I am looking for a little advice from those of you who have toured (1000+ mile trips) extensively. At this point most of my questions are geared towards the bike itself, specifically using a sportbike for such trips. In my quest for information all I seem to find is information related to Harleys, VFR’s or BMW GS’s for longer trips.
Has anyone here attempted cross-country trips on a sportbike? If so what was your experience? More importantly, would you do it again or use a different bike? What advice would you give to others who are contemplating such a journey?
To provide you a little context I have been planning a roughly 4K mile journey for the past two years to take place this coming August. The trip will take right at a month and utilize mostly semi-primitive campgrounds (e.g. tent camping at a KOA, B&B’s, and camp cabins). I am also planning to purchase a new bike in the next 60 days that will be used for general-purpose riding, spirited canyon rides and this trip. I do not want to purchase a bike that would only be good at touring and leave me longing for something more for the everyday riding I will do the rest of the year, hence my desire to tour on a sportbike (specifically a S1000RR)
Any information or advice is appreciated.
Joe