Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best tires for dual sport in CO

Re: Best tires for dual sport in CO

Quote Originally Posted by Doron&Katie View Post
    Just buy my bike, it comes with bridgstone trailwings.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2171218045.html
    Nice bike, but I am looking at 650+ bikes. Not too small, not too big... just right.

doesn't get any cleaner than this one right here. I get 50mpg on mine

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcd/2210970257.html
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

You're gonna love exploring Colorado.

I have a Beemer F650GS that sees about 20% dirt and mostly commuting on pavement. I run Metzler Tourance on.

They do ok on most of the fire roads but make the bike really loose at places were the gravel is deep. I can't keep up with the more trail oriented tires. OTOH it doesn't shake me to pieces at 80mph on the freeway. Thinking when I wear through my current set I might go a bit more aggressive on the knobs.

As for bike fishing, I found a collapsible spin casting setup that was for backpacking, and just bungee it to the back of the bike.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I have a Beemer F650GS that sees about 20% dirt and mostly commuting on pavement. I run Metzler Tourance on.

They do ok on most of the fire roads but make the bike really loose at places were the gravel is deep. I can't keep up with the more trail oriented tires. OTOH it doesn't shake me to pieces at 80mph on the freeway. Thinking when I wear through my current set I might go a bit more aggressive on the knobs.

As for bike fishing, I found a collapsible spin casting setup that was for backpacking, and just bungee it to the back of the bike.
    That is what I am hoping to get. I've seen used ones for fair prices. How do the Beemers feel on trails and fire roads? Heavy?

I am looking at the Beemer because I know I'll spend 80% or more of my time on pavement or smooth gravel. Plus, I'd love to be able to lug my wife along with me from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doron&Katie View Post
    You're gonna love exploring Colorado.

I do a fair bit of exploring CO now... but unless I hang my head out the window I don't think I am getting near the experience that you all are.

Quote Originally Posted by Trental View Post
    That is what I am hoping to get. I've seen used ones for fair prices. How do the Beemers feel on trails and fire roads? Heavy?

I am looking at the Beemer because I know I'll spend 80% or more of my time on pavement or smooth gravel. Plus, I'd love to be able to lug my wife along with me from time to time.
    The Beemer is a pig on singletrack, but on most of the forest roads here it's fine. I went on a ride on time thinking it would be fire roads and double track jeep trails, but we did a wrong turn onto some gnarly singletrack with boulders and sh#t. After you drop the bike for the 3rd time and try to pick it up, you'd wish you had a 250.

Big duallies like the GS, KLR650, V-strom, and Multi-strada are really only for occasional dirt road and smooth trail use. Just watch Long Way Round and see how those big bikes suck in the gnarly trails.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Thanks for the info.

I've never heard of that movie but I'll check it out. Looks good.

The KLR650 and GS are the top two on my list right now. I don't really see myself doing any serious trail riding. Like you said, fire roads and Jeep trails.

Would love to do some camping and fishing from the bike.
    Last edited by Trental; Fri Feb 25th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks for the info.

I've never heard of that movie but I'll check it out. Looks good.
    Really??! What??!! You really ARE a noob! Long Way Round with Ewan (Obi Wan) McGregor-rrrr, one of the movies that started this whole dual sport adventure trend.

The KLR650 and GS are the top two on my list right now. I don't really see myself doing any serious trail riding. Like you said, fire roads and Jeep trails.

Would love to do some camping and fishing from the bike.
    Keep an eye on the forums, Rampart Range Rd usually opens up the earliest in the spring.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Really??! What??!! You really ARE a noob! Long Way Round with Ewan (Obi Wan) McGregor-rrrr, one of the movies that started this whole dual sport adventure trend.

Dang, I thought I was gonna slip under the noob radar.

I just added Long Way Round and Long Way Down to my Netflix queue. Better be good! haha.

Wife just added another stipulation. I get a bike... she gets a 2nd dog.
    Last edited by Trental; Fri Feb 25th, 2011 at 09:47 PM.

Dang, I thought I was gonna slip under the noob radar.

I just added Long Way Round and Long Way Down to my Netflix queue. Better be good! haha.

Wife just added another stipulation. I get a bike... she gets a 2nd dog.
    I've been riding dirtbikes for 42 years and have never seen any of those movies, and I think I have a logon to ADV but I have no idea what it is.

The best advise I can give is get your wife the dog, but adopt an older dog 'cause puppies are a PIA!

+1

My wife told me she wanted a dog before we got married. I said we're adopting 'cause I don't want to deal with the poo. We lucked out big time though with a yellow lab/golden mix. He was only a year old and obviously had some advanced training. From day one he wouldn't beg, jump on the couch or the bed, always came when you called him and never barked. First dog I've ever had that I could say "Go lay down!" to and he'd actually go and lay down... Plus he's a big happy puppy, but he still won't jump on you when you come home, he just kind of pops up on his hind legs in front of you but won't actually jump ON you.

Sadly, only took my wife a few months to break him of many of his better habits.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*