How dare I post a motorcycle-related topic on CSC, so take it easy on me.

I hate the naked class of bikes, I'll be the first to admit it. For me, with almost every model the manufacturer completely misinterprets what I want in a bike. Personally, I want the bike that is good at everything. Give me one bike in the garage that can do everything, and that's what I want. Right now I've of course got the S1000RR, and I don't think it can be beat, that's why I bought it (Ok, it doesn't look or sound the best).

I love naked bikes in theory. I love the comfort, I love that they try and retain superbike level performance in theory, and I love the look. But with every article I read, I read about how the manufacturer "street tunes" them. Softer (Read lower performance) suspension. Cheaper components to cut costs (Read heavier). Engines "tuned" for more midrange (Read less power). Worse brakes to cut cost (Read more fade).

Has anyone who has ridden a S1000RR complained about its harsh suspension? Mine's got the electronic DDC of course, and it's great on the street, got no issues with that at all. It's harsh, but so is a Porsche suspension and people drive those on the street. Does anyone hear with a modern literbike suspersport have an issue with a lack of midrange power? Jesus I hope not, I certainly don't. Sure at 6,000 rpm I'm not screaming yet, but let's face it literbikes are not lacking in midrange, they just feel it because of what happens at 10,000 when shit gets illegal in a felonious fashion quick. I've never been on the street, at low rpm, and thought this bike needs moar. That's why I didn't get a 600, so that wouldn't happen. So don't tune my damn engine down. Cost? Ok I can understand that, but personally my budget was somewhere under $40k, I honestly didn't care where. The S1000RR is a bargain. I would've spent the same amount on a naked, in a heartbeat. I don't get why the manufacturers feel they need to lower cost when the market buyers have shown that they'll pay for nice bikes (Panigale and S1000RR are dominating literbike sales despite being the most expensive).

Yamaha FZ-10 just came out. It looks bad fucking ass. I love it. That gray color with neon rims? Fucking hot. Those front lights look like a transformer. It's comfortable too? It's got cruise control? It's heavily based on the R1? Hell ya sign me up! Except nope.

-They "tuned" the engine, robbing power to make more midrange. Great. The R1 was already down on power.
-They made it quieter so it doesn't sound like an R1. Like, really?
-Steel rear subframe so it weighs more
-Steel brake pistons so it weighs more
-Softer suspension so it's not too harsh
-Cheaper electronics so it's cheaper

Oh but it's cheap! Fan-fucking-tastic, so is a Katana, but I'm not rushing out to buy one. Seriously, price it the same as the R1, and put R1 level components on it, and I'd buy one. Give me an R1 except without all of the ugly R1 bits, make it look like the FZ-10 (HOT!), add cruise control and handlebars and tell me where to sign. It's not rocket science.

In closing, mad props to KTM and Aprilia. The SuperDuke 1290 and Tuono 1100 Factory are pretty good. All of the other nakeds completely miss the mark for me by being cheaper, because in order to make them cheap, they make them worse. You'd think they'd have learned by where the 600 class is at right now. People are willing to pay for up-spec bikes.