Ok, I don't usually go on group rides. It's usually solo, or with maybe 3 friends tops. I find it to be much more cohesive because it's easier to get 4 people of about the same speed, riding style, and temperment, than a big group. Add to the speed and style difference, the issues of everyone having to piss or eat or whatever at different times, and you get the picture.

Recently, I had the pleasure of going on a group ride with Jefe and Anne (Thanks!), Chris and Bonnie, and Bill and Suzy (if I remember correctly, sorry, I'm TERRIBLE at names!), and a bunch of other people.

My suggestion for sweepers is this: People that organize rides, should have everyone chip in and buy a couple florescent safety vests, in 2 or more different colors if possible. The sweeper for each group (fast, medium, slow, etc.) wears the vest. That way the leader of the group doesn't have to try and count heads, they know that the last person in the group is ALWAYS going to be the rider in the (whatever color) vest. They see all the colored vests, and they know everyone is accounted for.

Thoughts? Discuss!