th.

We're leaving from and returning to Colorado Springs, CO.

We're heading to Yellowstone and Black Hills.

I've never been at these two places so I thought I would share my planned route and get some feedback.

Current route.

Goals: Twisty sweeper roads, avoid the interstate and float/straight roads as much as possible. Trying to limit myself to 500 miles per day so the day isn't rushed and all about eating up the miles. Would like to take lots of pictures.

Bike is a Gen II FJR.

I can hit Yellowstone OR Black Hills first. Would hitting one over the other first make any difference?

Thanks!

Clovis
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Re: Need route help - Yellowstone and Black Hills - 4 day trip, 2 up.

Are you planning on seeing anything at either destination? Because honestly 6 days isn't really enough even for Yellowstone even at "a Clovis pace" Traveling through Yellowstone with traffic will take most of a day.

Sturgis has been happening in the Black Hills so I'd start with Yellowstone and hit them second.

If you want good roads, drop down through the Big Horns and avoid I90 all you can.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    Are you planning on seeing anything at either destination? Because honestly 6 days isn't really enough even for Yellowstone even at "a Clovis pace" Traveling through Yellowstone with traffic will take most of a day.

Sturgis has been happening in the Black Hills so I'd start with Yellowstone and hit them second.

If you want good roads, drop down through the Big Horns and avoid I90 all you can.
    Plus 1 on the time. We did a 4 day trip from Denver and it didn't leave much time for anything in Yellowstone except for a quick riding tour.

+2 on the time, that is a lot of riding for 4 days. I plan on a 4 day trip a little later just doing Yellowstone. 1 day to get there, 2 days in the area and a day to get back. On your way out be sure to plan lunch at the Shooter's Grill in Rifle, and on the return trip once you get to Wheatland I would cut west on WY34 to US287 and then south through Laramie, Ft Collins and Loveland rather than I25

Also, did you mean to put your home address in the map?

You definitely have to ride "Needles Highway". Great scenery and great twistys.

Just Google it and plan for a great ride.

Needles Hwy and Stone Mtn Rd (16A) makes a nice loop. 16A is interesting in that it has a couple of pigtail bridges (road that loops back under itself) and a nice tunnel that frames Rushmore when going south to north.

Any way to add in Beartooth Hwy (212 to Red Lodge?) I hear it's a must ride.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    +2 on the time, that is a lot of riding for 4 days. I plan on a 4 day trip a little later just doing Yellowstone. 1 day to get there, 2 days in the area and a day to get back. On your way out be sure to plan lunch at the Shooter's Grill in Rifle, and on the return trip once you get to Wheatland I would cut west on WY34 to US287 and then south through Laramie, Ft Collins and Loveland rather than I25
    If you go this route be careful in Sybille Canyon, it's full of stupid deer and very large elk who like to cross at the worst possible times.

If anything comes up, I have family all over Wyoming that could lend a hand.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    If you go this route be careful in Sybille Canyon, it's full of stupid deer and very large elk who like to cross at the worst possible times.

If anything comes up, I have family all over Wyoming that could lend a hand.
    Thank you for the warning but I was just suggesting that to Clovis rather than I25 from Wheatland to Longmont. I have ridden the route and guess I was lucky in not encountering the wildlife you refer to. Myself I am going to be going through Poudre canyon to Walden then north through Rawlins, Lander, and ending up in Dubois. Coming back I will be using the same route through Rock Springs and Vernal that Clovis is using just heading the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Thank you for the warning but I was just suggesting that to Clovis rather than I25 from Wheatland to Longmont. I have ridden the route and guess I was lucky in not encountering the wildlife you refer to. Myself I am going to be going through Poudre canyon to Walden then north through Rawlins, Lander, and ending up in Dubois. Coming back I will be using the same route through Rock Springs and Vernal that Clovis is using just heading the other way.
    I understood, I was just posting this as a general warning for anyone taking this route in the future, specifically Clovis if he opted for it.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

In Yellowstone now... elk and bison causing mile long traffic jams. Part of summer tourist season. Also road construction between Madison junction on the northwest side and the north entrance; gravel, one lane alternating traffic and up to 30min waits.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I was wondering how it would be in yellowstone - traffic wise.

From what I'm hearing here and the sport touring.net forum is 4 days isn't enough time to do both. I'm thinking keeping it to the black hills over 3 days.

