Last Saturday 1/7/05 my good friend and riding partner went down hard trying to avoid a dog!

I didn't actually see him crash as I was in front but I know It was caused by a dog. I had to manuver to avoid it myself about 30 seconds earlier.

We had just left our houses and were still basically warming up the bikes and tires. Nothing crazy or different than a normal Saturday morning ride.

After stopping at an intersection, I continued ahead while he waited for the next car. He was a couple hundred yards behind as I crested this hill about 45mph. I kicked up to about 65-70 when I saw a dog start across the road in front of me. I hit the binders and tried to flash my brake light and stuck out my leg. I guess he didn't see anything.

By the time I got to the next intersection (1/4 mi) Matt was gone. I turned around and rode back. There he was lying in the road not moving. Meanwhile a car had stopped and were checking him out and trying to call 911. I was sure there was no cell service, but the firehouse was just down the road.

I told the people not to move him! And leave his helmet on! I turned around and went to the station. The paramedics got to him within 5 minutes. He still hadn't moved!

It looks like he grabbed too much front brake and flipped the bike (2003 999) over on top of himself.

He is pretty messed up. Broken neck (C2) exploded pelvis (Seven places), broken rib, and both hands are broken across the knuckles.

Thank God Matt always wears his gear. 1 piece leathers, Arai Helmet, back protector, gloves, and boots. I'm convinced he'd be dead if not for that. Good quality stuff also made a difference.

He is still in ICU and goes to the operating room today to repair his pelvis. Please give him a thought and or a prayer for a speedy recovery.

I don't blame the dog for the accident, It's the owners that are responsible for this one. People need to control their animals!