Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
This is exactly what I've heard. I think it's a very good rule of thumb to use. I know I tend to be wayyyy overly cautious riding up in the hills in the winter time. I freak out when I see the white powder of left over mag chloride and I am always wary of canyon roads that tend to get mostly shade in the winter.

Summer time is a bit different for me and as my riding buddies will attest too, I've got more balls than I should have when I ride...but, I am no where close to other riders out there...those whom I've ridden with in the past and have helped me to improve my riding technique both on the track and in the mountains.
I missed one important part. Even if you’re riding at 50-70% you NEED TO ACT as if you are riding at 100%.
Case in point this fall I was being lazy into a corner at what I thought was about 50% ability. Then the ass stepped out (which has happened dozens of times at the track) and instead of holding my line and throttle position I panicked and managed to high side in what would have normally been a casual corner. Over confidence in this case was detrimental to my well being. haha