Thread: Thinking about full-timing in a motorhome for a year or two

Thinking about full-timing in a motorhome for a year or two

We don't have any kids, my wife has some health issues that are exacerbated by altitude, and I'm tired of living the same day, every day.

My wife and I are considering selling our home in Aurora, paring down our life and going in a motorhome for a year or two. My thought is to sell our house here but keep my townhome in the Springs so we have a place to come back to whenever we want. I work full time as a teleworker and need to pitch this to my employer. I don't think it will be an issue as long as I can be someplace every M-F with a good internet connection. So, we'd travel on weekends, setup someplace for at least a week, maybe longer, and then move someplace else.

I'm thinking that if we make the right choices regarding motorhomes (not new, reliable platform, relatively basic), we can live on my income and my wife can takes some time off. If we're going to be someplace for a month or so, she might get a job in a store as a checker or something. Maybe she can start blogging and earn a little. I don't know but others are doing it. We might even be able to rent my townhome in the Springs as a fully furnished place for short durations. It has been a rental property for 9 years now so that wouldn't be anything too new. The newest part would be letting a rental agency handle it.

Has anyone here done this? I'm researching the hell out of it but any input is appreciated.

Re: Thinking about full-timing in a motorhome for a year or two

Nothing to add except that the idea sounds like the adventure of a lifetime.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Talk to Jeff and Anne (asp125)

They did this for at least a year.

Gold Member

Its a different world living on the open road. Doing it in the winter sucks because of storms but summer the price of fuel is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Talk to Jeff and Anne (asp125)

They did this for at least a year.
    Yup, even though I had to quit a job I loved, I have no regrets. We sold the house, the cars, a few bikes, and hit the road for what ended up to be 14mo. Saw some great places, rode many great roads.

Lots of details and what not that I'd be glad to fill you in on. Both the good and the dark side. You have to mentally pull the trigger and decide to live in 400 square feet. Once you do, it's amazing how much of your material possessions are simply not worth keeping.

For a job, if you can telecommute, have decent internet, it's doable. A good resource is http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/ - we got some good ideas and subsequent links to tips and tricks along the way.
    Last edited by asp_125; Sun Aug 16th, 2015 at 10:07 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

We've been thinking about this for a while, too. Sell the house or rent it out, load up the bikes and hit the road. As long as I have a computer I can do my job. Definitely getting sick of the same day every day!!!

Kim's brother lives on a sail boat and just cruises around the planet. When he pulls into a port, there's a certain channel that you can announce services on. He's certified in marine electronics and diesel. He can make $3,000 - $5,000 in a weekend in the marina. Now, that's how ya do it!!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Yup, even though I had to quit a job I loved, I have no regrets. We sold the house, the cars, a few bikes, and hit the road for what ended up to be 14mo. Saw some great places, rode many great roads.

Lots of details and what not that I'd be glad to fill you in on. Both the good and the dark side. You have to mentally pull the trigger and decide to live in 400 square feet. Once you do, it's amazing how much of your material possessions are simply not worth keeping.

For a job, if you can telecommute, have decent internet, it's doable. A good resource is http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/ - we got some good ideas and subsequent links to tips and tricks along the way.
    Thanks for the input. I'd like to pick your brain some once I know if it's feasible or not. I can't/won't quit my job to do this, so that is the first major hurdle. I'll reach out to you once I know there is a chance of this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    We've been thinking about this for a while, too. Sell the house or rent it out, load up the bikes and hit the road. As long as I have a computer I can do my job. Definitely getting sick of the same day every day!!!

