Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your most embarrassing motorcycle story

1948-2011 - R.I.P. Lifetime Supporter Scruff Dog's Avatar

What is your most embarrassing motorcycle story

A year ago, I was riding my Aprilia up and over Trail Ridge Road. As I was flying down the long and steep sections on the western side, I passed a few bicycle riders just before the road starts to tighten up. I didn't think anything of it, but when I glanced into my rearview mirror I saw that one of them was right on my tail. I sped up, he's right there. Hmmm, he's racing me.

In my own defence, there are a lot of very tight cornors on that section of road. But still, I can't let this guy pass me on his bicycle! I don't know how he was able to go so fast on that thing, but I was going way over my confort level. All I could think of was what a strange situation of peer pressure this was.

Mercifully, the road finally opened up and that was the end of it.
    2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
    2005 Yamaha R1
    2001 Corvette Z06

Re: What is your most embarrassing motorcycle story

When I was constantly getting passed SCR by a dirt bike with street tires on it. Finally caught and passed him but damn that bike was quick.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

When I was pulling away from The Breck on a little "test ride" on somebody's bike. Hoopty decided to come with, and as we were peeling out of our parking spots, Hoopty ate shit with everybody watching out the windows.

Yeah... that was probably the most embarassing.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Showing off in front of several friends when I was in Junior High, I did a standing start wheelie . Forgot to unlock the handle bars. Made it about 30 ft. Before I crashed.
    Last edited by Mac020; Thu Oct 19th, 2006 at 06:52 PM.

Back in the dark ages known as the 70's, we rode our dirt bikes to the riding areas. I was making time along the side of a golf course and hit a drainage ditch. The bike came to an abrupt stop…I didn’t. When I picked myself up, I noticed a couple of golfers laughing at me. Actually, it was pretty funny. And Scruff Dog, that was me on the bicycle that nearly passed your sorry ass.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

A buddy did the MSF course and I took him to Cycle Central to look for his first bike. We went so he could check out an F3 and a YZF600 they had, but when we got there his eyes fell on a 900RR. Against my advice he decided to take it for a spin (his only other experiance was on the little dual sport at the class). 10 minutes passed. 15. I was getting nervous. We drove his car and he had the keys. Finally I asked the salesdude if I could borrow something and make sure he hadn't pasted himself. While I grabbed my gear he fired up this RC51. I hopped on, went to pull out and killed it. Fired it back up, gave it more throttle and killed it. Third time, no go. I'm looking the bike over, shaking my head, when the dude walks back over and says "why don't you try giving it some gas!" Anyway revving it to 4K finally made the pukey sucker get off the line. I felt like a noob, even though the bike was a turd. Found my buddy up the street pushing the 900RR back. The electrical failed. Go Honda.

Another time I had just finished working on my carbs to cure some decel popping. I was riding down the road getting on the gas then closing the throttle and listening for pops. Sounded good so I flipped a bitch at the next light and nailed the throttle to check the upper RPMs. I flew by this very gentlemanly chap on a VFR800 with the front wheel off the ground. This was unintentional as the bike had been very lean and didn't produce power wheelies before the carb work. I shifted into second, set the front down and slowed to the speed limit. Stopped at a red light, VFR guy pulls up next to me shaking his head. I felt like a fuckin' hooligan, totally ashamed that this dude thought I was trying to show him up or whatever, but the bike was running great!

pulled up to park in front of one of the local hangouts up here about 10 years ago...I didn't notice the uneven crack in the pavement right where I pulled up....when I went to put the kickstand down it hit the edge of the crack and stopped (feeling like it was all the way down). I started to dismount and the bike fell over. What made it worse was that I tried to save it and ended up with my left leg pinned under the bike and the dozen or so spectators were too busy laughing to help me.

another time I arrived for work....we had a large warehouse type building with a smooth concrete floor. when I arrived the majority of my co workers were standing in a group so I decide to be a cool guy and park the bike with a boot-leg turn (lock the rear wheel and spin the bike around)...something we've all done a billion times on a dirt bike and I had even done a couple times on my Virago on the same smooth floor...with no one watching, of course....well, long story short, this time my execution was less than perfect and I ended up on my ass in front of everyone.

