Thread: Wheel chocks for 4x8 trailer

Wheel chocks for 4x8 trailer

I picked up a 4x8 folding harbor freight trailer (12" tires) with a 5/8" plywood deck and I need some wheel chocks. I only need one for now and possibly another in the future to move a R6 and Ninja 250 or just 2 sport bikes in general. Honestly, I would be a little nervous moving 2 bikes on the trailer as it would be close to load limit and probably a tight fit.

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind ordering something, but it would be handy to pick one up locally (The Springs) so I can start heading to HPR open lapping days ASAP.

Considering what the bikes are worth, money isn't a big factor here. I wouldn't mind spending $100 a piece just so I don't see a bike flying through a ditch next to me.

Not bad?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html

More $$
    http://www.bikebandit.com/motostance...um-wheel-chock

Thanks!

Re: Wheel chocks for 4x8 trailer

I used the HF chocks without any problems on my previous trailer. Even towed my Gixxer all the way out to Cali and back.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I know your asking wheel chocks, but what about the pitbull restraint system? Jim @ TFOG can get some pretty good prices.

First time I loaded up my bike, it paid for itself. Took more time to get the tools out than to install it. And it took more time to secure my loading ramp than to secure the bike haha.

Last edited by Slo; Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 at 11:06 AM.

I used the HF #96349 all last season and it didn't give me a lick of trouble (this was on the same trailer you're using). I liked it so much that I ordered a second in case I ever have to haul 2.

Doing 2 bikes bikes on the 4x8 would be a bit tight, but I have seen guys run a piece of square bar across the front to extend the tie down points outward to make it work.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

Thanks for the info everyone! I will have to look into the pitbull system, but will probably end up with the HF part due to time and wanting to get to the damn track

I used the chock in the first link you posted and it works great. Towed my bike from CO to MD and back 2 or 3 times.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

I run 2 bikes on my 4x8 harbor freight trailer all the time.. I have electical mono strut that is 5 feet long on front and back for tie down, works GREAT!

I just have 2 cheap removable pingal chocks so I can remove and still fold the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post

That chock reminds me of a few F-Buddies I used to know. Cheap and easy to remove. *bah dum tss*.

Foolds, do you have a pic of the "electical mono strut that is 5 feet long" on the trailer? Some day I might be haulin' two bikes so would like to see what you have rigged up.

The HF chock is secured by 4 bolts. Not as quick to install or remove as pop-chock one, but the 4 bolts are easily removed with a 17mm deep socket and drill. I put mine in and take it out each time I got to the track and it's literally no problem.

The upside to the HF one is once you have the bike in the chock, it should support the bike all by itself. I wouldn't haul it that way, but it's enough to give me time to get the Canyon Dancer harness in place. I've had a few transport issues in the past and tend to overdo the tie-downs (4 up front, two in the rear).

Jamie
    MRA #88

I can snap a couple of pics for ya

I have two pingle wheel chocks from my old trailer that need a new home, if you still need some.

http://www.bikebandit.com/pingel-rem...FYi6KgodZyfWeA
    Last edited by Cornfed; Thu Apr 5th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

This is what I used.. cut in half with a Die Grinder

http://www.lowes.com/pd_20281-53911-...rut&facetInfo=

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    This is what I used.. cut in half with a Die Grinder

http://www.lowes.com/pd_20281-53911-...rut&facetInfo=
    Aha! Thanks!
    MRA #88

I have two like the HF ones that I bought at Northern Tool in Austin before moving the bike up here on a similar type of trailer, seemed to work pretty well. Bought another at Northern Tool when they had it on sale for when we have another bike for my wife.