Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need advice..

Re: I need advice..

Have someone kick you in the dick when you do stupid shit. You'll either get tough or stop being dumb.
    Or, sell it all and get a bus pass and save the rest of us from yourself. I'm almost 40. I speed, pass on the double yellow, occasionally do really dumb shit. I try and minimize my exposure to the negative consequences of my dumbassery.
    I can be dumb on the kids pw50....especially with a couple beers. Blah. Fucking kids.

Save your dumbassery for appropriate moments. No harm in feeling a bit hooligan at times. Hell I'm nearly retired and I'll hoon it up on occasion. The secret to a long riding career is knowing when to restrain yourself and when not. If you're easily goaded into races, or risky passes etc, you're better off selling or downsizing. But you can still as easily get reckless on a little bike as a bigger one. A 250 will still lane split, pass cars, or let you be an idiot.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. You're young, you're invincible. We're all that way ... once. Get a smaller bike to learn how to ride, but it won't curb your attitude, that has to come from you. Get the mental game figured out first, learn to tell the difference between playing roulette in traffic or having a bit of speed out in the middle of nowhere. Like others have said, IMI is cheap for some track time, ask a CSC'er to show you the ropes.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    I mean if I get a scooter, the highway wont really be the place for me anyway. So a DRZ would be nice but I'd think I'd try to pop wheelies too much.. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I need to limit the bike because it's incredibly hard for me to limit myself. Yes it's a choice but I just want to have fun, it's my daily goal and is what keeps me happy.

I'll have to take you up on that offer sometime Spooph! It's really good to get your hands on a bike and ride around to see if you like it or not!

I don't think you understand, I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I really dont have any money to give people christmas gifts.. I can not afford the track.
    I don't think you understand or grasp the gravity of your own situation. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, then you cannot afford a ticket or worse(i.e. loss of license). In your present state, the track is the best and only place for you to go and get your speed on.

I guess I'm really not seeing the plight of your situation. You're young, you're in college, you don't have a meaningful career yet, you have a bike that is way to fast for you and you have the self control of Charlie Sheen with cocaine on the table to go with the hooker on the couch. You just can't resist going fast, which I can't seem to fathom given that you've already been award a performance award from your local LEO.

At this point you'd think it would have set in that you need to slow down and take your addiction to a controlled environment. Buying a smaller bike is not going to make you slow down, growing a brain will. You need to check your ego at the door and realize that the streets are no place for that kind of riding. Just take it to the track man, IMI is dirt cheap and it's only $40. Take $5 a week now and start saving up. In just 8 weeks time you'll have your first track day entrance fee.

All I hear from people is how expensive the track is. Yet I don't think you're taking into account just how much a "bad" a bad ticket can be. Not only for you in the here and now, but how it will affect you in the future. You could go out and get a real nice fat ticket that ends up in you not only getting broke off monetarily but your bike gets impounded. Then you go to court where the judge makes an example out of you and revokes your drivers license for a year or two. So there you go, you're out a bunch of money, you've got no bike to ride and even if you had one, the judge broke you off for the next two years with no driving privileges.

What does that cost mean to you?? If it doesn't mean anything to you, then keep riding fast on the streets and see where that gets you. If like most of us, your license means more to you than many other things, you'll learn to slow down and enjoy the ride in the city and the mountains. Then save pushing the limits for the track.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

If you can't find a CSCer just go out there and the guys running the go carts and track are pretty friendly. Watching is free.

Gold Member

I mean if I get a scooter, the highway wont really be the place for me anyway. So a DRZ would be nice but I'd think I'd try to pop wheelies too much.. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I need to limit the bike because it's incredibly hard for me to limit myself. Yes it's a choice but I just want to have fun, it's my daily goal and is what keeps me happy.

I'll have to take you up on that offer sometime Spooph! It's really good to get your hands on a bike and ride around to see if you like it or not!

I don't think you understand, I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I really dont have any money to give people christmas gifts.. I can not afford the track.

You know with your vision of yourself here maybe its time to think bikes are not for you.

To be really honest with you man you can make decisions that will get you hurt of even worse. If you can't be honest with yourself and tone things back maybe its time to hang the keys up.

I'm not trying to be a dick but I lost a friend in a accident and he was only doing 40. You don't have to be doing triple digits to get killed.

We all make bad choices. We have to live with the consequences of those decisions. I've had a 1000 dollar ticket on my bike. Triple digit wheelie. Dumbest thing I ever did was lane split on one wheel. That was a real smart choice. Lol.

But man after I had these things happen I made choices in my head to better those things. At the end of the day no one can tell me how to ride. Its just up to me.

