Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
FB has private groups that provide fast, up to date info. I'm a member of a MTB trail riding group that has some 9,000 members. Want to know today's trail conditions? Someone has ridden it in the last 12 hours or less. Have a mechanical question? Someone has done what you're working, just post a pic. Want to sell a bike or motorcycle? There are big groups for both. I sold my DRZ next day via FB group Colorado Moto Buy/Sell/Trade. It's much more than keeping up with friends and HS classmates.
I'm not saying there is an inherent evil to Facebook, just think for the most part it's over blown BS with news feeds from people on their lunch breaks. I get your point, and I'm sure Facebook has plenty to offer in terms of networking with people in a given sport as you mentioned.

However, have a mechanical question?? Guess what, I turn on YouTube and find the answers myself. Or I just go on the many countless automotive forums out there that offer tech help.

Bulldog mentioned that forums the world over are dying a slow death and to an extent I agree. However, the Camaro forum I was on, and I'm still on as the car I have now has the same V6 my Camaro had, is a booming forum. But then again, that forum does encompass a world wide audience. The Colorado Sportbike Forum, not so much.

Also if I want to buy/sell or trade. I usually look to Ebay or Craigslist. Very rarely will I go to a forum specific place that is dedicated to a small contingent of people. I've sold many guitars and amps, and tons of motorcycle equipment on Ebay. Why? because I can reach a vastly superior audience of buyers than I can here on CoSportbikeForum. Sure, I'll post the same stuff here in hopes to sell it locally. But at the same time, I'll place it up on Ebay or Craigslist where I know I'm guaranteed hits on my for sale items.

And while I do get that Facebook is way more than what it seems, to me it was nothing more than for keeping up with past friends and HS classmates. That's all it ever amounted to me. It's a great idea and most people(over a billion users now??) like Facebook. There are those of us, that either just don't like it or don't really see the point of Facebook.

Take Twitter for instance. I'm not going to get political here but a good example is our President. Now, while I am a fan of our current President and was happy to vote for him. I really, vehemently hate the fact that he uses Twitter. Why?? Because Twitter is mainly for people who post up pointless sh*t that no one cares about. It's for those that just have way to much time on their hands and need that instant gratification of acceptance or likes or whatever the hell it is that Twitter has to offer. It's basically Instagram, with just words and nothing else. Speaking of a waste of time, nothing is more menial, self centered, narcissistic and vanity driven than Instagram. I mean, how many freaking selfies do you really need???

The President of the United States has no business using Twitter.

Twitter is a good and wonderful concept. 140 characters to use, which means keeping it short and simple to get a message out. If the President used it as such, it might be a good thing. Letting people know about a such and such House Bill, or the Senate is considering this or that, or the Supreme Court is set to hear this or that monumental case. Then I'd be all for the President using Twitter. But to use it to tell us CNN sucks, yeah kind of preaching to the choir there we get it. No one likes CNN. I understand people can follow each other and get instant feeds or some news. I get the point of twitter, I just have no use for it. I can turn on the radio, watch the local news or check for news online to get my information.

As with most things, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram they all get abused. If they were used for what they were intended then they would be really beneficial. As with most things, it's the dickheads that use the stuff that ruin it for everyone else.

Myself, I prefer the forums. It's more engaging, with people who do participate offering up their thoughts and ideas. Isn't that the whole reason why this country is hip deep in sh*t right now?? People have stopped the dialogue and all we hear is BS from both sides. No one takes the time to intelligently debate their stance or points of view. Rather, let's go kick the crap out of others, spray them with pepperspray and quell any form of free speech they are seeking to use.

Come on people, Internet Forums Lives matter too