Thread: No more Superbikes from KTM

Senior Member Moderator

No more Superbikes from KTM

source: http://therideadvice.com/no-more-sup...-public-roads/

There’s a headline you won’t enjoy reading, especially if you’re a fan of KTM and their underrated 1190 RC8. KTM CEO and President Stefan Pierer has stated in no uncertain terms that he believes as a producer of sportsbikes, KTM has a serious responsibility to their customers regarding safety and that therefore means saving you from yourself.
    That statement was made in an interview conducted by legendary motorcycle journalist Alan Cathcart and published in CycleNews magazine. The interview is quite an interesting and lengthy read and was spread out over two issues, but it’s the second part of the discussion that’s a real eye opener.

Stefan Pierer’s shocking announcement came in response to a question regarding KTM’s return to MotoGP in 2016. Here’s the reason for returning to MotoGP:

"We’d like to produce a successor to the existing RC8 V-twin… In which case, let’s do the following: We’ll stick to making a Superbike, but only for closed course usage. So it won’t be homologated for sale as a streetbike. Okay? So then to produce that we will take the best prototype development arena available, which is MotoGP. And for the 2016 season there will be new rules introduced when the playing field will be leveled with a standard electronic system, so then KTM can challenge Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, Suzuki and Aprilia on an equal basis. So that’s the concept for development. We’ll call it the RC16 and it will also be available for the normal customer for track days or private use on track, but it won’t any more be homologated for the street. It’ll be a really serious sports and race item for closed course use only."

Just to make sure he was hearing things correctly, Cathcart pressed the KTM CEO and asked if there would be at least a homologated version of this machine? In answer, Pierer again said “No, because we at KTM think that a sportbike with such performance doesn’t have any place on the public roads.”

He goes on to say the following:

"But let’s be honest, if your Superbike is reaching 200 horsepower or more, it’s impossible to argue that it belongs on the street. It really doesn’t, anymore. As soon as the RC16 is available for customers we will stop with the RC8. The design is outstanding. I would say it’s still state of the art, and there is nothing else like it. It’s a classic Superbike. But with the increase in safety concerns, I’m afraid bikes like this don’t belong on the street, only on a closed course."

So is Stefan Pierer just another CEO completely out of touch with reality and condemning KTM to a future of mediocrity? That’s a difficult argument to make, as Pierer has presided over KTM for a number of years now and its current success is no doubt in large part due to his leadership. He also stated that part of his reasoning is fear of European politicians who would ban motorcycles outright if they could. So in effect, his decision is perhaps one designed to avoid the issues from the 90’s where governments almost intervened to stop the top speed wars.

But it’s also a huge cop-out. KTM’s most powerful bike on sale is the 1290 Super Duke R which produces 177 hp (The 1190 RC 8 R makes 172 hp but weighs 5 kg less). That sort of power has been available in motorcycles since the Hayabusa was released over 15 years ago and the Suzuki certainly had none of the electronic aids that the Duke does such as traction control, lean-sensitive traction control, ABS and various engine modes when it was first released. So why is it now all of a sudden too dangerous for the public?
    Secondly, does this dangerous amount of horsepower also encompass other types of bikes like sports tourers? Say, the 1290 Super Adventure which delivers 160 hp and was only just released? Or are motorcycles only dangerous if they’ve got sportsbike fairings?
    We can understand being cautious of politicians and their desire to interfere, but to leave a motorcycle company who’s motto is ‘Ready to Race’ without a flagship sportsbike you can ride on the road? Does not compute.
    Last edited by Drano; Thu Apr 16th, 2015 at 05:37 AM.

Re: No more Superbikes from KTM

So they're entering the GP league but are discontinuing sportbikes.... makes sense.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR
    2024 Aprilia Tuono Factory Ultra Gold

Gold Member

Dafuq! That Aussie on acid or something? No more cocaine for that guy.

He seems, just out of fucking touch.

If you want to get technical, no sport bike belongs on the road (even 600's) but all in all its up to people to decide whether they ride like idiots or not. One of the stupidest things I've ever heard from someone. KTM won't get that much following on the premier class after this announcement.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Aussie
    *austrian

meh, just make a middleweight that looks like an RC8 and I could care less. Litrebikes don't really need more power. It's not like it's Yamaha's ceo doing this. I'm sure the world is still safe

Guess your bike just turned into an actual investment market value ftw lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    *austrian

meh, just make a middleweight that looks like an RC8 and I could care less. Litrebikes don't really need more power. It's not like it's Yamaha's ceo doing this. I'm sure the world is still safe
    Isn't HE from Australia?

To be fair, Kawasaki isn't releasing the H2R for street use either, only the H2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Hey some added resale value doesn't hurt . I'll have this one for a bit, then maybe get the current superduke in a few years after they're used / cheaper

Can't find his birth cert, but it sounds like a german accent to me

Kawasaki shot too high with those bikes, they haven't been selling at all. Price tag is ridiculous and don't even get me going on maintenance
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    To be fair, Kawasaki isn't releasing the H2R for street use either, only the H2
    Yes, sadly....

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Hey some added resale value doesn't hurt . I'll have this one for a bit, then maybe get the current superduke in a few years after they're used / cheaper

Can't find his birth cert, but it sounds like a german accent to me
    Hmmm. Well either away he's drunk and needs to go home.