Kim's brother lives on a sail boat and just cruises around the planet. When he pulls into a port, there's a certain channel that you can announce services on. He's certified in marine electronics and diesel. He can make $3,000 - $5,000 in a weekend in the marina. Now, that's how ya do it!!!
    I've got some friends in Maine that are basically retired very early and doing this. He bought and rebuilt a 35' sail boat and they are sailing between Maine and southern Florida. I envy them for it but also know that they have worked long and hard to get to where they are. I could have just as well but have always been a bit short-sighted that way and have made a few bad decisions along the way. Jim always played the long game and would rather buy a 2 liter of coke and drink a single serving that spend twice as much on a smaller bottle.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

This sounds awesome. If you end up pulling the trigger on it, I can't wait to read your updates!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    I've got some friends in Maine that are basically retired very early and doing this. He bought and rebuilt a 35' sail boat and they are sailing between Maine and southern Florida.
    They should do the "Great Loop". Inland waterway the whole route. Definitely on my bucket list. Just gotta win Powerball to make it happen!

Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

I got the initial OK from my HR department today It hasn't been done before at my company, but as long as I can be reached when needed and can perform my duties, HR is OK with it.

I'm now waiting on an email from my realtor to see what our house value is. That's the next hurdle.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Very cool on the HR update. I have thought about this type of adventure in the past but know it won't happen. Start a blog so the rest of us can live vicariously.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Very cool... good luck!

I don't miss owning real estate. I'm working on minimizing the rest of my stuff so I can be pretty much mobile (at least easily storable) within a year. So when the time comes, I can break out of SC and go wherever else I can. There are some good things about working for a global company... Next stop, who knows!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I told my wife about my plan last Friday. I was about 3 sentences in when she stopped me and asked how soon we can do this. I said that a few things had to happen first: sell the house, tell my tenant who is month-to-month to get out, etc. She's all in.

We went to Horsetooth Reservoir for the weekend and brought her Mom along. We told her Mom (she's 91) and said she's happy for us and that we should enjoy ourselves while we can. I got an email that weekend from my renter. They gave their 30 day notice and will be out by 9/26. That will work out perfectly, giving me time to get new carpet installed and get the place painted.

We met with a realtor today. He looked at the comps and thinks the house will sell for significantly more that I had anticipated and it could sell quickly. Enough that, if it goes as planned and hits the high end, we'll net enough to almost pay off my town home; we'll be about $6k short. I can figure that part out and make it go bye-bye.

My wife said that we were going to take the money and put it towards an RV. I said we were, but generally people work to pay for their home and their lifestyle. If we have a home that is paid for, we only have to work for our lifestyle and that is a huge difference. She saw the light after that.

My HR rep said she is getting push back from the payroll department because of taxes. I told her that I would remain a resident of CO and would be responsible for filing income taxes in the states that I worked in. I further reminded her that my situation would not be that different than the thousands of people that work in NY but live in NJ or vice versa. NY does not have any tax reciprocity agreements with other states, so anyone that lives/works in that situation has to file two tax returns.

YMMV but we became "residents" of SD when we sold everything and left. There are a few states that let you claim residency without a physical presence (SD, TX, FLA) for tax and insurance and mailing address purposes. Does your company have remote employees in other states? If you can work for your company as a "resident" of ie an income tax free state (ie SD, TX, FLA) that might save you some money and filing a state return.

However if you are keeping a townhouse in CO you might still be deemed a resident of CO and taxed as such.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    YMMV but we became "residents" of SD when we sold everything and left. There are a few states that let you claim residency without a physical presence (SD, TX, FLA) for tax and insurance and mailing address purposes. Does your company have remote employees in other states? If you can work for your company as a "resident" of ie an income tax free state (ie SD, TX, FLA) that might save you some money and filing a state return.

However if you are keeping a townhouse in CO you might still be deemed a resident of CO and taxed as such.
    Thanks. Yes, my company has remote workers all over the country as well as offices in most states. I really don't think HR can say no given how mobile our workforce is. If they do, I'll push back.

We'll keep our CO address for now. We may sell the town home in 2 years, once we meet the 2 year primary residence requirement.

Sounds like a good idea to me, watch a few episodes of Tiny House Nation (for free at http://www.fyi.tv/shows/tiny-house-nation/episodes), plenty of people are doing it for different reasons, may be a cheaper & nicer option than going full on RV.
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer