All new harleys coming off the showroom floor have an exhaust with some type of manufacturer's number on them, or the words DOT approved, or some such...just like the sport bikes. I am annoyed by both camps who run excessive noise!!! And yep, whoever said it is the 20% idiots thar ruin it for all of us is right. They ride all types..... and by the way, I prefer my v-twin to all the inline fours for my personal riding style....the Duc 900 SS and my SV1KS!!!!! Yes, AMA is hot on this because it effects rights. Streets and parks have been closed to motorcyclists because of that 20% mentioned above and the councilmen setting the rules lump us all together.

As a MSF instructor, there is NO scientific evidence that loud pipes save lives. Loud noises wake up drivers at times, some times they don't. As a defensive posture, I run with my thumb on the horn button at times...and my air horns on the old Wingabago scared the ever living pee out of a few drivers. And the horn is legal!!!!

I love the evidence and I appreciate the article from AMA being posted. On of my friends on a V-twin Cruiser got pulled over and given a warning.....twice. He bought the bike and it had aftermarket pipes on it already. One of those things and he tries to ride it quietly without drawing attention to it. It effects everyone. So, if we ride 2 wheels, why the hate?????????

just curious. Oh, I just put Microns on my SV1KS, so I will see if I get in trouble. They look great....sound great, but I know I am pushing the limit. But I also know how to ride in town reasonably!!! Thanks R1chie....great info.

on the other side.....