Stay safe man.

My last ticket was on a 120hp SV1000S, a quick bike no doubt, probably about on par with your 750. 85 in a 45 after a quick short blast through 2nd gear and that's all it took. $400 in fines, $750 for the attorney, and I still got 6 points. Let me tell you how that sat with my insurance company.

Promptly went out and bought a 193hp rocket ship, and haven't even been pulled over on it. I started riding on the track, and now the street is just terrifying. I still do it, a lot, but I never ride fast. That one speeding ticket has costed me more than all of my track days combined. The track is cheaper, more fun, safer, and you'll learn more than you ever will on the street.

I look forward to your next round of excuses. I know, I made the same ones for years.

Or just get a radar detector... me and some friends I ride with have an awesome (but somewhat expensive) setup for ours bikes. Having a detector on the bike for the last 3 seasons has dramatically cut down on the number of tickets I get.

It's easy to get in over your head on these machines, we've all done it. Realize there is a time and a place for canyon carving or riding at a 'spirited pace' but around town isn't is. Ask those who have ridden with me, especially on multi-day trips. I'll move with a great speed in the canyons and mountain roads but I cruise around the speed limit when strolling through the towns.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Chocolate Thunder

I think this explains....take the advice from all above.
    According to brain experts from Children's Hospital Boston, teen brains are only around 80 percent developed. New research shows that the*human brain*may not reach its full development until a person's twenties or possibly even the thirties [Source:*Graham]. The*frontal lobe*is one of the four major divisions of the cerebral cortex. This part of the*brain*regulates decision making, problem solving,*control*of purposeful behaviors, consciousness, and emotions. The primary motor cortex is part of the*frontal lobe*and is responsible for regulating voluntary movements.

It's all about self control, if you can't do it then you don't belong near a bike dude sorry to say. With motorcycles responsibility plays a huge part and yes all of us have done dumb riding at some point or the other and if you haven't ate shit hard yet then don't wait till that happens to chill back. The choice it's easy or either go nuts at the track (even IMI for only $40 a full day), chill on the roads and enjoy the ride or just stop riding all together. I drive pretty spirited as well but there's just times and places for things man.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Pho3niX, have you thought about that other side to this. Meaning not just the tickets but the worst things that can happen! Getting a ticket can be one of the less severve things that can happen to you. You easily could cause a accident and hurt yourself and someone else! Would you be ok with knwoing you killed someone from riding irresponsible? Could you deal with being in a wheelchair the rest of your life and the burden that would put on your family. Riding a motorcycle is a privledge and should be treated with mad respect as it is highly dangerous! This ain't no game man and we get one life and you may want to rethink how fast that can change froma few bad judegement calls. Sorry I don't find the excuse of " I need to ride fast" ok because I am sure 90% of the people on this borad would love to ride as fast as we want, but we decide to follow the rules instead. Anyways I know seeing some of the wrecks, and deaths from motorcycles really put it in check for me, so maybe consider this sprectrum instead of the tickets because that is the softer side of this!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Or just get a radar detector... me and some friends I ride with have an awesome (but somewhat expensive) setup for ours bikes. Having a detector on the bike for the last 3 seasons has dramatically cut down on the number of tickets I get.
    A radar detector might help avoid a few tickets, but it's not going to prevent bad decisions from being made. In fact, a radar detector will compound the risk-taking behavior through a false sense of security. In this case he needs to slow down, assess the situation, and correct the bad habits he's learned on the street before adding fuel to an already dangerous fire. A radar detector won't keep him from crashing. Something you know all too well, Clovis. :P
    Last edited by Drano; Mon Dec 15th, 2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    A radar detector might help avoid a few tickets, but it's not going to prevent bad decisions from being made. In fact, a radar detector will compound the risk-taking behavior through a false sense of security. In this case he needs to slow down, assess the situation, and correct the bad habits he's learned on the street before adding fuel to an already dangerous fire. A radar detector won't keep him from crashing. Something you know all too well, Clovis. :P
    I also found out that as soon as a cop sees you have one they pretty much assume you speed and may stick it to you. I actually had a cop tell me "if you don't speed why do you have a radar detectors". Kind of hard to argue that point unless you think they are idiots and will believe a stupid excuse.

No way to beat laser either...how I got caught! Radar went off, but was too late with laser they used!

