Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: These Snow Days are the Days I love My Car......

Re: These Snow Days are the Days I love My Car......

I hope you're joking about the license plate.

BTW - my wife busted a light cover near the pedals in the Jeep. They don't sell just the cover; you have to buy the whole light fixture. $38 from the dealer or $25 online. It's probably a $2 piece of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post

Just noticed mine is gone. Dealer wants $18 for a new one, but it will be in black and my car is pearl white. Sad my new car is missing this piece and not sure if someone stole it or it popped of with these storms we have been getting.
    Warranty has covered parts like that for me in the past. Its not like you pulled it off and lost it. IT FELL OFF.

They should get that and take care of you.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    I hope you're joking about the license plate.

BTW - my wife busted a light cover near the pedals in the Jeep. They don't sell just the cover; you have to buy the whole light fixture. $38 from the dealer or $25 online. It's probably a $2 piece of plastic.
    I actually was not kidding since that plastic piece I am missing would totally cover up by the license plate if I moved it there and then I would not have to worry about it getting painted. My co-worker is all into that look, but I am not sure. I assume you think it looks bad....basically opinion I am looking for from people.

Yeah the $18 doesn't bother me, but I bet a paint place is not going to touch this for less than $50; I do have a pearl paint job so that would have to be done as well as a clearcoat. I guess I could just leave it black and say heck with it as doesn't serve anything but looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Warranty has covered parts like that for me in the past. Its not like you pulled it off and lost it. IT FELL OFF.

They should get that and take care of you.
    Thanks EJ, put a call into Groove Subaru and waiting for a call back to see if they will cover that
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Gold Member

Hmmmm... Cover the tow hook with the license plate. Might be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Hmmmm... Cover the tow hook with the license plate. Might be a bad idea.
    Why is that a bad idea? I wish I could find a similar way to mount a front plate on my Range Rover. I've been pulled over twice so far this year for no front plate. The only plate mounts I can find screw into the front bumper.
    Asphalt - Worlds' fastest tattoo remover

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
    Why is that a bad idea? I wish I could find a similar way to mount a front plate on my Range Rover. I've been pulled over twice so far this year for no front plate. The only plate mounts I can find screw into the front bumper.
    Ummmm because its for a tow hook not a license plate holder.

Aaron might be able to help with this but out here if there is no mount for a plate you don't have to have a front plate. Probably not the same but maybe.

During my search I did come across this one that is for a Range Rover; not sure it will work for you but worth checking out. Seems like it still screws in,but underneath at least
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Range-R...25.m3641.l6368

If the dealer hoses you... There is always the option of these or many like it: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ The manufacturer color code helps...

Also, Napa matches/mixes paint. They matched some motorcycle paint for me a while back and it matched perfectly! Ever after it was sun-faded for a couple of decades...

Drive with it black until it's warm enough to paint, then paint it yourself... This might be July at our current rate, but should only cost $20 in paint. AND, then you have touch paint for the future... Just a thought.
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Why is it such a problem for people to run both plates?? Not that anyone here has said it. But I hear it all the time from people that are so offended by having to run two license plates. It's what our state requires just do it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Aaron might be able to help with this but out here if there is no mount for a plate you don't have to have a front plate. Probably not the same but maybe.
    Unfortunately, front plate is required in CO. Doesn't matter whether your car has a mount or not.
    I'm not a fan of the side mounted front plate in the pic. Looks goofy IMO. I also don't like the idea of covering the tow hook with something.
    That cover likely fell off from hitting snow. My Ram has plastic baffles in the holes in the front bumper where factory fog lights go. I've lost 2 of them when hitting deep snow. Now I have jack chain attached to the backside of the baffles and bolted it to the truck behind the bumper so if they get knocked out, they'll at least hang there and not get lost.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post
    If the dealer hoses you... There is always the option of these or many like it: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ The manufacturer color code helps...

Also, Napa matches/mixes paint. They matched some motorcycle paint for me a while back and it matched perfectly! Ever after it was sun-faded for a couple of decades...

Drive with it black until it's warm enough to paint, then paint it yourself... This might be July at our current rate, but should only cost $20 in paint. AND, then you have touch paint for the future... Just a thought.
    Thanks man....that is a good idea and with the piece being so low it doesn't have to be perfect as most people would never notice. I am just worried since it is a pearl, but that website states a basecoat and midcoat will be shipped with paint so I hope that means the pearl. I did order touch up paint and it was a white and then a separate pearl.

So far Subaru has not called me back so figure I'll stop by after work in person. Some people say no way is this covered under warranty and others say it is. Figured worth a shot to try and worse they can say is no and I get the $18 black one they are holding for me.

Quote Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
    Unfortunately, front plate is required in CO. Doesn't matter whether your car has a mount or not.
    I'm not a fan of the side mounted front plate in the pic. Looks goofy IMO. I also don't like the idea of covering the tow hook with something.
    That cover likely fell off from hitting snow. My Ram has plastic baffles in the holes in the front bumper where factory fog lights go. I've lost 2 of them when hitting deep snow. Now I have jack chain attached to the backside of the baffles and bolted it to the truck behind the bumper so if they get knocked out, they'll at least hang there and not get lost.
    Good idea. Now that I know this is a problem I am going to have to do something like that to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I still don't understand the problem. That bracket screws into the tow hook mount. So if you need a tow, just unscrew the plate bracket and screw in the tow hook.

