Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Exhausts - Got one? Want one? Consider this...

Re: Aftermarket Exhaust - Got one? Want one? Consider this...

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    Depends on the bike... race bodywork for some of the newer bikes may not have enough clearance with catalytic converters on the stock exhaust and might burn through the bodywork.
    exactly and i dont really want to spend any money on the exhaust right now. i have more important things like suspension to sort out first..............maybe i can just modify the plastics

There is a motor officer I know (who rides a V-Strom) who quit writing excessive noise tickets because they were always dismissed. The H-D guys were showing up with lawyers so the judges threw them out rather than lose on appeall due to technicalities.

More jurisdictions are going to the "stamp" standard instead of a "dB level at so many feet" because it is easier to enforce and less open to interpetation. According to the EPA all "off-road exhaust" are supposed to be stamped that way all the officer has to do is inspect the can to look for those words so it makes it easier. I know of some cruiser folks who are trying to put together a network of stock pipes to swap for inspections because that is the next thing coming into effect here.

Intolerant assholes would have every right we are still clinging onto ripped away from us. There are groups of people that would like to see fast motorcycles made illegal, bicycles illegal on public roads, large dogs illegal to own as pets, etc. Of course theres no stopping them eventually you won't be able to do anything but go to work, buy some groceries on the way home and watch state selected viewing on your television once you get home, and read state selected books.
    00' Hayabusa

Board Newbie

All new harleys coming off the showroom floor have an exhaust with some type of manufacturer's number on them, or the words DOT approved, or some such...just like the sport bikes. I am annoyed by both camps who run excessive noise!!! And yep, whoever said it is the 20% idiots thar ruin it for all of us is right. They ride all types..... and by the way, I prefer my v-twin to all the inline fours for my personal riding style....the Duc 900 SS and my SV1KS!!!!! Yes, AMA is hot on this because it effects rights. Streets and parks have been closed to motorcyclists because of that 20% mentioned above and the councilmen setting the rules lump us all together.

As a MSF instructor, there is NO scientific evidence that loud pipes save lives. Loud noises wake up drivers at times, some times they don't. As a defensive posture, I run with my thumb on the horn button at times...and my air horns on the old Wingabago scared the ever living pee out of a few drivers. And the horn is legal!!!!

I love the evidence and I appreciate the article from AMA being posted. On of my friends on a V-twin Cruiser got pulled over and given a warning.....twice. He bought the bike and it had aftermarket pipes on it already. One of those things and he tries to ride it quietly without drawing attention to it. It effects everyone. So, if we ride 2 wheels, why the hate?????????

just curious. Oh, I just put Microns on my SV1KS, so I will see if I get in trouble. They look great....sound great, but I know I am pushing the limit. But I also know how to ride in town reasonably!!! Thanks R1chie....great info.

on the other side.....

i have a street bike and its got the stock exhaust and in my opinion its quiet.. granted when im rolling at 8k its pretty loud its the stock factory can. I had an older gentleman in his truck follow me all the way to my house and proceded to chew my ass for having a loud bike and tearing the very fabric of the neighborhoods tranquility and peacefulness. come to find out he owns two Harleys, both with modified exhaust, very loud to boot... now i could care less as long as he isnt at my window revving. i live near I25 and deal with noise all day and all night, and i did like the sounds of his bikes, even though i hate harleys.. i stopped by and he didnt even hear me rev my bike and pull into his driveway and i couldnt hear my bike over his idleing.. i asked the expected, "what the hell?! yours is twice as loud as mine so why you yellin at me... within in the first minute i heard many a foul word and the term "riceburner" countless times, followed by a "get the hell out of here!"

im not so sure its the fact that noise bothers people, but as mentioned above a few times earlier, the type of noise and the person...
    he didnt like the type of noise my bike had and had reported me a few times for it.. its just a simple fact that no matter how quiet or loud your ride is.. someone, somewhere, at some point in time will be pissed off about it.. only problem is streetbikes have the bad rap put on us by thos select people who decide to do illegal stuff all over and make nuisances of them selves so there are more people upset at us than at the harley riders.. same with dirtbikes too.. there are the ones who ride fast in vacant lots and fields where they arent supposed to be at in the first place so they get more complaints and therefore are targeted more so than the cruisers. we are pretty much on the shit list of many people so we should just try harder to keep a better name for ourselves for being respectable riders..
    i take a certian level or pride in telling people i belong to CSC, and not some of the other groups in town which i wont name. granted this group has its problems, everyone ive met so far have been very helpful, and respectable and most importantly safe, which is a hell of alot more than i can say for the other sport groups around
    I think someone peed in your gene pool.

