Thread: Close Call Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Close Call Thread

I had a similar experience a year or so ago in I25- That is when I started using ALL 5 senses while riding. We were goin along, about like you, 65-70mph when I smell hot brakes. I was thinking about why I would smell hot brakes or what else it could be, but all of the sudden traffic just stopped. I jammed on the brakes and when I glanced in my rear view, I saw an F350 with a service bed on it behind me. Luckily he stopped, cuz I chose to stay in the lane..... I would just be aware that the reason people slammed on their brakes might be a state patrol or etc in the break down lane.

Re: Close Call Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tarded400 View Post
    I had a similar experience a year or so ago in I25- That is when I started using ALL 5 senses while riding. We were goin along, about like you, 65-70mph when I smell hot brakes. I was thinking about why I would smell hot brakes or what else it could be, but all of the sudden traffic just stopped. I jammed on the brakes and when I glanced in my rear view, I saw an F350 with a service bed on it behind me. Luckily he stopped, cuz I chose to stay in the lane..... I would just be aware that the reason people slammed on their brakes might be a state patrol or etc in the break down lane.
    A few years ago in the northern Virginia area during the sniper shootings, I recall going home and seeing a pair of motorcycle cops riding on the shoulder going in the opposite direction (heading towards us on either shoulder).

When I got home, I saw on the news that there had been a shooting near the Springfield exit of 95 and they were heading to the shooting. And the cop that was on the bike in the right shoulder had been killed by a tow truck that had pulled into the shoulder in front of the moving cop.

While it didn't say it, I've seen thing like what you're saying where folks who aren't paying attention suddenly pull into the shoulder because they were following too close to react. In this case I think someone ahead of the tow truck driver saw the oncoming cops and hit the brakes. Since they weren't paying attention, they swerved into the shoulder to avoid an accident and the cop just happened to be right there and was killed in a head on.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!