On another note... wish we had 5 days! Maybe someone will want to run this with me? Did you know that Idaho has some badass motorcycle roads?? You probably did... but I had no idea until I started plotting west and came up with this rough version.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=133+S+Favorite+St,+Colorado+Springs,+CO &daddr=Deckers,+CO+to:Evergreen,+CO+to:Winter+Park ,+CO+to:Steamboat+Springs,+CO+to:Vernal,+UT+to:Gre en+River,+WY+to:Pocatello,+ID+to:44.2678175,-114.3255875+to:43.8038595,-115.8726277+to:Boise,+ID+to:Grangeville,+ID+to:45. 5756236,-113.9581912+to:idaho+falls,+id+to:Rock+Springs,+WY +to:Vernal,+UT+to:Steamboat+Springs,+CO+to:Winter+ Park,+CO+to:Evergreen,+CO+toeckers,+CO+to:133+S+Favorite+St,+Colorado+Springs, +CO&hl=en&sll=42.80536,-110.606962&sspn=11.055117,15.073242&geocode=FSSDUA Id-xXA-Sn7jkry0VoThzGvRwvXuskhYw%3BFe78VgIdKly6-SnrNA3rLkNrhzHgQczcaJXAiQ%3BFanBXAIdofy4-SmhzDKxMXVrhzFYZYmi5ZW3gw%3BFcayYAIdCi-y-Skx4jrStcprhzHGtEoCytgHeg%3BFXHAaQIdnOCh-SlhRlYJgXtChzF9z25I0aOoGw%3BFVxNaQIdVLl4-SmLj8GjR2JFhzHcJMG7bwCkog%3BFQCteQIdeq15-SlHjCnh4X1ahzH4TPTd16zL2A%3BFQcqjgIdojdM-SkNm9DVIE9VUzGwOc6EJGoMBw%3BFSl5owIdrYcv-SnV8_NwMjGoVDGER6FjZ6qCMQ%3BFdNknAIdjewX-SmHRpOQnCCvVDFuDxQfLSyCmQ%3BFZaRmQIdsbQS-SmdtEfpcvGuVDGbnWc2m5hbmg%3BFZjIvAIdAx0U-SmNRlpLeMGgVDE8yRFG_FS1wQ%3BFcdttwId0SI1-SmZFtmQ3AVZUzEjSMa40q4b9g%3BFUOhlwIdVH9S-Sm1EpVzTllUUzHJSUwJ_MkRIw%3BFQiTegIdKLJ9-SkZi8L16FhahzFwNzAngf4lBw%3BFVxNaQIdVLl4-SmLj8GjR2JFhzHcJMG7bwCkog%3BFXHAaQIdnOCh-SlhRlYJgXtChzF9z25I0aOoGw%3BFcayYAIdCi-y-Skx4jrStcprhzHGtEoCytgHeg%3BFanBXAIdofy4-SmhzDKxMXVrhzFYZYmi5ZW3gw%3BFe78VgIdKly6-SnrNA3rLkNrhzHgQczcaJXAiQ%3BFSqDUAIdDBbA-Sn7jkry0VoThzGvRwvXuskhYw&oq=133+s+fav&mra=ls&via= 8,9,12&t=m&z=6]Boise mega loop - 5 days, 2500 miles[/URL]
    Last edited by Clovis; Thu Aug 7th, 2014 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    I was wondering how it would be in yellowstone - traffic wise. ...
    There seems to be a morning and afternoon rush hour, as tourists stream into the park after breakfast and out at the end of the day. Being school vacation time, expect heavy traffic near any geothermal attraction and of course random stops whenever wildlife is seen. Oh look... squirrel .. I kid you not. That said, I encountered sparse traffic after 4pm as most families head home for dinner in town. Of course that's when bison and deer and bears come out too. Early morning ie enter by 8am also beats the rush but again.. wildlife.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

I think you should hit 125 through Granby. Then Roll through Laramie. When I see straight I'll come up with a better suggestion.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...A.kYZHRU-sbgUI

How about this?

Similar, but a few changes.
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Sat Aug 9th, 2014 at 12:56 AM.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Update: The number of days keeps getting reduced. Understandable though, my wife can't be away from our 6 month old for that long.

So the new plan is we'll take your route to Hot Springs, SD and use that as our base of operations.

I booked us a nice hotel in Hot Springs so the idea is we'll ride there on Saturday, arrive Saturday evening. In the morning we can check out Custer, Mt Rushmore, Black Hills, ect. Basically spend the day riding and site seeing.

Then return to the hotel Sunday night and leaving Monday morning for home using the same route.

http://goo.gl/maps/8tJN5

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...A.kYZHRU-sbgUI

How about this?

Similar, but a few changes.

Here's what I'm thinking for the route getting there and one we're there.

http://goo.gl/maps/OsRaF

From Hot Springs, take the fun way to Mount Rushmore, then head north to Deadwood and Spearfish, then circle south west back to Hot Springs for the night.

Besides from the obvious Rushmore and Crazy Horse - any "Must see" sights in this area?

Wind Caves- I'd do it early in the morning before crowds. Requires get a ticket for a walking tour in the caves.
    Sturgis-nothing special but might be cool just to say you've been there. The motorcycle museum is awesome.
    Bear Country USA/ Bear park is fun but they may not let you do it on the bike. A bear may want to check you out up close

Some good info. We are heading to the Black Hills/Deadwood this labor day weekend.
    Mike
    USAF
    '10 Kawasaki Z1000

I could care less about the type of motorcycle or brand, as long as it gets me to my destination with a smile on my face.

How was the trip? I am heading west from Detroit next weekend, plan or riding through Buffalo gap, Black Hills, Bighorn, Yellowstone, etc. I will check out the couple roads mentioned

The trip was a lot of fun, I've been meaning to post up a ride report but haven't had the time.

There's so much to see and ride in the Black Hills, I really wish we had more time.

The 4 day trip ended up being a 3 day trip... I really want to go back. The roads are oh so nice and all perfectly maintained, no pot holes!