The bottom line is there are those people who do not like something and have spare time or the energy and will go out of their way to make life difficult for those people , weather or not they are law abidding citizens or those nasty law breakers ( the later getting more attention) .
    The empty can rattles the most ya know?
    ........They come in pints?

So with the Denver Ordinance will the popo be carrying devices to measure the amount of DB's produced by your bike or will it be a judgement call by the police? Just a question, how's the police supposed to know?

The Denver law which was passed JULY 1 says you must have the EPA stamp or it is a $500 ticket. As far as I'm concerned this is bullshit. There is already a law on the books that states: 80db at 25ft...... but the city doesn't enforce it. Now we have to deal with this crap. Who the hell lives in a city and complains about noise??????????

Board Newbie

BE RESPONSABLE! That’s what it comes down to! Stock, aftermarket, Import, Harley! Whatever! We are all motorcyclists; Denver is pointing the finger at us! I have a RC51 Yosh Highs, 80db at idle and 100db at 5000 rpm. That’s offset 45 degrees and 3 feet away! I understand my bike is loud, and RESPECT other people around me! I was pulled over the other day by TPD for the officer not noticing my plate, he commented that he could tell I was a good rider and couldn’t believe how quiet my pipes were. It’s all about how you present yourself! Noise Ordinance whatever! I just wish it would be across the board! Pan-Pans, Muscle Cars, DESIL TRUCKS(private, and commercial) Car Sterols, do it for 1 do it for all! The reason I brought up TPD is they are looking for loud pipes too, the officer said he looks for it too! Just be aware and be responsible!
    Ride or Die, the only way in life!

What it really comes down to is the jackasses running their bikes (Harleys, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Yamahas, Ducatis: It just does not matter what brand) up and down the streets of downtown Denver at all hours of the night. They seem to have some things in common. They have ridiculously loud exhaust, they want everybody to know it, and they want to impress us with their obvious riding abilities (they just have to be better riders than Valentino, I mean look at 'em!).

The other common thread is the amount of money the residents downtown have paid for those luxury lofts. A hell of a lot. Money=influence. How many times do you figure the owner of a million dollar downtown loft needs to complain to a city councilperson before a new ordinance is passed?

Db meters are not required by any officers. It has been against federal law to modify your stock exhaust for quite some time. It just was not enforced. Now the Denver cops have this new ordinance and are just looking for the EPA stamp that is only on EPA approved exhaust. Not there? Too bad for you.

All of my bikes are illegal according to this new ordinance. Hell, my diesel truck engine makes more noise than my GSXR but the truck is legal? Imagine the riots if they started enforcing the long standing noise ordinances in cities, and the diesel truck and SUV owners started getting tickets. Oh, the horror! Or worse, the cars running around with trash can sized mufflers and top fuel wings (thanks so much "Fast and the Furious") started getting tickets too? If you have access to a decibel meter, measure normal traffic noise sometime. Not loud bikes and cars, just normal, everyday traffic.

We are being discriminated against! That makes it a HATE CRIME!
    2017 CBR 1000RR SP2
    2019 Monkey

MSF RiderCoach

Smart Ass
    Track day junkie,
    Cat hater,
    and Mopar addict...
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step...

skip all the technical articles and discussions and just do "The Eddie Murphy"....
    Stick a banana in it within the city limits and realize a 20db sound loss !!
    On the way to the Mountains eat the Banana for a quick energy boost !!!
    Simple yet Effective

I am sure you all know by now, that Denver has the new noise law on motorcycles.

Jay
    Be safe.
    Be fun.
    Be free.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    And like they say..
    Loud pipes save lives.

I think it is true, because there are times where someone has not been able to see a bike, but know its there. Where as if i am behind them, they can not hear me at all. And with all the stupid drivers on the road nowadays. Anything that saves a riders life or prevents a hospital visit should be legal.
    You mean like banning cell phone use while driving?

Come on, we all know that you can be riding a screaming yellow Ducati with race pipes, active sirens, anc Christmas lights right next to some SUV with their windows down and the driver will STILL change lanes into you!

Riding my bicycle outside of Morrison, there are always big groups of the LPSL club heading up the road. With no other traffic, no headphones, and only the sound of my breathing, guess how long it takes from the time I hear them to when they pass me?

No more than two seconds; not long enough at 50mph for a cruiser to stop, especially considering the average 0.75 sec reaction time. No matter how loud your pipes are, they WILL NOT prevent some jackass from pulling out into your way at the last second.

The only rule that works is that you are invisible to all people at all times, no matter what. Ride accordingly.