Quote Originally Posted by Drama2 View Post
    I think this explains....take the advice from all above.
    According to brain experts from Children's Hospital Boston, teen brains are only around 80 percent developed. New research shows that the*human brain*may not reach its full development until a person's twenties or possibly even the thirties [Source:*Graham]. The*frontal lobe*is one of the four major divisions of the cerebral cortex. This part of the*brain*regulates decision making, problem solving,*control*of purposeful behaviors, consciousness, and emotions. The primary motor cortex is part of the*frontal lobe*and is responsible for regulating voluntary movements.
    +1 You nailed it, Drama2. Perhaps that's where the "older and wiser" saying comes from. The teen brain doesn't even have the self awareness to consider long term consequences of their actions, so immediate gratification is even more in control.

How often have you asked an adolescent "why did you do this?" and they shrug and mumble "I dunno", or "it seemed like a good idea at the time"

Kudos to the OP however, the process of just asking the question is the beginning of knowing one's limits.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Have you thought about kids? lol...I've never been super crazy, but I've taken chances that I shouldn't have. I will say that having a daughter really has changed the way I look at things on my bike. I'm a lot more reserved, but when it's safe I will open it up a bit more.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbie303 View Post
    Have you thought about kids? lol...I've never been super crazy, but I've taken chances that I shouldn't have. I will say that having a daughter really has changed the way I look at things on my bike. I'm a lot more reserved, but when it's safe I will open it up a bit more.
    +1 -- my daughter was born this year and I found myself riding at a more relaxed pace compared to previous years... or I've just gotten better so I don't feel like I'm pushing myself as much.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

I look forward to your next round of excuses. I know, I made the same ones for years.
    Nah, you just got smart and joined the right side... :P

@Ph03niX (does this board even have that feature?!) - lots of wise old men talking here... Let me be a stupid young guy with an under developed brain with you... PM me, let's go for a ride, trade bikes, blah, blah and see if we can't come up with something... I'm still young enough to know what it was like...

sheesh, so much judgement! OK OK, we'll get of yar lawn, don't get your Depends in a twist...
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbie303 View Post
    RIGHT!? I'm not a kid person, but now that I have a house and all that and nothing but money to do stupid stuff with, sometimes I think I should have kids in the own interest of saving my life--definitely not going to just quit cold turkey

and to the guy who mentioned letting Pho3nix ride his DRZ in exchange for his GSXR, is the offer on the table for anyone? I have an 06 750 and my girl could use a DRZ to try out to help her figure out what kind of bike she wants, she's 5'1 so gotta find the right size bike and I think DRZ may be one to fit the bill?

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    ...and to the guy who mentioned letting Pho3nix ride his DRZ in exchange for his GSXR, is the offer on the table for anyone? I have an 06 750 and my girl could use a DRZ to try out to help her figure out what kind of bike she wants, she's 5'1 so gotta find the right size bike and I think DRZ may be one to fit the bill?
    If you want you can give mine a try. PM me. 5'-1" is a little short for a DRZ without lowering links though.

Wow I love hearing everyone's opinion. Thanks for that!

First of all, I'm not some crazy squid riding around like a maniac. Normally I just cruise to the speed limit or accelerate quickly to the limit. However, I will change lanes pretty closely to other vehicles and accelerate hard to get out of traffic. That's what I'm worried about, that one instant burst where I just got tagged and pulled over. My license means almost everything to me and I don't want to lose it. Hence why I made this thread. I wear ATGATT and I always pay attention to my surroundings. I look through the vehicle's windows ahead of me to see what traffic is doing, I watch car's shadows to see what they're doing.

Some of you guys may remember this but I was in an accident on my sv650. I was riding the speed limit (35) as a post office truck in front of me was pulling out of a dirt road on my right. I was literally watching her suspension compress and her tires slow down to make sure she stopped. Unfortunately, she pulled out at the last second and I had no where to go but into a wall of truck in front of me. My rear tire actually made a rainbow tread mark 6ft tall on the side of her truck. I was luckily, scratched a bit, and was even able to ride the bike home. With saying that, I do consider myself a good rider, I just know that one day my luck will run out.

Anyway, I do realize that the way I ride sometimes is meant for the track. And If I had it my way, I'd have something like a grom to put around town on and have the gsxr as a pure track bike. I'm going to ask for a track pass for IMI from my parents for Christmas and go from there. I've road my raptor 660 (since sold) on the dirt tracks and road the go karts there a couple of times, it's a sweet place!

I haven't really thought about kids honestly, there's something else on my mind that I'd rather stay alive to do. Some of you may laugh but I'm still a virgin. Grew up in a religious home and I'm waiting for that girl to come around. Seeing as I'm a man, I really don't want to die without doing that. So there's that and keeping my license, that's wanting to make me downgrade. If I buy a scooter (ruckus), I can mod it to my hearts content, not get in trouble (if it's not fast I wont drive it fast..), and keep myself alive for my future (that sounds harsh haha).

