Thread: Hey truck people, specifically diesel trucks.....

Hey truck people, specifically diesel trucks.....

similar to my other thread about TT, i am looking at having to trade in the WRX for something larger. 3 years has been fun but 2 kids and two new dogs, little car just doesn't cut it.

Most of the TTs i like are are coming in @5700 lbs. Add gear etc, it starts to push 6500 lbs. I do have a new Burb and like it, but with a capacity @8000 lbs, I am starting to get near the top. We had the last burb to 164k miles and are hoping this one can last that long. So looking at a designated tow vehicle. Since I WFH these days I am not concerned with my mpg. For the last year, I put on 2000 miles or so.

So what do the people with diesels prefer? My dad just purchased a 2013 2500HD and loves it. I am considering something a little older but <100K. Most of what I do are trips to HD and camping.

koop seems to not like the Dodges....

What else?
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Re: Hey truck people, specifically diesel trucks.....

I've been looking around at a used diesel as well for the same use. The '06 & '07 Duramax trucks have a great reputation. Everything I've read says to avoid the Ford 6.0 unless it has had several expensive upgrades made. If you are considering a Dodge, look at the current recall that is affecting several years - 2008 to 2013 maybe. Lots of front end issues that could result in buybacks for the original purchaser.

I like the looks of the F250's the most and will likely go with a 2009 or so when I'm ready to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    I've been looking around at a used diesel as well for the same use. The '06 & '07 Duramax trucks have a great reputation. Everything I've read says to avoid the Ford 6.0 unless it has had several expensive upgrades made. If you are considering a Dodge, look at the current recall that is affecting several years - 2008 to 2013 maybe. Lots of front end issues that could result in buybacks for the original purchaser.

I like the looks of the F250's the most and will likely go with a 2009 or so when I'm ready to get one.
    I had a 2005 Powerstroke, the supposed "fixed" version. It was a total piece of shit!!! I put over $13,000 into that thing and it broke a rod a few months ago. I now have a 2015 F350 and it is amazing. The new 6.7 (Scorpion) is an impressive piece of engineering. It has reverse flow heads. The intake runners are on the bottom of the head and the exhaust exits where the intake used to be, straight into the turbo. The mechanics I've talked to say they don't know much about the 6.7 as they hardly ever come back to the dealership for repairs. The 6.7 Powerstroke has been out since 2011.

The problem with Chevy and Dodge is they are at the limit of what those engines can produce. That's why they're starting to have problems. Ford is at the beginnings of what this engine can do. And, it has a long way to go to achieve maximum power. Right now it's 440H.P and 860 Ft/Lbs.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

We had the Ram 3500 dually with the Cummins turbo diesel and we got 9-10mpg towing and 13-14mpg without the toy hauler. The only front end recall I was aware of was the tie rod ends, which fortunately had been done on our truck.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I have a 2002 F350 dually with the 7.3l engine. I use it to pull a 5th wheel RV that is about 13K pounds. It would be nice to have a little more grunt going over the big passes, but overall it pulls very well. The 7.3 has a stellar reputation.

Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Ahhhhhh!!! The 7.3!! Too bad they couldn't make it meet emissions and had to stop building it.

My fifth-wheel is 13K, yours has to be heavier than that.

I'm blown away with my new 6.7! I'm out-running cars up the passes. That thing is a beast!! You're more than welcome to try it sometime.
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Ahhhhhh!!! The 7.3!! Too bad they couldn't make it meet emissions and had to stop building it.
    It is a nice motor. I bet there is a fair amount of power to be had in it, but the transmission is probably the limiting factor.

My fifth-wheel is 13K, yours has to be heavier than that.

I'm blown away with my new 6.7! I'm out-running cars up the passes. That thing is a beast!! You're more than welcome to try it sometime.
    The label on mine says 13.5K pounds empty, and we aren't in the habit of adding too much to it. I empty the tanks before towing. Yeah, that 6.7 is a monster of an engine and the new frames can handle ridiculous loads. I've been looking at them every time I'm at the dealer. I had to replace my Expedition last Februrary, so I will have to wait a year or two, but I'll be in the market for a 2015 about then. And no, I'm not going to try yours because I know if I did, I'd be right down at the dealer afterwards spending money I don't have.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Jesus Dirk! Go big or go home?? Sure beats a tent and the ground I bet!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I have a 2002 F350 dually with the 7.3l engine. I use it to pull a 5th wheel RV that is about 13K pounds. It would be nice to have a little more grunt going over the big passes, but overall it pulls very well. The 7.3 has a stellar reputation.

"If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Yeah, Dirk's set up is just a touch beyond where I want/plan/can afford to be.

