Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to wear

What to wear

I tried searching the forums for an appropriate thread that already exists, but failed to find one, and so I apologize in advance if this has been brought up before.

I'll be a new rider to the area come May and I'm really looking forward to a lot of "Canyon Carving". When I ride I wear a full face helmet, gloves, mesh jacket with elbow and spine protector, jeans, and riding boots. It does the job, but I don't think i would feel comfortable in the mountains with that type of gear.

I'm interested in what people wear and what is considered "appropriate" by most people.

Thank you
    "Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame" - Benjamin Franklin

SV650

Re: What to wear

Quote Originally Posted by Finklestein87 View Post
    When I ride I wear a full face helmet, gloves, mesh jacket with elbow and spine protector, jeans, and riding boots. It does the job
    Have you crashed in this gear? What do yo mean by it does the job?

I wear leather most of the time, the cold months are Heavy textile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Good point. Second day of riding I followed an expierenced group into some twisties and low sided on one of the first turns... (LOTS of lessons learned that day.)

I had a little road rash on my side where my jacket came up.

SV650

Have you been to a MSF course? That's where you should start if you haven't, and then worry about gear.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

For basic protection on group rides people better have at least helmet, gloves, and some form of chest protection. I suggest a full jacket and boots that cover the ankle as well, but leather/textile pants aren't necessary.

In the mountains this early in the season there is a temperature difference 3,000 ft. higher up. So that mesh jacket and gloves might be a bit chilly. For cold weather I have a helmet, hoodie, leather jacket with liner, cold-weather gloves, long underwear, jeans, long socks, and boots.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    Have you been to a MSF course? That's where you should start if you haven't, and then worry about gear.
    +1 on the course. I was foolish and bought my bike (a 250 mind you) about 2 weeks before I started the course. Rode it for several hours on Saturday(the day i bought it) and Sunday morning is when I saw the group and followed them to Madison, WI where i ultimately crashed and had to ride an hour and half home with my tail between my legs.

That was last year June and since then I would like to think i've learned some important lessons, and after spending some time browsing these forums, I am really looking forward to meeting the people here and think I will be able to learn A LOT.

Thanks again for your input everyone

SV650

I just don't think leather is in this season...

Leather is always in!

but in all seriousness...there are a bunch of cliche sayings that are totally true..."dress for the crash, not the ride" and "sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't"

this is a breakdown of what I wear...
    relaxed paced trips to bike nights and such: armored textile jacket, armored leather gloves, over ankle riding boots, heavy jeans

touring/camping trips: armored textile jacket, armored leather gloves/rain gloves, over ankle riding boots, jeans and armored textile overpants

Canyon Carving: armored textile jacket/leather jacket, armored leather gloves, the best riding boots money can buy, leather bottoms, back protector

Honestly, wear the best gear you can afford...when I was first getting started I got most of my gear second hand. (minus helmets) Its a good way to pick up quality gear while not going broke
    Last edited by OUTLAWD; Mon Apr 4th, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    Honestly, wear the best gear you can afford...when I was first getting started I got most of my gear second hand. (minus helmets) Its a good way to ick up quality gear while not going broke
    Thanks for the tip!

SV650

Quote Originally Posted by Finklestein87 View Post
    I tried searching the forums for an appropriate thread that already exists, but failed to find one, and so I apologize in advance if this has been brought up before.

I'll be a new rider to the area come May and I'm really looking forward to a lot of "Canyon Carving". When I ride I wear a full face helmet, gloves, mesh jacket with elbow and spine protector, jeans, and riding boots. It does the job, but I don't think i would feel comfortable in the mountains with that type of gear.

I'm interested in what people wear and what is considered "appropriate" by most people.

Thank you
    The vast majority of people that come out for the canyon rides have nice helmets, armored leather or textile jackets, leather armored gloves, jeans or kevlar armored jeans and over the ankle riding boots of some variety.

Would a one piece Dianese suit, gaunlet gloves, and Sidi boots protect better.... yes.... but is it practical (cost or just around town use).... no.

Vellos is spot on with the temp difference. A jacket with plenty of vents that you can close is always nice.... keep them closed in the morning hours and open those puppies up as the day warms.

Canyon carving, spirited pace: Leather two piece or one piece suit, back protector, full face helmet, leather gauntlet gloves, race boots. Basically the same setup as for the track. Downside: you look like a power ranger at lunch spots and makes it a bit difficult to be inconspicuous.

