Thread: Ok, I am NEW :-) LOL

Board Newbie

Ok, I am NEW :-) LOL

Ok, yet another question, The CSC has always been great to our Family so I am here asking and ONLY here.......

My parents both have Kawi's and should I keep my grades "EXCELLENT" this year I have a choice ----

1) http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...scid=14&id=737

or

2) http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...0SM.aspx#Specs

or

3) http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...3/DR200SE.aspx

I will need to be Fully responsible for Maintenance and accessories, including GEAR. But I'm torn cause I like the Suzuki but also think the Kawi 250 would be better to "Start" with since that is what my Mom started with and she seems to like it, plus its a little cheaper..... Just looking for suggestions :-) thanks everyone :-)
    Last edited by SniperRider; Mon Aug 5th, 2013 at 06:55 PM.

Re: Ok, I am NEW :-) LOL

What is your riding interest? The DRZ400SM is primarily a street bike even though you can have fun in smooth dirt and the KLX250 is a true dual sport. For a beginner rider I would have no problem with either bike.

I'm 3 years into riding and my parents are still freaked out about it so you're way lucky man xD
    I started (and still ride) on a Ninja 500 and its a great starter bike. I've ridden the 250s too and they are also a solid first bike. Reliable as can be, great on the gas mileage, and nice and light so you can really learn to maneuver a motorcycle, and of course nice and cheap to maintain. I chose the 500 because I didn't want to grow out of my bike as quick as I thought I would on a 250 (and to be honest I probably would have been just fine. I mean he'll they race those things and haul ass. Nothing as humbling as being passed by a 250 when you ride an R6)
    Dual sports I bet are way fun too. I've only sat on one but it was super light and even tho it was way tall for me I think I could've managed it.
    I'd say test some bikes and see what you like. That's the real way to know for sure.
    Were you planning on getting a spanky new bike? Because odds are good you'll drop. Maybe not but most likely. It hurts to drop a shiny pretty bike so I would definitely recommend used.

Otherwise congrats on your hopefully future bike and welcome to the addiction
    Nicole
    Street: 08 Suzuki SV650S
    08 Kawi Ninja 500 *SOLD*
    Track: 03 Yamaha R6

MRA corner worker

Board Newbie

I am working my way to doing Street/Canyon riding that is my primary goal, but I wanna start slow,,, yes I will more then likely wind up starting with a "USED" "fixer upper" bike but I gotta start with looking somewhere, that's kinda why I figured i would start with the easiest to find - On a Manufacture website - then go from there :-) I am only 15Yrs old and My Dad started with the Ninja 650R and My Mom is going to start with the Ninja 250R (she bought a 2011, but has gone through a whole bunch of medical stuff and hasn't actually started as of yet, other then the St Patty's Day Parade.. but my dad made a booboo and made her tip over, she still wants to do street but is still getting over Back Surgery and will be doing MSF a second time very soon then only commuting for a year, then people on this site have already agreed to take her under there wing and teach her Canyon riding after that) My dad has suggested I do "Corner Working" next summer, so I have an idea and a strong starting point!!! But I also wanna start with some dirt riding and obviously some Car stuff before I even attempt street/canyon and or Track riding.. I will also be planning on MSF prior to Street/Canyon but I wanna see if Track would interest me before MSF also, so I am wanting info on "Corner Working" next summer (Plus I hear I can get some great Info from guys out there and watching them do there thing) it has been suggested that I DO NOT have my parents teach me but rather Experienced people only cause of the whole Family vs. Learning thing ;-)

by the way --- My parents are sorta known around these parts as "DemonRider" and "DolphinRider" respectively
    Last edited by SniperRider; Mon Aug 5th, 2013 at 08:13 PM.

That DR-Z is sexAy

Board Newbie

My dad (after riding my mom's 250) said he wished he started with the 250 cause of its lightness and maneuverability, if we didn't have to Lower for my Mom he probably would ride it more then his 650 , hahahah

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    That DR-Z is sexAy

thats why I like it also,,,, LOL. but thats going to take too much convincing- I'm sure, so I just might have to start with a "Fixer Upper"

Quote Originally Posted by SniperRider View Post
    by the way --- My parents are sorta known around these parts as "DemonRider" and "DolphinRider" respectively
    Well then, you're already off to a good start. I have the KLX250S as my dirt bike, it's not overly powerful compared to say a WR250 or DRZ400, but it's pretty good on the trails. On the road I can ride most places that is under 65mph.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by SniperRider View Post
    My dad has suggested I do "Corner Working" next summer
    DO IT

why not start this summer?

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Pick up a used DRZ and have fun!

In addition to your very sensible plan to get into riding, I would suggest a year of seat time in a car; you learn a lot about traffic flow and patterns of idiots out there. In fact, ride shotgun whenever you can right now and practice SEE-ing (See, Evaluate, Execute) traffic.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    In addition to your very sensible plan to get into riding, I would suggest a year of seat time in a car; you learn a lot about traffic flow and patterns of idiots out there. In fact, ride shotgun whenever you can right now and practice SEE-ing (See, Evaluate, Execute) traffic.
    O wow I didn't even think of that

This is absolutely the first place you should start

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    DO IT

why not start this summer?
    Gotta be 16 to start. But I love corner working it pays for my track days and the people are awesome. Big family. Do it
    Nicole
    Street: 08 Suzuki SV650S
    08 Kawi Ninja 500 *SOLD*
    Track: 03 Yamaha R6

MRA corner worker

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerbabe88 View Post
    Gotta be 16 to start. But I love corner working it pays for my track days and the people are awesome. Big family. Do it
    Oh yea. I must be getting old. Really forgetting what it's like to be 16