I've been looking for signs on whether to sell it or not, and I got one yesterday. I was cruising 80mph on i25 just moving between traffic when all of a sudden and semi pulled up next to me and honked his horns. I looked at him and he made a gesture with his hand like he was on the phone, and then I saw him mouth "you dropped your phone!" I pulled over immediately and after about 15 minutes of searching the shoulder I realized I was literally listening to music on my phone. And then it hit me, I dropped my conceal carry S&W M&P 40 pistol that wiggled itself out of my inner waste band.. I dropped a gun! Some random guy could find it and use it for the wrong reason.. I found it 4 1/2 hours later but I still felt it was a sign to sell my bike and just be smarter about my life. There's no need to put life on Fast Forward when in traffic, or in general really.
    06 GSXR 750

I can't believe I just read that. I think it's time you sell your bike, and your guns. You're clearly not responsible enough for either one.

My last two tickets (4 yrs. and 3 mo. ago) were both in a cage. Ironically the first was coming home from IMI after a track day.

And yea, there are (stupid) moments in my life that I would never share on the interweb.

Wow I love hearing everyone's opinion. Thanks for that!

First of all, I'm not some crazy squid riding around like a maniac. Normally I just cruise to the speed limit or accelerate quickly to the limit. However, I will change lanes pretty closely to other vehicles and accelerate hard to get out of traffic. That's what I'm worried about, that one instant burst where I just got tagged and pulled over. My license means almost everything to me and I don't want to lose it. Hence why I made this thread. I wear ATGATT and I always pay attention to my surroundings. I look through the vehicle's windows ahead of me to see what traffic is doing, I watch car's shadows to see what they're doing.

Some of you guys may remember this but I was in an accident on my sv650. I was riding the speed limit (35) as a post office truck in front of me was pulling out of a dirt road on my right. I was literally watching her suspension compress and her tires slow down to make sure she stopped. Unfortunately, she pulled out at the last second and I had no where to go but into a wall of truck in front of me. My rear tire actually made a rainbow tread mark 6ft tall on the side of her truck. I was luckily, scratched a bit, and was even able to ride the bike home. With saying that, I do consider myself a good rider, I just know that one day my luck will run out.

Anyway, I do realize that the way I ride sometimes is meant for the track. And If I had it my way, I'd have something like a grom to put around town on and have the gsxr as a pure track bike. I'm going to ask for a track pass for IMI from my parents for Christmas and go from there. I've road my raptor 660 (since sold) on the dirt tracks and road the go karts there a couple of times, it's a sweet place!

I haven't really thought about kids honestly, there's something else on my mind that I'd rather stay alive to do. Some of you may laugh but I'm still a virgin. Grew up in a religious home and I'm waiting for that girl to come around. Seeing as I'm a man, I really don't want to die without doing that. So there's that and keeping my license, that's wanting to make me downgrade. If I buy a scooter (ruckus), I can mod it to my hearts content, not get in trouble (if it's not fast I wont drive it fast..), and keep myself alive for my future (that sounds harsh haha).

I've been looking for signs on whether to sell it or not, and I got one yesterday. I was cruising 80mph on i25 just moving between traffic when all of a sudden and semi pulled up next to me and honked his horns. I looked at him and he made a gesture with his hand like he was on the phone, and then I saw him mouth "you dropped your phone!" I pulled over immediately and after about 15 minutes of searching the shoulder I realized I was literally listening to music on my phone. And then it hit me, I dropped my conceal carry S&W M&P 40 pistol that wiggled itself out of my inner waste band.. I dropped a gun! Some random guy could find it and use it for the wrong reason.. I found it 4 1/2 hours later but I still felt it was a sign to sell my bike and just be smarter about my life. There's no need to put life on Fast Forward when in traffic, or in general really.
    Wow, just wow...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

A gun won't help you when you're getting run over by a truck

Do society a favor and get rid of it

Since my “worse case can happen over tickets” was ignored…..I will hit you where it sounds like you care…your virginity! I have an uncle who got in a car accident at age 25 (DWI). Well since then he has been in a wheelchair the last 26 years (he is now 51). Well guess what stops working when you get paralyzed from waste down….your dick! Poor dude hasn’t been able to get it up since age 25! If that doesn’t scare you to ride safer then not sure what else will. I know seeing what he has gone through has helped me see that other side to life; how fast it can change! Don’t be naïve and think it can’t happen to you.