I almost think I could get away with a newer gas puller, but to just not have to worry about towing, hills, etc....

How many miles is too many miles for a used truck? Depends on year/model? This would be my first diesel so doing a lot of reading up on what the various fan boys say.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

PM me, I'll put you in touch with a guy who wrenches on all of these and who currently runs a sled truck. The reason I like him - he doesn't play brand favorites - he'll tell you what you need to look for in each model.
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Jesus Dirk! Go big or go home?? Sure beats a tent and the ground I bet!
    Hey, the boss needs her comfort.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Yeah, Dirk's set up is just a touch beyond where I want/plan/can afford to be.

I almost think I could get away with a newer gas puller, but to just not have to worry about towing, hills, etc....

How many miles is too many miles for a used truck? Depends on year/model? This would be my first diesel so doing a lot of reading up on what the various fan boys say.
    Diesel motors are pretty stout. We bought our dually with over 100K miles and it ran like clockwork towing a rig similar to Dirk's all over the US for a year. The problem is that the rest of the truck also had over 100K on it: frame, ancillaries, electrics, interior etc. We had to replace a leaking turbo gasket, and a couple of ball joints, that was all. But for serious pulling, used buyers are ok with that.
    Last edited by asp_125; Thu Oct 29th, 2015 at 10:30 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

If you are going to do any reasonable amount of towing, you can't beat the low-end grunt of a diesel. As for mileage, it's like any other vehicle: how hard was it worked and was it properly maintained? With that said, diesel trucks are designed to work hard for a long time, so 100-200K miles properly cared for is not bad. Every manufacturer has had their mis-steps at times, so read up on any specific model to see what the issues might be (like the 6.0 engine that replaced the 7.3 in the Fords).

--Thomas Jefferson

Agree with the above. I have a 7.3 myself that I use to tow all the time. I tow 22K pounds (including the truck) all the time via gooseneck and get about 12 mpg. Close to 19 mpg without towing. Couple small mods but no chip... yet.

I have a 2008 6.4 f250 as well but will be selling it as I just picked it up to flip. Used to be fleet vehicle just for driving and no towing (on time maintence on everything) and the thing is clean. 165k miles. Let me know if you might be interested in it. No worries if not.

Good luck on the search!

Truck on truckas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

How are you guys calculating your mileage? I calculate by how much fuel it took to fill the tank divided by how many miles driven. The computer in my truck is way off. It'll say 19 gallons used and 14 MPG. In reality, it took 21 gallons to fill up and I got 12 MPG. I've heard the computer will get more accurate as more miles are put on it. It's at 4,200 right now.

Anyway, I ask because everyone seems to get better mileage then me. I drive like a grandma, too. Well, how hard I push on the throttle. I get about 13 MPG empty and 7 MPG when towing. The numbers I hear from everyone are what I see on the computer, but I know it's not accurate at all.
    Kim & Dean

How are you guys calculating your mileage? I calculate by how much fuel it took to fill the tank divided by how many miles driven. The computer in my truck is way off. It'll say 19 gallons used and 14 MPG. In reality, it took 21 gallons to fill up and I got 12 MPG. I've heard the computer will get more accurate as more miles are put on it. It's at 4,200 right now.

Anyway, I ask because everyone seems to get better mileage then me. I drive like a grandma, too. Well, how hard I push on the throttle. I get about 13 MPG empty and 7 MPG when towing. The numbers I hear from everyone are what I see on the computer, but I know it's not accurate at all.
    I think thats a fairly universal problem, at least with Ford (even gas engines) I have one of those add on units that plug into the OBDII port and when I fill up the number of gallons pumped results in about an 18% addition to what the computer thinks I used. This of course cuts my fuel mileage by 18% compared to what the onboard system would display.

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    I think thats a fairly universal problem, at least with Ford (even gas engines) I have one of those add on units that plug into the OBDII port and when I fill up the number of gallons pumped results in about an 18% addition to what the computer thinks I used. This of course cuts my fuel mileage by 18% compared to what the onboard system would display.
    I have an Edge Insight in the truck. I should turn on the MPG crap and see what it says. Although, I'd probably get the same results. I'm guessing that the Insight probably reads from the same sensor that the factory computer does.
    Kim & Dean

Gold Member

I have a 99f350 and 2008f450.

the 7.3 is a beast. the 6.0 is garbage. the 6.4 is decent but still a few issues. hear nothing but good thing about the 6.7.

Dodge has had some transmission issues. Chevy just seems to fall apart. but honestly with American made trucks none are bullet proof. each has its owns plus and downfalls.

but having a diesel as a daily driver can get very expensive. maintenance and oil changes are costly compared to unleaded.