Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now What?

Now What?

Has your definition of "sporty" changed since hiting the big 4-0?

I woke up today with an urge to go chase kids off of my lawn...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Now what?

Whatever you damn well feel like.
    Proud pilot of the one and only 1994 Kaw EX500 "Failstrom" adventure-mo-dealie!

IBA# 20672

Re: Now What?

My first choice I riding gear is no longer leather.

MRA Racer No.427

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

My hemorrhoids take precedence over Iron Butt rides.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Say... that Goldwing looks pretty good.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

You start considering heated, anything.

MRA Racer No.427

automatic chain lube a la exxon valdez on 2 wheels!
    bus_henry AARP
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

Happy bday in that case. It only goes downhill from here! Huh Dean.
    I have been severly limited in my twilght years.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Same here.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Naw, the definition doesn't change. You just have to stop for a piss more often.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    Has your definition of "sporty" changed since hiting the big 4-0?

I woke up today with an urge to go chase kids off of my lawn...

I find as the gray hair starts to infiltrate,
    the time goes by much quicker,
    and the younger get to be much more annoying.

Congrats on passing 4 decades of life PharmerKyle!

Bash
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    .........and the younger get to be much more annoying.

And the freakin' music is too loud!!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Now what?

And no, the definition of "sporty" has not changed for me.

One thing that becomes a whole lot more clear as time goes by is the idea that many things in life truly are your choice.

Some things are not...losing both my brother and grandmother in the months before my 30th birthday kinda let that day slip by almost completely unnoticed. Going through a divorce in the months before my 40th birthday kinda had the same effect. But, you can be damn well certain that my 50th is gonna be nothing like the previous two milestones.

Looking forward to each day is that much more sweet.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

So what was sporty back in the day???

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    My first choice in riding gear is no longer leather.
    Word! My aging shoulders get tired of fighting a two front war between the leather and the bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    My hemorrhoids take precedence over Iron Butt rides.
    Heed the elders, Corbin seats and monkeybutt powder rule!
    Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Say... that Goldwing looks pretty good.
    Yeah, the ST2 is just an Italian middleweight compromise on the way to Goldwingdom.
    Now what?

IBA# 20672

More FOG confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    You start considering heated, anything.
    BTDT... then my skin lost all feeling. I seldom wear coats when not on 2 wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by towneh View Post
    automatic chain lube a la exxon valdez on 2 wheels!
    bus_henry AARP
    I hear you. The last time I stooped down to lube a chain, my life passed before my eyes on the way back up. There has to be a better way.
    Happy bday in that case. It only goes downhill from here! Huh Dean.
    I see where you're going (showoff!), but I think "sporty" and "competitive" are just overlapping sets. I'm sure you'll always have a competitive streak, but I've noticed your tastes changing over the years as well.

I can look at an R1 and think "fast" but not necessarily "fun", for example.
    Now what?

IBA# 20672

Re: More FOG confessions

I see where you're going (showoff!), but I think "sporty" and "competitive" are just overlapping sets. I'm sure you'll always have a competitive streak, but I've noticed your tastes changing over the years as well.

I can look at an R1 and think "fast" but not necessarily "fun", for example.
    When I show up on a Ninja 250 then you can tell me I am old

My limits were met long before 40

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Same here.

Dirk
    Don't get me wrong. I know for sure that my experience and age add to the concept of "capability", I guess it's just that my interests in what I want to be capable of are changing.

I've spent enough time at the track and in classes to know my limits. I have great admiriation for those of you who race, but my mind's wiring is just too inhibited for that venue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Vess View Post
    Naw, the definition doesn't change. You just have to stop for a piss more often.
    I like this. It's almost good enough for a sig line or a birthday card. Kudos!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    I find as the gray hair starts to infiltrate,
    the time goes by much quicker,
    and the younger get to be much more annoying.

Congrats on passing 4 decades of life PharmerKyle!

Bash
    My aging Greyhound, Bernard, definitely agees. He loves people and older dogs, but puppies always make him growl & show teeth. Thanks goodness for having our own little subforum.
    Now what?

