Thread: HID conversions?

HID conversions?

I found a lead on some "cheap" HID headlight kits. There is a lot of talk on the BMW forums about them. http://vvme.com/catalog/list-s-10145-10146.html

Anyone have experience with HIDs on regular headlights before? By regular I mean non-projector beam. Like the H4 I have on my SV. I have heard that the reflectors on normal lamps mess up the beam and causes glare for oncoming drivers. I want more light but not at the cost of blinding oncoming traffic. If so I will just go get a set of Silverstars for $20 or so.

I may put one on the Gixxer, b/c I *think* the low beam is a projector bulb.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Re: HID conversions?

you are correct. the glare is horrible and in fact can even blind drivers. If you can mount them in a projector housing and get it set so that you have a clean line with the light then you would be ok. But that costs money, and most arnt willing to do that
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Re: HID conversions?

If you are considering HID, find one that says "retrofit" instead of "conversion". The retrofitted ones most likely come with their own reflector thats designed for that type of bulb.... if you get a generic conversion kit, you will more than likely not be as satisfied.

06 DR650SE