Twisties, relaxed pace: Leather or textile armored jacket, find one that snaps or attaches to belt loops or textile riding pants. Armored or heavy jeans, race boots, leather gloves. Textile and textile touring jackets (3/4 length) are versatile enough in this environment because you can choose layers to add or remove and is somewhat waterproof.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Hey Fink, welcome to some of the best riding in the country! I think what you're wearing is not bad. I wear a leather jacket instead of the mesh but that's just my personal preference. At least you're wearing a jacket with armor protection. Like you, I too wear jeans but I have the Forcefield armor pants underneath. I feel much more confident of my overall protection with these on. I also own a pair of the Bohn armor pants but tend to wear the Forcefields more. The armor stays in the right places a little better and is much beefier as well. The Bohns are less visible under jeans and are not quite as hot in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    The Bohns are less visible under jeans and are not quite as hot in the summer.
    is that a Bohn in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

I wear leather most of the time, the cold months are Heavy textile.
    +1 on what he said.

Around town or more casual riding, I'll wear denim motorcycle pants. I want to switch to a separate armor underlayer like GuitarX has, to go under the denim riding pants.

For me its ounce of prevention vs. a pound or many pounds of cure. I value my legs as well as the rest of my body and I don't want to try to avoid some of the leg injuries I've seen others have over the years. I've actually had people (other riders) make fun of my leather pants from time to time. They may not look that good but I enjoy riding in the canyons a lot more when I'm wearing them.

Modern motorcycle gear is soooooo much better than it was years ago. Much better protection. Better designs and vastly improved comfort. A lot more choices on what to wear.

I just bought A-Stars A10 textile/leather pants and a textile waterproof jacket. They zip together with a full zip. Got them for my Alaska trip, but will prob wear them in the canyons. I always wear a gauntlet style glove and riding boots.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Thanks everyone for your input, looks like leather is the way to go. I was amazed at how much a little road rash on my side hurt, and would NOT want to go through that again, anywhere on my body! After really thinking about it, I should have been able to answer this myself (get the best i can afford) but its still nice to get input, and you guys have been really helpful.

SV650

Keep an eye on 303 sales... they blow out some great leather for really good prices every once in a while.

Also, http://www.motorcyclegear.com aka New Enough... They have great closeout deals as well.

Quality gear can be found without spending an arm and a leg, just make sure it fits properly.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    ...Leather two piece or one piece suit, back protector, full face helmet, leather gauntlet gloves, race boots. Basically the same setup as for the track. Downside: you look like a power ranger at lunch spots and makes it a bit difficult to be inconspicuous.
    This is exactly what I wear for all rides (except for the work commutes or errand runs, which I'll swap out the leather pants for jeans). I value my skin, and I'd prefer that my riding partners have similar beliefs.

And if people at lunch are staring, well, they're just jealous that they're not Power Rangers, too.

Think ATGATT.

I was thinking of checking out 303's Sartso Kevlar jeans.
    Last edited by aerofaze; Tue Apr 5th, 2011 at 08:16 AM.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

Quote Originally Posted by aerofaze View Post
    Think ATGATT.
    All The Gear All The Time*

Depending on what size you are, I have some great pants for sale. link

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Sean's always trying to get guy in his pants.....

I'll add my 2 cents, but I want them back, cause I'm poor. I crashed in a mesh jacket and it lifted on me too. Road rash on my stomach, not pretty. The "armor" in the elbow also shifted, so I had a huge hole in my elbow and needed one of my tendons reattached, again.... not pretty. Around town, I think they are ok, but I wouldn't buy another one.

Now I ride in either my leather jacket, or my textile. I was in jeans for most of my riding days, but bought a pair of textile pants at the beginning of this winter. They're more comfortable than jeans and a hell of a lot safer (I was in jeans the same crash and got to see my knee cap while I was in the ER..... yes, not pretty, but it was cool to see).

I feel naked without gloves, so it's a given that I'm always wearing those, and a helmet.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Plus.. you can never have enough jackets, helmets, gloves, boots and pants. If you fill up one gear closet just start another one. You need a summer jacket, a winter one, different colors, matching helmets all that stuff. ATGATT doesn't mean you can't look good.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Plus.. you can never have enough jackets, helmets, gloves, boots and pants. If you fill up one gear closet just start another one.
    I need a new closet. Want to build me one?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli