Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Yeah some days I really miss it; especially when I see a bunch of bikes go by and brings back memories. After so many years and seeing some horrible crashes, I am sure you know what I mean since you have been in this club as long as I am, I felt it was time to take a break….guess it is party of getting old and wiser I plan to get back on one day, but am probably done with the superbikes and get me something more comfy like a VFR.

That is one reason I have left my WRX stock (engine wise). I modded all my cars previously and it became a pain with emissions and proper tuning. I’ve been very happy with the WRX though and it has enough power to let me have fun, but not too much where I get in trouble. Funny as I am in opposite situation as my WRX is a manual transmission and my wife doesn’t know how to drive one. At times it is nice she never drives my car, but then other times in can be a pain because if we take my car I am stuck driving no matter what. She has a small SUV Rouge, so it kind of works out, but her vehicle is not fun to drive at all.

You can do a “Hoopty” (Dave) and buy an old cheap Subaru and wrench on it as a side project; his WRX and STI are gone after the wifey and baby came . He has some Legacy GT done up pretty well and he bought it for next to nothing.

P.S. Don’t listen to Aaron…he needs these fancy “assistance” device vehicles to drive like a boss! Not like us old guys that grew up on relying on pure skill! Just kidding Aaron, but it is cool your generation has things I never had; dual transmission, launch assistance, paddle shifters, traction control, etc. I have a young buddy who we argue about this all the time for fun because he has a fancy BMW with all these goodies, but can’t even drive a stick.
Yeah - it's different for me when I had all kids that were getting older / "old enough" but then the whole having a new baby thing sort of changed my perspective like it did 15 years ago or so - I need to take a break, spend some time with him so if something bad does befall me one day out on two --- he'll remember me / have memories. Not sure if that is older, wiser, or what --- but it's where I'm at for the moment.

My spousal can't drive a manual either (ooooh how I miss the feel of a clutch and short throw shift cycle) - that was a big factor for sure too. And unfortunately I can't do a "Hoopty"... I have ZERO mechanical skills... I'm lucky to be able to change my oil myself let alone wrench on something. I have dreams of restoring a muscle car or old truck one day - but I know the truth of it would be I'd buy it and send it to a shop to restore for me because I'd get too frustrated too quick.

My 2nd car was a 61 Ford Falcon... manual steering, 3 on the tree, traction of a squirrel on ice with no nails... oh yeah... I know manual skills! I kind of miss it - but I'll tell you - I'm digging the luxury. I'm digging the luxury BIG TIME.