last one....while out riding my first sportbike I was on Peak to Peak (I think, may have been a different canyon...hard to remember) and going what I thought was pretty damn fast and thinking I'm cool.....until I get passed by a guy on a dual sport bike with big, square, stainless steel saddle bags hanging off of it. never found out who he was, but, whether he intended to or not, he put me in my place that day LoL
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

AKA "Devaclis"

I rode a Yamaha once. Embarrassed the hell out of me needless to say
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

For christmas this past year a friend decided to get his wife a Ducati Monster. We found "THE" bike around thanksgiving. A 2005 620 with only 1900 miles on it for a great price. It had been used to commute some, so it was a little dirty and needed some TLC. To preserve the secret we stored the bike in my garage and I spent a bunch of time cleaning it up and getting it ready for Christmas.

I had pulled the bike into the middle of my garage and started cleaining it up. There were some stubborn spots that required a bit of "agressive" cleaning. Forgetting that the floor in my garage sloped slightly, I parked the bike facing down the slope.

While cleaning the right side of the bike, I was scrubbing along pretty good when I pushed the bike right off it's side stand putting the famous "Monster" dent in the tank, bending an exhaust hanger, breaking off the clutch lever and damaging the switch gear.

What made it worse is that I sometimes prank about such things happening, so when I called my buddy to tell him what I'd done, he didn't believe me. It took well over 10 mins to convince him it was true. Needless to say, I covered the parts for the repairs and did the labor myself, but I was totally embarassed to have dropped someone's "new" bike before they even knew they had it.

S

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis
    I rode a Yamaha once. Embarrassed the hell out of me needless to say
    Speaking of riding embarrassing bikes:

I bought an used 82 KZ750 when I was a kid. The old man that owned it had put ape hangers on. It was about a week before I could get to the boneyard to find some flat bars. The looks other riders give you, riding a UJM with ape hangers, still sticks in my mind.

I was at the intersection of Colorado Blvd and Mississippi waiting for the green light with my first sportbike when a beautiful police woman pulled up next to me I was trying to act cool and had my helmet off, was checking my cell phone, she smiled I smiled back and when the light turned green I had to try to put my helmet on quickly and move into traffic in doing so I lost my balance and the bike fell over, she was laughing as were most of the others as they pulled away I was left trying to pick the bike up by myself. I did manage to get it up and out of traffic however I learned never ever to take my helmet off at an intersection or do any other noob thing while in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy
    Back in the dark ages known as the 70's, we rode our dirt bikes to the riding areas. I was making time along the side of a golf course and hit a drainage ditch. The bike came to an abrupt stop…I didn’t. When I picked myself up, I noticed a couple of golfers laughing at me. Actually, it was pretty funny. And Scruff Dog, that was me on the bicycle that nearly passed your sorry ass.

So thats who it was. I didn't know anyone could haul ass like that on a bicycle. It was quite a sight, especially with that speedo you were wearing with part of the butt ripped out.

2005 Yamaha R1
    2001 Corvette Z06

Every time I've been to the track has been the most embarrassing story I've ever had.

...Oh, and once I went on a ride with some guy named Brizz.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Now what?

Whatever you damn well feel like.
    Proud pilot of the one and only 1994 Kaw EX500 "Failstrom" adventure-mo-dealie!

IBA# 20672

Parked my bike on a downslope with a beautiful background. Went to take a picture of it and the wind slapped it over right before I hit the clicker. Was rolling and waited till I was 2 steps away and BAM...I pick it up and 2 seconds later a Harley guys rides up and says nice bike...On the left side...lol
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Ok, this will show how stupid I was, but anyways....was 18 and had been riding maybe 2-3 months. Meeting up with a big group of people (40-50) to go cruising late one night, and I was the last to show and decided, since I didn't know anyone, to show off and pull a wheelie past everyone. Did that, got the attention, pulled the bike in, took off helmet and shook out hair (had everyones attention at this point as I was the only girl there), got off the bike, realized shoe lace was tangled up in kickstand, tripped and fell on face. BRILLIANT! Needless to say, that is why riding boots are so much better (well, that, and not being an attention whore).
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Mel...