IBA# 20672

In my case I would say my tastes have not changed as much as sportbikes have changed. If they still built bikes like Honda and Kawasaki did 8 - 10 years ago (think F4i, 954, ZX6 (pre636) and ZX9) I would still be riding a pure sportbike. It is possible to have sport performance with a measure of comfort. Sportbikes now are racebikes with lights so initially I went pure naked - Aprilia Tuono, Z1000 but the desire for a fairing brought me to the VFR800 which is still very sporting despite the availability of saddlebags

Whoa, Kathy speaks.

And the freakin' music is too loud!!
    Now that I'm older, the voices in my head are much more civil. I don't need thumpin' bass or Remus pipes to drown them out.
    When I show up on a Ninja 250 then you can tell me I am old
    See, I saw that post of yours on the $3K thread and couldn't tell if you were kidding. This is the way I'm drifting as well. Less plate, insurance and maintenance money lost per unit of free time to actually ride!
    Now what?

And no, the definition of "sporty" has not changed for me.

One thing that becomes a whole lot more clear as time goes by is the idea that many things in life truly are your choice.

Some things are not...losing both my brother and grandmother in the months before my 30th birthday kinda let that day slip by almost completely unnoticed. Going through a divorce in the months before my 40th birthday kinda had the same effect. But, you can be damn well certain that my 50th is gonna be nothing like the previous two milestones.

Looking forward to each day is that much more sweet.
    Sorry to hear about your past milestones. Mine's been drowned out by work and a few other events. I think my revised goal will be to celebrate my 42nd with a Hitchhiker's Guide theme.

And yes, of course, you are right about the choices. My choices in what and how I ride have come only as a byproduct of age, not age itself. The experiences I've accrued and finding out what I like and don't are what shape my def. of "sporty". The current version's manifestation is still in daydream form, but may be ready by this year's BN&P ride.
    Now what?

IBA# 20672

drag knee or be upright?

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    In my case I would say my tastes have not changed as much as sportbikes have changed. If they still built bikes like Honda and Kawasaki did 8 - 10 years ago (think F4i, 954, ZX6 (pre636) and ZX9) I would still be riding a pure sportbike. It is possible to have sport performance with a measure of comfort. Sportbikes now are racebikes with lights so initially I went pure naked - Aprilia Tuono, Z1000 but the desire for a fairing brought me to the VFR800 which is still very sporting despite the availability of saddlebags
    Good point. There are DS bikes out now that could outrun some of the sportbikes of the 80s.

Comfort and ergonomics seem to be more of a question of riding style than age. The difference is essentially that of which you want to conquer, a single corner at sickest speed, or largest geographical area.

So what is "sporty"? Is it strictly a look or a body position that equates to racing? Does riding upright vs. prone position automatically translate to non-sporty?
    Now what?

IBA# 20672

Re: drag knee or be upright?

So what is "sporty"? Is it strictly a look or a body position that equates to racing? Does riding upright vs. prone position automatically translate to non-sporty?
    DIA

(Do it all!)

DIA

(Do it all!)
    Good plan
    Now what?

IBA# 20672

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Same here.
    Dirk
    Same here, same here.

I'm enjoying my riding more than ever. Trying harder at the track. Relaxing more on the street (the pace??), taking in more of the surroundings. Slowing down and having a good look around while riding the old BM has its place, too.

That said, I wish I'd started racing 25 years ago, rather than this year at 43

Good point. There are DS bikes out now that could outrun some of the sportbikes of the 80s.

Comfort and ergonomics seem to be more of a question of riding style than age. The difference is essentially that of which you want to conquer, a single corner at sickest speed, or largest geographical area.

I can agree with your second statement, I am definitly more or the largest geographical area type even though I may do it in excess of the posted limit and without sparing much of my tires Sport bikes of the 90s and very early 00s just fit my style and comfort requirements quite well. The highest average miles per day trip I have done was 2600 miles in 6 days, it would have been 3000 if snow in the Canadian Rockies hadn't interfered and I was ready to do more if I didn't have to get back to work. This was on a 2000 ZX-9

To me sporty is more of how you ride and enjoy your bike. Having a sportbike to cruise LoDo on friday night is NOT sporty, while running a good pace in a canyon on a naked and smiling IS sporty

Well, a few months past my 48th birthday I bought a new 08 Kawi ZX10R. I've still got the 03 KTM 520 EXC too. It took a few days for the body get used to the riding position on the Kawi, I don't think thats age related. The denial part might be though...
    Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.