During my search I did come across this one that is for a Range Rover; not sure it will work for you but worth checking out. Seems like it still screws in,but underneath at least
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Range-R...25.m3641.l6368
    This is exactly what I want, but doesn't work with my model year. The search continues...
    Asphalt - Worlds' fastest tattoo remover

I actually was not kidding since that plastic piece I am missing would totally cover up by the license plate if I moved it there and then I would not have to worry about it getting painted. My co-worker is all into that look, but I am not sure. I assume you think it looks bad....basically opinion I am looking for from people.

Yeah the $18 doesn't bother me, but I bet a paint place is not going to touch this for less than $50; I do have a pearl paint job so that would have to be done as well as a clearcoat. I guess I could just leave it black and say heck with it as doesn't serve anything but looks.

Thanks EJ, put a call into Groove Subaru and waiting for a call back to see if they will cover that
    Sorry, I just don't care for the look. What will you put on the other side when that one falls out? A plate that says "Do you lift, bro?"

I think you should get the replacement part and have it painted in the near future. One thing you could try is finding out what paint shop the Subaru dealers use. It's possible that they may be spraying a car the same color as yours, and they could spray your part for next to nothing. Maybe even through the shop a $20.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Sorry, I just don't care for the look. What will you put on the other side when that one falls out? A plate that says "Do you lift, bro?"

I think you should get the replacement part and have it painted in the near future. One thing you could try is finding out what paint shop the Subaru dealers use. It's possible that they may be spraying a car the same color as yours, and they could spray your part for next to nothing. Maybe even through the shop a $20.
    That piece only comes off on one side, so it will never be a issue on other side.

I am with you man and prefer the centered look, but just trying to think of other options that won't have me spending hundreds. One thing I do like is I should get better airflow to the intercooler which is right there. Not sure if it will make that much a difference though.

I can ask my dealer about who they use to paint. $50 I would be cool with, but i always end up getting screwed and get quoted way more than I expected when it comes to paint.....then the pearl makes me think they will even raise it more.

I know only a cosmetic look, but damn does it bug me now.

I still don't understand the problem. That bracket screws into the tow hook mount. So if you need a tow, just unscrew the plate bracket and screw in the tow hook.

This is exactly what I want, but doesn't work with my model year. The search continues...
    Yeah figures it would just unscrew if it came down to needing it for a tow.

Darn I was hoping that would work or you could at least modify it to work. I bet if you have a place to mount it to underneath that it should work pretty universal. I hear you though and would be nicer to get one made for it. I've seen a few that could maybe me modified to work. Here is another one http://www.ebay.com/itm/STO-N-SHO-05...6b12b4&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Mar 3rd, 2015 at 01:56 PM.

Yeah this thread was never meant to say one car was better than the other at all....I like BMW's, Audi's, Evo's, Acura's etc......if anything you guys can share why you love your car so much too Just my first AWD...
    This was my favorite snow car of all time...1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo. 5-spd man, AWD, no traction control....drop the clutch and the whole car drifts sideways as you leave everyone in the snowy dust!
    Last edited by DriverDave; Tue Mar 3rd, 2015 at 04:37 PM.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

As for Subaru, this was my personal favorite...The SVX...made from 1992 to 1997. Mine was a 1994.

--Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDave View Post
    This was my favorite snow car of all time...1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo. 5-spd man, AWD, no traction control....drop the clutch and the whole car drifts sideways as you leave everyone in the snowy dust!

Le drool....

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDave View Post
    As for Subaru, this was my personal favorite...The SVX...made from 1992 to 1997. Mine was a 1994.

Also le drool... I've never gotten this confirmed. Did they come in auto only?
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Yes, auto only. Although many guys on the forums did swap in WRX 5 speeds and a few even threw in an STI 6 speed.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Drool #2. I would love to find an unmolested Alltrac turbo, or even a 323 GTX. Cheap fun in the snow pretending to be a rally ace.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Right? I mean it doesn't happen all that much but man if you have to get through a foot of snow a Subaru just ain't going to cut it.

Also you can't haul a bike with a Subaru. You can't haul lumber with a Subaru. Actually besides just drive you can't really so much with it.

Guess that's why for a car I have something much more comfortable to driver. And for everything else I have a truck.
    If I can haul this with my little acura, I'd think a subaru would be able to handle much more.. Just saying

Also, I havent had a front license plate for 6 years. Been pulled over twice for that..
    06 GSXR 750

Had my Lesbomobile (Forester) since the end of '12, and never been pulled over for lack of a front plate. I have it in the car, but I just don't want to put it on.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

What's the deal with Audi switching to predominantly superchargers these days it seems? Unfortunate for us because IIRC the turbo is better for elevation. Wish I could get a newer turbo Audi with a 6 speed manual, but they're mostly all supercharged these days and starting to make the switch to the dark side like the A6 which I believe only comes in auto

The new STI's are pretty sexy I think (especially in blue), but I've yet to meet a girl who doesn't think the car is completely stupid (because of the name...).
    Last edited by GMR; Tue Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:53 PM.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

I have the new A3 with S-tronic. I'll never go back to manual again. I really enjoy it over both traditional manual and the much slower tiptronic (or any other single clutch application)

Oh and Pirelli Sottozero 3's murder snow

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    What's the deal with Audi switching to predominantly superchargers these days it seems? Unfortunate for us because IIRC the turbo is better for elevation. Wish I could get a newer turbo Audi with a 6 speed manual, but they're mostly all supercharged these days and starting to make the switch to the dark side like the A6 which I believe only comes in auto
    Audi has lost their way!

Manual, turbo with that great blowoff valve whistle, lockable front and rear diffs, 800+Hp (in this model anyway).
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...