So far I think you're winning.....

Wouldn't you just love to have video of all these different tip overs and fall on your face accidents.
    2005 Yamaha R1
    2001 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch
    Ok, this will show how stupid I was, but anyways....was 18 and had been riding maybe 2-3 months. Meeting up with a big group of people (40-50) to go cruising late one night, and I was the last to show and decided, since I didn't know anyone, to show off and pull a wheelie past everyone. Did that, got the attention, pulled the bike in, took off helmet and shook out hair (had everyones attention at this point as I was the only girl there), got off the bike, realized shoe lace was tangled up in kickstand, tripped and fell on face. BRILLIANT! Needless to say, that is why riding boots are so much better (well, that, and not being an attention whore).
    Well, I have to add a story, since this reminded me....Basically, I did the exact same thing (minus the wheelie). My shoelace caught on my heel guard as I pulled up to a stop at a red light and I fell over....I was about 4th in line in a group of about 30 bikes cruising in Fort Collins
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruff Dog
    Wouldn't you just love to have video of all these different tip overs and fall on your face accidents.
    God, no....just remembering them is bad enough!
    The GECCO

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scruff Dog

FUCK NO! I still dread the times that I run into someone from my stupid days who starts the convo with "Hey, aren't you that chic who...."
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

I can't believe I'm telling this. Anyway, I have been riding since I was 5. Never just dropped a bike before(wrecked but not dropped).... BUT.... one day the girls and I go out on the town. I am the only one riding so I throw my high heels and skirt in one of the other girls car. When we get there I trade them out... We go into the place to party for a while and all decide to head to another club. I stood at the door waiting for the one girl who has my stuff in her car to walk aout. As it turns out she had already left with all my stuff to the next club. SO... in mini skirt and 4inch heels I drove to the next place. when I get there I go to put the stand down and misjudge because I have heels.... I go to get off and BOOM!!!! the bike falls to the left. Everyone runs over to lift my bike cuz I got the "I can't believe I just fuck'n did that" expression on my face and don't move. I rant and rave at the girl for taking off with my shit and she appologizes. That's not bad enough... cuz the next week we show up to the same club. I park my bike and as I walk in the bouncer says.. "hey it's the chick who drops her bike!" I told him the whole heel thing...blah blah blah. when we leave everyone comes out and says..."hey...we're watching to see if you do it again!" "ha ha" i say.....get on and try to turn the bike downhill....before I'm in gear.... and you guess it....sigh. That, my dear friends is embarassment.
    Hey! I'm unique... just like everybody else

I was riding home to the Springs on my Ducati (996s) from Montrose and I stopped in Hartsel to get some bad food. Anyway, the place was full of 1 percenters and they were all sitting out on the deck overlooking the road. I got my samich ate it, and took off. As I started to go back on to the road, the bike made a cough and stalled just as I was turning. I held the bike up for as long as I could but dropped it on the low side. Jumped off, picked it back up, hopped back on and took off. I just know they were laughing their asses off.

I raced MX in my teen years and always seemed to get a bad start. Not this day. Pulled the best hole-shot of my life, a good two bike lengths on everyone…and promptly shifted into neutral. The field literally ran over me. Another bike ended up on top of me and the chain nearly ripped my leathers off. I had jeans on underneath so I didn’t get hurt and actually raced the next moto in my jeans…and I started in second gear!
    John
    KTM Duke 690

One of my first jobs was working as a shop boy for RINK A DINKS Yamaha in lakewood, pushing brooms, washing bikes etc. They use to store their bikes on the second level which had a steep metal ramp.

One day I was asked to bring down a Flat Track Race Bike, noticing that all the mechanics and sales guys were gathinering outside, I just figured that this must be some hell of a bike, not knowing at that time that Flat Track Bikes had no brakes, I sooned learned why everyone gathered outside to watch me ride down the ramp.
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles