Thread: Looking at getting a bike

Looking at getting a bike

So I almost have my wife talked into letting me get another bike. I'm looking at either an FZ1, VFR, Bandit, or possibly a Blackbird. I'm just wondering what everybody's opinions on these bikes is. I'm also wondering about comfort, gas mileage, and long haul ability.

I commute about 70 miles round trip everyday for work, and enjoy long rides on the weekend. Also need it to be reasonably comfortable for a passenger as well.

Thanks in advance for everybody's help in picking out a bike.
    Drew

1991 Honda CBR1000F

Currently wrecked and in the garage waiting for parts.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Looking at getting a bike

I have an '07 VFR and I find it pretty comfortable. Gas mileage when cruising down the highway is about 50+ mpg, 45 mpg around town, 40 if hauling in the twisties. You can get hard side and top bags. Being 800cc, it doesn't have the grunt that a literbike does but it's still decent even two-up. If you are going to do long distance, two-up a lot, I'd look at the Blackbird or ST.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmm VFR.
    I am dreaming of my next VFR, needing the CBR to sell, so I can go back to VIFFER goodness. My commute was 70 miles round trip and the CBR was too aggressive for me, but I am a FOG.

Ride a VFR and decide for yourself. The V4 is magical.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

I am a bit biased, but Triumph makes a nice 2-up sport tourer

gets 45 mpg in town, 53 on the highway, and somewhere in between in the twisties. The newer ones have higher bars, similar to an FZ1.

And the triple just sounds amazing...

good luck!

Member Lifetime Supporter CBRSue's Avatar

I hope your wife gives you the green light!!!

VFR, VFR, VFR!!! Dirk let me ride his bike a couple of times , and it is super comfy! And the Blackbird looks sweet. Can you tell I love Hondas?
    Susan

Drew,
    Another Triumph vote
    Before I got my bike I was looking at the same list of bikes you stated. Then I rode my Sprint and it was game over for the rest.
    Triple engine character is classic, torque like a twin with the revs of a four cyl. One of the best road engines EVER. Mileage in high 40's, even hit 59.7mpg on a flat run out to Ft. Morgan running steady 70ish.
    As for two-upness, consider my wife only rode two miles on the back of a buddys R1 before wanting to switch back (actually it took the two miles to get pulled over, she wanted to switch after about 1/2m).

Oh yeah, commuted on mine from Loveland to Boulder, 65-70 mile round trip for over five years (still would be but no job anymore).
    Also, have done a couple 500+ mile days, a bunch of 350ish mile days and zero problems in excellent comfort.
    Last edited by BigE; Thu Apr 2nd, 2009 at 11:22 AM.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

I went from my 87 VFR to an 01 FZ1 about a year and a half ago. I still love my old girl, but the FZ is a far better bike in almost every respect (except character). My commute is about 29 miles each way, 6 days a week. I get an average of 50 mpg, at an average speed of (go to jail) mph. I have put a little over 16000 miles on it in the last 14 months, getting almost 11k out of the original tires. Riding position is almost CSP textbook, except for enough forward lean to lend it some sporting quality.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Rc51
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Rc51
    Would that really be a good long haul bike? I love the look of them, just not sure if it would suit my needs. Do you have any experience with them?

I'm still pretty open at this point. So throw some bikes out there that I should check out.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.
    Drew

1991 Honda CBR1000F

I was only kidding RC's have very hard seats and are not good for long hauls from what I am told. Rode my friends a while back and I love that bike wish I had one.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

I went by Sun on the way home from work and they have several VFR's in stock. They have an 04, 06, 07, and an 08. I really like the look of the VFR's, just not sure how the 800cc will handle the occasional 2up riding. It will be me going back and forth to work the most, so if it doesn't to 2up very well that's ok, it won't be doing it often.
    Drew

1991 Honda CBR1000F

Quote Originally Posted by cdrewferd View Post
    I went by Sun on the way home from work and they have several VFR's in stock. They have an 04, 06, 07, and an 08. I really like the look of the VFR's, just not sure how the 800cc will handle the occasional 2up riding. It will be me going back and forth to work the most, so if it doesn't to 2up very well that's ok, it won't be doing it often.
    The VFR is fine at occasional 2-up riding. They tweaked the VTEC engagement in the 06+ bikes to make it smoother (plus some electrical upgrades) so if you have a choice try to go with one of them, if you do decide on the VFR.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    The VFR is fine at occasional 2-up riding. They tweaked the VTEC engagement in the 06+ bikes to make it smoother (plus some electrical upgrades) so if you have a choice try to go with one of them, if you do decide on the VFR.

Dirk
    Thanks for the info Dirk. Do you happen to know if there is anywhere in Denver that rents VFR's? I would like to ride them, but Sun said they don't allow test rides because they are considered sportbikes.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice.
    Drew

1991 Honda CBR1000F

Thanks for the info Dirk. Do you happen to know if there is anywhere in Denver that rents VFR's? I would like to ride them, but Sun said they don't allow test rides because they are considered sportbikes.

I keep telling DK he needs to have one in the rental stable at Colorado Sportbike rentals. I'm not sure if anyone else rents them. I know that Colorado Powersports in Boulder has two of the white '06 models and at least one is the ABS version. PM Dave Strain (Spicee Brown) and see if they'll let you take one for a spin.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

I really like the look of the VFR's, just not sure how the 800cc will handle the occasional 2up riding. It will be me going back and forth to work the most, so if it doesn't to 2up very well that's ok, it won't be doing it often.
    +1 With Dirk. The VFR would handle it fine. I personally think it's a misconception that 600's aren't good for 2 passengers. I'm not saying they're the best, because you notice it in the acceleration response. However, I've never had a hard time doing a "spirited" canyon run 2 up on mine. I've even gotten passed on the track multiple times by someone doing 2up on a 600. Maybe focus more on how the seat is for the passenger.

I took the gf 2up up Bear Creek and down Deer Creek a couple of weeks ago on the 250, granted she is small but I'm not, there wasn't a lot of passing going on but I think an 800 oughta do fine

These guys say they have a VFR for rent.
    http://www.tourbikes.com/bikes.html
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...