Thread: Back in the saddle again...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Back in the saddle again...

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for advise. I'm a pretty big guy... 6'2" and 260ish pounds. I'm thinking about getting back into riding again after a dozen years without a bike. I have about a dozen years before that of using a bike as my 90 percent of the time vehicle. My last bike was a '96 VFR750 that I bought new.

I've decided to get back on two wheels again and am considering what I want to do with a $2000 to $3000 budget. My primary concern is fuel savings (min 50+mpg but the more the better), but I also want to have some fun in the twisties if I can. I'll primarily be using the bike as a short commuter, about 50-60 miles a week during the week. I will probably be picking up a second bike (sport touring most likely) in a year or two for more serious riding.

I've considered a scooter... but man... well you know.

Then I was thinking about a Ninja250, or something like it, but I'm concerned that I may be expecting too much from it in moving my weight around.

So I'd like opinions about the Ninja suitability, and suggestions on other rides I should consider. I haven't really taken anything for a spin yet since starting this train of thought.

Thanks,
    -David
    Last edited by David; Thu Jul 19th, 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Because I can't leave well enough alone