I've got an Erion Racing pipe, it's not obnoxiously loud at all, but it is louder than the stock. I think about loud pipes in this way. When a motorcyclist is riding on the highway, are the in more danger from being cut off from a 4 wheeler in front or from behind? Where would loud pipes actually get people to take notice? Can people with their windows rolled up and stereo cranked still hear you? Would there be a better way to practice riding safely than to rely on loud pipes? I think the below picture describes my thoughts well...enjoy

I got a great idea.....Mind your own fuc*ing business! I have a devil race on my R1 and its pretty loud. Not d&d loud, but a nice crisp controlled noise. If you dont like that my pipe, get the fuc* away from me. Tell me its too loud and leave me alone, move on with your life....

All the guys I ride with and no one has ever been pulled over for loud pipes, some pipes are cut and gutted...never been pulled over. Whats the problem?

Im here all week, if anyone wants to talk about it

My bike is loud as hell, yes i have goten introuble with police. I'm still not going to make by bike quite! Because my bike is so loud it has saved me more then once with a car not seeing me. Granted i don't rev the egine like crazy around town. Regardles, If i can make it louder it will get louder!

Represent The Green Monster In You!

All pipes make noise, some pipes make music. Good music is great to the ears, just not 3 feet away from someones driverside door with there kids in the car. Or the goobs that rev the crap out of their anywhere and everywhere. Straight exhausts, give me a break. They sound like crap. " Moto GP sounds man" Yeah right, race motogp then. You can get very nice exhausts without having them get "loud" until the higher RPM's. Although it is cool to have a deep base sound that sets off car alarms when you idle past.Personally, I love getting wokin up at 3 in the morning by some rebel........or some squid banging through the gears on Colfax, and when he takes a turn, bangs through some more.....feeling the rush of speed. IT gets annoying as heck following some tinny trash can exhaust as well. Even the earplugs don't help. Loud pipes are crap, unless you are on the track where you can actually let them sing the high notes, or somewhere that is not in public earshot. I'm sure people will continue to buy the slashcut "motoGP stylin" exhaust, but until manufatctures quit making that crap and actually start focusing on art and music, then the trash can noise of a four cylinder engine will continue to make people angry.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    How can anyone NOT love the sound of a screaming inline-4? I mean really! Now, the sound of a tract-- er, I mean V-twin -- makes me want to put a bullet in my head, but I could listen to an inline-4 at redline all day and not get sick of it....

Been a stalker of this site for a while, just signed up.

With a post like this one I would vote for you as president!

Oh and I dont use my horn, ever. I always rev my bike and get a better response.

Zombie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Intolerant assholes would have every right we are still clinging onto ripped away from us. There are groups of people that would like to see fast motorcycles made illegal, bicycles illegal on public roads, large dogs illegal to own as pets, etc. Of course theres no stopping them eventually you won't be able to do anything but go to work, buy some groceries on the way home and watch state selected viewing on your television once you get home, and read state selected books.
    good point sir.

As long as we bash Harley we shoot ourselves, people only see two wheels.
    If you still think skill will get you out of that 16 year old girl on her cell phone or that drunk driver going the wrong way then by all means you deserve to leave the Stock cans on.
    there are more distractions now than ever before.
    every little bit helps, sure I hate hearing the WOT screaming Straight pipe at 3 in the morning but that's the guy that is going to get the ticket and not me.

Stock bike in Rush hour traffic good luck.

I like the sound of aftermarket exhaust as well, but truthfully, for me it's about aesthetics. I just think most of the huge, bazooka like stock exhaust on most bikes out there now are extremely fugly. I like my bike to look good and the sleek and sexy look of most aftermarket exhaust accomplishes that goal... To each their own though

Re: Aftermarket Exhausts - Got one? Want one? Consider this...

Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    How can anyone NOT love the sound of a screaming inline-4? I mean really! Now, the sound of a tract-- er, I mean V-twin -- makes me want to put a bullet in my head, but I could listen to an inline-4 at redline all day and not get sick of it....
    I like the sound of my V-Twin. And I dont have to rev up past 9K to get it to sound good like an Inline-4. Thats not to say an Inline-4 doesn't sound badass at 9K and above I love the sound of them hauling ass down the freeway by my apt at 2am it makes me want to go out and ride! But my V-twin doesnt require me to be above legal speed limits to enjoy the sound of it, it sounds good just rolling around on city streets.

My V4 screaming and echoing off some canyon wall somewhere = music. The same V4 rattling windows in the neighborhood, not so much. If you like the sound of your pipe, use it responsibly, and not share it with your neighbor at 11pm or 5am. It's all about being a good rider and not some jackhole. It's the squids that run it to redline in first gear down city streets that spoil it for the rest of us.
    Last edited by asp_125; Thu Jul 26th, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Holy fuck, who rezz'd a 6yr old thread?

" Sat May 27th, 2006, 12:02 AM"

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson