The other thread about the superbike multipication got me thinking about this subject.
D & H Charges, or Delivery and Handling charges are an extra fee imposed by dealerships to incure more profit. They are not required by law and are not the same from dealer to dealer. Some dealers charge D & H charges and a Freight charge as well. They say it is what the manufactor charges them to get it to the dealers place of business. This fee varies wildly from place to place, from zero fees to over $800 dollars at a local motorcycle dealership.
So my question to you is this.
Is it reasonable to have a D & H charge?
What is a reasonable amount if in fact it is reasonable at all?
Is it reasonable to charge freight along with D & H fees?
Keep in mind the retail pricing on all vehicles has a built in profit for the dealer already. Also some states have a capped dollar amount, Cali is $45 on leased deals and $55 on buy deals. Texas is also capped @ $50.
What exactly are you getting for these fee's, extra care in the handling of the transaction, or just the warm fuzzy feeling for giving them your money for nothing in return?
Don't confuse this charge with any taxes that are due. That is a completely different issue.
These fee's are really just a way to increase a dealers profits IMO.
I feel it says if I am buying a vehicle and I agree to pay the fee's, that I am a sucker for the privelage for them to sell me that vehicle. In these times where money is tighter and purchases must be scrutineered, I think we as consumers should stand up and make a stand. I will activly seek out a dealer who would rather sell me a vehicle for a less profit rather than get greedy and stick me with these BS charges and fees.
Your thoughts?